About this game

Visual Novel / Simulation game set in a zombie apocalypse setting
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: About this game

Post by jack1974 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:02 am

Exizel wrote: The only gender and sexuality problem I have seen in the game was even about the twins but Riley and his "I'm gay but I want to have sex with Krimm because she was the manliest of all the arena's slave" :roll: , I suppose the arena scenes where he hit on her was written when Riley was bi and wasn't changed when it was decide he was going to be gay so the writer created a excuse in his romance arc.
No Riley was always supposed to be gay only. I remember when reading those scenes I asked the writer too, and he said that it was just him teasing Krimm. Riley is often mocked by other party members so he wanted to side with Krimm in that scene, the manliest character (despite being a woman :lol:). Something like that. It wasn't supposed to be bisex at all.

Exizel
Woods ranger

Post by Exizel » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:08 am

Strange I'm sure that I read somewhere that he and chalassa were supposed to be bi.
if he wasn't it makes the "I'm gay but I want to have sex with Krimm because she was the manliest of all the arena's slave" excuse he give to shea really...strange

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:57 am

No not because of that, but to look "tougher" in front of the others, since they started mocking Riley very early in the story :lol: but as you've seen Riley fails at even just looking tougher!

kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:59 pm

Exizel wrote:Strange I'm sure that I read somewhere that he and chalassa were supposed to be bi.
if he wasn't it makes the "I'm gay but I want to have sex with Krimm because she was the manliest of all the arena's slave" excuse he give to shea really...strange
That was an unfortunate response. Gay men are normal men, they just like dudes. So I always find the Bi men more similar in games to gay men than the gay ones. The guy who seemed most "stereotypical gay' due to mannerisms and character in one of these games was actually Dominic in Roommates. He pinged like crazy, I know gay dudes just like him.

As far as the genderless aspect, I feel like it works most of the time, and even in many choice of games it works somewhat well. But there is definitely the feeling the main character is a guy in this one. And that isn't a bad thing, but it works better for things like Skyrim (not genderless but mostly works as one) where there isn't an inner monologue or an in depth background.

Heck, the first Bioshock felt genderless and it certainly wasn't. Genderless games work great when exploration and combat is key. Also, Steve and his love of being Steve makes it impossible to imagine your character as insert able as any race as well. It helps when it is written from a neutral standpoint.

It may also work better in fantasy where it isn't as much a talking point about gender (except amazons) or race. So making a character a self insert and then making these talking points a major part can feel weird. Like they always think I am one thing, or at least they have no idea what I am and are assuming I am what they think. Most of the time, that means being a white guy, at least from what the game seems like from the demo.