Dead But Alive 1.0d - beta

Visual Novel / Simulation game set in a zombie apocalypse setting
Jaeger
Druid

Re: Dead But Alive 1.0d - beta

Post by Jaeger » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:27 am

Slot machine combat isn't my cup tea.

For the lockpicking sequence, W button doesn't move the pick, but S does.

I do like the artwork and writing kept me interested for the duration of the demo.

highcliffe
Young scout

Post by highcliffe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:42 am

Grodul wrote:More notices.

Sometimes during the battle vending machine I see a single cap without multiplication values. Does this mean a "trap", a symbol I'm supposed to stay away from. Does it mean that the total numeric value is multiplied by 1?
If it´s a cap without a numeric value (like 2x or 3x) this will count as 0 for this column only (Like you got 4 + cap + 3, then result = 7). Caps x2 or Caps x 3 multiply the result (Like 4 + 2x cap + 3 = 14).
Grodul wrote: After a certain succesful exploration to the zombie-infested wilderness I noticed that the closing entry about it was missing a bit of text according to the image below:
Can this be adjusted?
Yep. Can you show the whole screenshot? I can then enter the exact text to test.
Grodul wrote: At one point during my gameplay Renate suddenly started talking to me about the group's food situation. She had a suggestion for making it better, but it needed 30 action points and 40 (or something) materials. I didn't have them at that moment but very soon afterwards I did. However, I couldn't tell her that "Hey, I got the stuff you were missing. Do your magic." Can feature such as this be added? Or was the event simply one of those sudden and random encounters at the camp?
[/quote]

If you didn´t tell her to never come back, she will ask again in a couple of game days (if you got the resources at that time). It´s not a critical step in the development of the camp. It´s just nice to have if you do regularly cooking in the camp.

I also fixed the typo the other user mentioned. Thank you.

Grodul
Young scout

Post by Grodul » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:22 pm

highcliffe wrote:Yep. Can you show the whole screenshot? I can then enter the exact text to test.
Unfortunately I didn't save the whole screenshot, so I'll have to play a bit more to find it again. If someone else finds the bug in question, I implore you to send a full screenshot about it to Highcliffe.

Oh yeah, the resolution for my laptop is 1600x900. I hope that'll give you some ideas about possible scale bugs, Cliff.
"Now, hold on a minute. I'm currently speculating."

highcliffe
Young scout

Post by highcliffe » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:52 am

Grodul wrote:
highcliffe wrote:Yep. Can you show the whole screenshot? I can then enter the exact text to test.
Unfortunately I didn't save the whole screenshot, so I'll have to play a bit more to find it again. If someone else finds the bug in question, I implore you to send a full screenshot about it to Highcliffe.

Oh yeah, the resolution for my laptop is 1600x900. I hope that'll give you some ideas about possible scale bugs, Cliff.
No worries. I think I fixed it.

Grodul
Young scout

Post by Grodul » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:54 am

I'm happy to know that.

By the way, there seems to be only one day and evening graphic in the camp. In one we see Steve whittling something and in the other Caroline and Renate are just standing around. How much work / expensive is it to produce these? I think it would be awesome to see such animations portraying the other VIPs as well.

Beardy Bro
Young scout

Post by Beardy Bro » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:17 pm

few things that hit me in the face as soon as i start a new game.
1) WTF with text ?? sorry,but i'm not on LSD sugar and cocaine,i can't read THAT fast. it's as if text have 0 delay.
2) where is THE pause button ? do i need to restart the game just to read it again ? if some1 call me or somtn i'm FORCED to restart to be able to understand wtf goin' on.
okay,playing piano on my keyboard i discover pause button,that makes thing's easier :>
still text is way too fast
3)game still active even if in background (i'm writing and game make sound and pressing buttons :/ )
4) game hide taskbar (that thing at the bottom of the screen) which is not cool,not cool at all.
after 3 mins of playing and my eyes already hurt.
5)after first talk with Carl i can talk with him again (not greyed out),but it has 0 effect.
6)after food thief incident has been resolved,food keep disappearing.
7) in the main quest.where i need to talk to survivors about bandits i chose keep calling,but game says (description on the notepad dunno what it's called) that Steve starting to spill gasoline while i tried to call them down.
also i get even with captured bandit WITHOUT actually capturing him. moreover i keep repeating over and over [this one rendering the game unplayable,because each time i go back to camp this event fire,and i end up making Steve or that TreeHumperGrannie unhappy]

also,not actually care(female or male) but,earlier in the blog it was stated,that MC is genderless,yet the game says "father-daughter" and fiance is a she,which strongly imply that he is a male.
he/it is a indeed a male or hermaphrodite ? :lol:
Last edited by Beardy Bro on Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:32 am, edited 8 times in total.

Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:57 pm

In the manage party menu, when viewing the VIPs, the text in the section blocked out in black for a split second when switching to the next character. It's not a huge deal, it's just a small cosmetic quirk that I noticed.

highcliffe
Young scout

Post by highcliffe » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:30 am

Beardy Bro wrote:few things that hit me in the face as soon as i start a new game.
1) WTF with text ?? sorry,but i'm not on LSD sugar and cocaine,i can't read THAT fast. it's as if text have 0 delay.
The dialogue lines should be visible for 4 seconds. That´s not the case for you?

In this weeks upcoming update you can switch to "click to proceed" mode in the options menu.
Beardy Bro wrote: 2) where is THE pause button ? do i need to restart the game just to read it again ? if some1 call me or somtn i'm FORCED to restart to be able to understand wtf goin' on.
You can press "space" to pause the dialogue.
Beardy Bro wrote: okay,playing piano on my keyboard i discover pause button,that makes thing's easier :>
Great. :)
Beardy Bro wrote: 3)game still active even if in background (i'm writing and game make sound and pressing buttons :/ )
That´s always the case with all programs running in Windows, but I changed it in this weeks upcoming update so the sound & music is muted when you temporarily leave the game (like Alt + Tab) to the desktop or a different program.
Beardy Bro wrote: 4) game hide taskbar (that thing at the bottom of the screen) which is not cool,not cool at all.
after 3 mins of playing and my eyes already hurt.
People requested this in other games we´ve made, but I changed it in this weeks upcoming update so the taskbar reappears when you temporarily leave the game (like Alt + Tab) to the desktop or a different program.
Beardy Bro wrote: 5)after first talk with Carl i can talk with him again (not greyed out),but it has 0 effect.
Yes, there was a bug with the Carl dialogue. Fixed in this weeks upcoming update.
Beardy Bro wrote: 6)after food thief incident has been resolved,food keep disappearing.
Fixed in this weeks upcoming update.
Beardy Bro wrote: 7) in the main quest.where i need to talk to survivors about bandits i chose keep calling,but game says (description on the notepad dunno what it's called) that Steve starting to spill gasoline while i tried to call them down.
also i get even with captured bandit WITHOUT actually capturing him. moreover i keep repeating over and over [this one rendering the game unplayable,because each time i go back to camp this event fire,and i end up making Steve or that TreeHumperGrannie unhappy]
Ack. I apologize. Can you send the savegame where it repeats over and over to info@winterwolves.com ?
Beardy Bro wrote: also,not actually care(female or male) but,earlier in the blog it was stated,that MC is genderless,yet the game says "father-daughter" and fiance is a she,which strongly imply that he is a male.
he/it is a indeed a male or hermaphrodite ? :lol:
[/quote]

Fiancé can be both genders, which is why we´ve used it. I haven´t found any reference for father (except the player is talking alot about his/her father, but that´s something else). Do you still remember where it was? It would be a mistake if it´s in the text.

He is male, female or hermaphrodite, whatever YOU want YOUR hero to be. :)
(In the upcoming update you can choose his or her silhouette)

Beardy Bro
Young scout

Post by Beardy Bro » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:13 am

Grodul
Young scout

Post by Grodul » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:00 pm

A friend of mine, whom I asked to try this demo out, complained that there is no way to adjust the volume except either by turning it on or off. I believe he experienced the music during fights too loud. Can something be done about this?