Cursed Lands version 0.6.8

jack1974
Pack leader

Cursed Lands version 0.6.8

Post by jack1974 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:44 am

Get the updated build on itch.io (purchasers only for now, I'll make a demo later):
https://winter-wolves.itch.io/cursed-lands

​What's new in 0.6.8

- fixed wrong display price in shops when buying/selling items (now they match the actual money you get)
- fixed some wrong skills like Sylrissa's Cross Cut that didn't use the highest skill level (would always use Novice even if you had learned Journeyman/Expert)
- added info in the skills description whenever you can use it even if you're paralyzed (mostly healing/defensive buffs skills). I decided to do this so at least when you get paralyzed by enemies you have more options beside using "Rest" :)

​What's new in 0.6.7

- fixed more typos
- fixed another crash in a very specific dwarf male hairstyle (I found it randomly!)
- now jasper in boat at sunset shows up in his second recruitment scene
- days to next full moon counted properly

​What's new in 0.6.6

- fixed the "Hair Style 0" crash bug. Now you can have bald characters as well! :)
- when choosing background profession, tooltip text is right now
- fixed a lot of typos (thanks to Akar Dorn)
- by mistake left some testing code so that you would instantly rescue Enok/Sylrissa (unfortunately those sidequests aren't written yet). I put a temporary placeholder instead!
- added delete savegame button in the load/save screen
- now you are fully healed between arena battles: since you can do max 3 anyway, it's enough to stop grinding too much. Also it's entirely optional, so better leave more freedom for those who like to do it :)

Current Content

It contains all the game content up to the end of the first full moon mission. So not many camp talk yet (there are going to be many between the 1st and 2nd full moon missions).

Please note that you need to kill just one vampire lieutenant inside N'Mar to complete the mission. Defeating all four is optional, and shouldn't be easy (depending on difficulty level).

Anyways, if you see any bug or plot hole (with such a complex game it's possible) let me know :)

Savegames from the demo won't work, though saves from this version should at 99% work with future updates :oops:

Harbinger1975
Young scout

Re: Cursed Lands version 0.6.5

Post by Harbinger1975 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:54 pm

Jack, for those of us who are top teir patreon supporters, how do we get the code for the game if we want to prepurchase?
"Direct intervention is necessary. Assuming direct control."

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:57 pm

Haha I just posted about this on Patreon! I'll send you a download key :)

Harbinger1975
Young scout

Post by Harbinger1975 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:58 pm

Cool, thanks Jack :)
"Direct intervention is necessary. Assuming direct control."

Akar Dorn
Young scout

Post by Akar Dorn » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:55 am

First of all, thank you for demo, this game promises to become one of your best and I am already in love with characters, especially Sylrissa (I'll explain why further :lol: ). You are doing a great job :P
Buuuuut...
I hope you will not blame me for a small feedback :mrgreen:

Bugs, typos and fun:
Spoiler:
1) This game hates "Hair Style 0". No matter did I choose male or female character all the time I experimented with their appearance I've got next:
Spoiler:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 485, in execute_call_screen
store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
Exception: DynamicImage u'gfx/protag/female_[prace]_hair[protag_hairstyle]_light.webp': could not find image. (u'gfx/protag/female_elf_hair0_light.webp')

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/gameflow.rpyc", line 292, in script call
�®O.61�7U�2W������3�q �Y$���|\��M{����
File "game/plot/mainevents.rpyc", line 85, in script
�O26x�R�l��y
File "D:\Winter Wolves\CursedLands (alpha 2)\renpy\ast.py", line 1775, in execute
self.call("execute")
File "D:\Winter Wolves\CursedLands (alpha 2)\renpy\ast.py", line 1763, in call
return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
File "D:\Winter Wolves\CursedLands (alpha 2)\renpy\statements.py", line 163, in call
return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 485, in execute_call_screen
store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
File "D:\Winter Wolves\CursedLands (alpha 2)\renpy\exports.py", line 2612, in call_screen
rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
File "D:\Winter Wolves\CursedLands (alpha 2)\renpy\ui.py", line 287, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "D:\Winter Wolves\CursedLands (alpha 2)\renpy\display\core.py", line 2553, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
File "D:\Winter Wolves\CursedLands (alpha 2)\renpy\display\core.py", line 2821, in interact_core
root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
File "D:\Winter Wolves\CursedLands (alpha 2)\renpy\display\core.py", line 495, in visit_all
d.visit_all(callback)
File "D:\Winter Wolves\CursedLands (alpha 2)\renpy\display\core.py", line 495, in visit_all
d.visit_all(callback)
d.visit_all(callback)
File "D:\Winter Wolves\CursedLands (alpha 2)\renpy\display\screen.py", line 405, in visit_all
self.child.visit_all(callback)
d.visit_all(callback)
d.visit_all(callback)
d.visit_all(callback)
d.visit_all(callback)
File "D:\Winter Wolves\CursedLands (alpha 2)\renpy\display\core.py", line 497, in visit_all
callback(self)
File "D:\Winter Wolves\CursedLands (alpha 2)\renpy\display\core.py", line 2821, in <lambda>
root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
File "D:\Winter Wolves\CursedLands (alpha 2)\renpy\display\image.py", line 607, in per_interact
self.find_target()
File "D:\Winter Wolves\CursedLands (alpha 2)\renpy\display\image.py", line 519, in find_target
raise Exception(error)
Exception: DynamicImage u'gfx/protag/female_[prace]_hair[protag_hairstyle]_light.webp': could not find image. (u'gfx/protag/female_elf_hair0_light.webp')

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.13.2919

2) Typos. Typos. Typos.
Spoiler:
When you need to choose a profession, description, in fact, repeats text from previous slide and thus debt collectors become a new race in the Aravorn :lol:
Spoiler:
When Karen orders Leena to serve with protagonist she called player's character "him". My female elf was gravely offended
Spoiler:
Here I must sincerely admit that English isn't my native language so I may be wrong at this point.
When PC and Sylrissa run out of lizards she says:
Get behind me and wrap our arms around me
It has to be "your", yes?
I've got rich imagination but I can't understand why Sylrissa needs to hug herself and how it must help her to swim faster :oops:
Spoiler:
You and Leena discuss nagas in your team. And PC says:
As long as they're brutal with undead, I have no problem with it. Buy anyway, what whould want me to do?
Should it be "But anyway" and "what whould you want"?
Spoiler:
In prison with Galan. He may say:
I've tried for years and years to chase it away. To control my temper. m doing my best to tame it. To remain calm at all times. But there are still times when it takes over. It could happen at any times. And that terrifies me.
Something definetly is missed here :?
Spoiler:
When you visits Sylrissa first time after escaping lizards and choose "Bad memories". She says:
I understand, (PC's name). I don't wish to relive that memory either. but whenever I go back to where I lost saw Enok, I can't chase those thoughts from my head
Funny that the last phrase still makes sense but I'm sure Enok isn't a saw 8)
Spoiler:
Kusho in one of the dialogs. I don't remember which one :oops:
Every day that passes with those woodcrashers rampaging about, this forest grows closer to death. The this forest, and everyone and everything living here, their lives are in the balance. The woodcrasher plague must be ended.
Again, my English is far from perfect but should it be simply "This forest" whithout "the"?

3) Almost typos. In some dialogs boxes with character's names disappear and what companion says seem like PC's thoughts. Those are:
Spoiler:
Leena (during first meeting):
You're wrong. But you have a pretty face...
Dasyra (after confessing she is a thief):
(PC's name), can you talk?

4) And vise versa.
Spoiler:
During first or second meeting with Vaeril PC says:
I place my hand in front of me, palms turned upwards
In a context, it has to be their thoughts and actions, not a phrase

5) Enok, the Lord of Bugs, Destroyer of the Script
a) (Not sure it's a bug) When you meet him the first time and try to learn about his past you can ask him about it directly or choose a more subtle way. He appreciates directness and resents if you use the second option. However your relationships grow either way.
b) (Definetly a bug) And it is awesome :lol:
Spoiler:
In the beginning I saved Sylrissa and when she decided to rescue Enok I've got a hilarious scene:

Sylrissa: Let's save Enok!
PC: YES!
Game: (black screen)
Game: You have gained a new party member!

No mission, no battles, no dialogs at all! Sylrissa is just cool enough to play "Cursed Lands" whithout a player!
But that's not all.
When I spoke with Enok after this he was sad because during our first meeting Sylrissa was captured. Do you see how cool they are? They changed timeline of the game just because they are cool 8) 8) 8)

Now let be more serious. There are two moments in game which I found a little bit confusing for now:
Spoiler:
1) Arena battles. Your HP and SP do not return to max value after each battle if you play them one by one during one day. However there is an exploit. If you left arena, go to global map and go back, all your characters will have maximum health and mana for the next fight. It simplifies arena but time-consuming and as I mentioned confusing so it will be good to add auto-regeneration between arena fights or close or vise versa block any regeneration her at all.
Or may be I am complaining too much. :oops:
2) How to delete a save game :?: There are only save, load and quick save options in menu!

P.S. Version from itch(app) is broken. When I've tried to enter the name of the character game crashed. During the dialog with soldiers game crashed. And right before first battle... you know. The last one is gamebreaking. If with the first two you can simple press "ignore" and continue to play, the last one will not surrender that easily.
But if you download game from itch.io directly everithing works fine (except "Hair Style 0").

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:23 am

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check everything, but the last point is weird: are you saying that if you download the game with the itch.io app, game crashes, while if you download the zip (not the demo, the full game) it works?! :shock:

jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Cursed Lands version 0.6.6

Post by jack1974 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:41 am

Just uploaded 0.6.6 with various fixes. I changed the arena so that you heal, since you can do max 3 fights each day, I think is fine. It's better to leave more freedom to players I think - if they want to grind each day (TOTALLY NOT REQUIRED!!!) they can do it :lol:
And Enok/Sylrissa were placeholders haha because their sidequests/romances are still missing. So I just put that to quickly test having the characters in the party for the latter stages, but I forgot to remove it :mrgreen:

Akar Dorn
Young scout

Post by Akar Dorn » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:44 am

jack1974 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:23 am
Thanks for the feedback, I'll check everything, but the last point is weird: are you saying that if you download the game with the itch.io app, game crashes, while if you download the zip (not the demo, the full game) it works?! :shock:
Yes, exactly. Firstly, I used link from this topic, bought the game***, downloaded and... then I decided: "I've got Steam, Origin, even Uplay, another app on my desktop will not hurt. Oh, it also can download "Cursed lands" on itself, I won't dig among files to find this game in the future. Good."

No, bad. Right now I've got two "Cursed lands" in different directories and one on itch.io app is literary cursed. They don't seem different by the way but may be I missed something.

Spoiler:
This was actually silly for I could just ask you on Patreon (yep, tier is enough) but you may think about it like childish philantropy :oops:

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:47 am

Ah really weird. I'm going to try using the client too and see if I get it. Maybe you could try to remove both "things" and update? But looks like some kind of Itch.io bug to me (in this case I'll tell them, they are very active on twitter).

Sorry about the double purchase :(

Akar Dorn
Young scout

Post by Akar Dorn » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:03 am

jack1974 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:47 am
Ah really weird. I'm going to try using the client too and see if I get it. Maybe you could try to remove both "things" and update? But looks like some kind of Itch.io bug to me (in this case I'll tell them, they are very active on twitter).

Sorry about the double purchase :(
First, after update crashes vanished , so now it seems all right (at least in already mentioned moments, I'll check full game later).
Second, nothing to be sorry about. I like your games, especially SOTW which unexpectedly become one of my favorite games at all (yes, including AAA titles), so as I said consider it as a philantropy :)