Dead But Alive 1.0d - beta

Visual Novel / Simulation game set in a zombie apocalypse setting
jack1974
Pack leader

Dead But Alive 1.0d - beta

Post by jack1974 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:21 am

You can download the beta demo and pre-order here:
http://winterwolves.com/deadbutalive_so ... ngland.htm

remember this game is Windows only! If you have a Mac or Linux, maybe you can get it run with programs like Wine, but try the demo first :P

Some notes:
- it's not a Ren'Py game so rollback, autoskip, etc won't work. You can still press CTRL to skip to the next choice though
- Like Loren, the game by default is censored. However, if you go in the game installation folder and remove the censored.txt file… voilà! 8)
- there are 2 male character romances missing. In next days we'll do a poll and let you vote who you want to be romanceable
- During the combat minigame you can press F1 to get some quick help. If you don’t like it, you can pick auto-combat. You can also change the difficulty of the combat in the game options.

Any feedback is welcome :)

Sylrissa
Druid

Re: Dead But Alive 1.0d - beta

Post by Sylrissa » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:29 pm

And bought!

ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:37 pm

Im having a problem with the demo.
Every time I try to run it, it not only doesnt work but my Taksbar vanish and the only way for it to reappear is to restart my notebook.
Any ideas on how to fix it?

Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:04 pm

I don't think I get it. First fight took about 5 minutes because that spin thing goes on forever, and when it was finally over all my 5 guys had been wounded/killed by 2 zombies for an instant game over. Eh?

Grodul
Young scout

Post by Grodul » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:36 pm

These are the points that came to me during the first 15 minutes that I played the early beta.

I'd like to have a proper prologue to the story. The game starts off immediately from Day 6 of the outbreak (not to mention in the middle of a dangerous situation) without any kind of main character introduction. That left me puzzled and disconnected to the game. Also, I'd like it if the VIPs have some sort of introduction as well. The description in the notebook about them doesn't actually form much of any connection to them.

I would welcome a guide or tutorial to the first combat to the game. How the vending machine works, how do the odds work, where are the survivors and enemies represented as well as what they mean and so on.

I'd like to point out that I was a bit lost when I was at the "camp". I understood that I wanted more resources but not how to start gathering them. Also, I don't believe that there are any descriptions to the icons presented in the camp screen.

While choosing from presented dialogue options during conversations I would have liked to see what was the last comment from NPC characters. In the future I might totally forget what the conversation was about and then it is a bit uncomfortable to make decisions about what to say.

Is it possible to have dialogue proceed to my own pace. I'd like to read slowly while focusing on the text and the current setting is a bit too fast for my tastes.
"Now, hold on a minute. I'm currently speculating."

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:43 pm

ValHallen wrote:Im having a problem with the demo.
Every time I try to run it, it not only doesnt work but my Taksbar vanish and the only way for it to reappear is to restart my notebook.
Any ideas on how to fix it?
I'll ask them, I have no clue since here works. The taskbar disappears too, but after some seconds the game starts (at least here).
Franka wrote:I don't think I get it. First fight took about 5 minutes because that spin thing goes on forever, and when it was finally over all my 5 guys had been wounded/killed by 2 zombies for an instant game over. Eh?
Ah you can slow down the spin clicking on the button at the bottom of it!

Grodul: thanks for the suggestions, I'll pass them to the devs.

Grodul
Young scout

Post by Grodul » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:56 pm

To Jack: You're welcome. Happy to help.
"Now, hold on a minute. I'm currently speculating."

Alex81
Woods ranger

Post by Alex81 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:00 pm

Mmmmh, this is ...special, very very special, I'd say unique.

Really loved the artwork so far, (Darkest Dungeon quality comes to mind :) , yes that's a compliment), the overall mood of the game does it credit.
It's dark, gloomy, a serious tone betweenthe survivors, I'm speaking from first impressions, but I love the characters we meet
(even if I feel, the protagonist is extremely vague, that can be a strength however).

The fights however, or action sequences slot machine however? . . . . . Afraid not for me, at all.
I'm happy there's an easy mode added, as I'm interested in fully exploring the story.
Slot machines ,or puzzlegames for that matter is really really really not my cup of tea.

My being one person who doesn't like that portion of the game, doesn't meant you should (and I guess it's too late for that anyways) change a large portion of the game. The graphics for those fights, the sounds, the slot-machines themselves are well done.

This game is already in a good state, really well done.

For once however? I'm happy I only played the demo

Tell the devs to keep up the good work, hope a lot of people like their game, even if it's not for me

Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:46 pm

Ok, I understand the combat now at least. Tutorial needed here though.

Any way to play in a window rather than full screen? I'd like the graphics downscaled, that would make them easier on the eye too.

Any time there's a distraction, I'm missing a lot of dialogue, would really like click to proceed instead of auto.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:12 am

Alex81 wrote: The fights however, or action sequences slot machine however? . . . . . Afraid not for me, at all.
I'm happy there's an easy mode added, as I'm interested in fully exploring the story.
Slot machines ,or puzzlegames for that matter is really really really not my cup of tea.
Yes when they showed it to me, I warned them that the combat system wasn't for my public. But they have added an auto-skip option, did you find it? the green button on bottom-right, you can click that to skip the combat (auto-resolve). This way even those who wants only to play the story can skip combat altogether.

Franka: AFAIK you can't play in a window, but since the devs read the forums maybe they'll post to explain better :) Unfortunately it's an engine I'm totally unfamiliar with, so I don't know the technical specifications.