About this game

Visual Novel / Simulation game set in a zombie apocalypse setting
jack1974
Pack leader

About this game

Post by jack1974 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:37 pm

I'm creating this forum since the beta might start earlier than I thought! For those who haven't read the blogs and want to know more about the game:

blog/2015/07/announcing-dead-but-alive-south-england/
blog/2015/07/dead-but-alive-the-cast/

Summary:
It's a VN/Simulation game set in a zombie apocalypse world. You play as a genderless main character (means it's never explicitly said if you're male or female), and it's seen in first person. There are some optional battle minigames but you can use automatic resolve. There's also an Easy setting, useful for those interested only in the story :wink:

Platforms/Tech:
It's an externally developed game: so I am only publishing it. It doesn't use Ren'Py like all my recent games, so because of that, works only under Windows. A Mac version could be possible but we want first to see how it does on Windows before attempting the port. No Linux version is planned.
It might be possible to run it under Mac using Wine, but we can't offer support with that. Of course we will have a demo version so you'll be able to test it.

Some screenshots I took while testing myself:
Title screen/logo
one of the romance options, Jenny

That's all for now! When the beta/pre-orders start will update this thread.

ValHallen
Druid

Re: About this game

Post by ValHallen » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:52 pm

How a genderless person had a child?

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:14 pm

Genderless means that it's never said in game if you're male or female, so you can think to be whoever you want (male/female/transex/etc), not that the character itself is genderless :lol:

Muramasa_Junko
Young scout

Post by Muramasa_Junko » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:35 pm

I'm hyped for the beta! :)

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:01 am

So, ROFL we discovered today that "South England" is wrong :lol: the right term is "Southern England".
(I should have thought about it sooner!).
Anyway, we're changing the game subtitle in the game/webpage/trailer, but the beta should still start today (Friday) :)

Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

Post by Thee Forsaken One » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:02 am

You could have used 'South of England' or 'South East England' also.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:07 am

Well, it's Southern now! :)

HonestlyVitali
Young scout

Post by HonestlyVitali » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:28 am

jack1974 wrote:Genderless means that it's never said in game if you're male or female, so you can think to be whoever you want (male/female/transex/etc), not that the character itself is genderless :lol:
But you did have a wife in the past, right? So that means you technically can't be a gay man or a straight woman. That doesn't bother me that much, but it may bother some... But I don't know how to fix that (it'd be odd for Emily to say, "I miss my other parent/your spouse"... Maybe "your love" or "the one that raised me"?). But I know you're only publishing it. Just thought I'd put that out there.
But as I said, as long as the playable romance allows for a straight woman or gay man option, I'd totally happy with it, as will most others I bet.

MegaDissu
Young scout

Post by MegaDissu » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:23 pm

HonestlyVitali wrote:
jack1974 wrote:Genderless means that it's never said in game if you're male or female, so you can think to be whoever you want (male/female/transex/etc), not that the character itself is genderless :lol:
But you did have a wife in the past, right? So that means you technically can't be a gay man or a straight woman. That doesn't bother me that much, but it may bother some... But I don't know how to fix that (it'd be odd for Emily to say, "I miss my other parent/your spouse"... Maybe "your love" or "the one that raised me"?). But I know you're only publishing it. Just thought I'd put that out there.
But as I said, as long as the playable romance allows for a straight woman or gay man option, I'd totally happy with it, as will most others I bet.
The character description for the daughter only makes mention of 'her mother' not necessarily indicating that her mom was also your wife/girlfriend/whatever. Could be it was an open adoption and you aren't her birth parent, or possibly her mother was a surrogate using either your sperm or eggs. My problem is more with the page for the beta repeatedly referring to the MC with he/him/his, rather than any gender neutral pronouns.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:26 pm

The website? I thought I had fixed it, but maybe I forgot to update...