Cursed Lands alpha demo 0.6.3

Classic VN/RPG, all romance combos, social talent system https://www.winterwolves.com/cursedlands.htm
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: Cursed Lands alpha demo 0.6.1

Post by Franka »

Things I'd like to see in the character creator (just quality of life improvements):

- Freckles / scars
- Makeup / blush / lipstick

All race options are unlocked in the portrait creator, regardless of what race you to chose to play. Not that I don't like freedom, but pointy-eared dwarves and bearded human women are maybe a little bit immersion breaking. (It's actually worse than that I see, I'm being referred to as "elf" because I picked an elf portrait, but my character screen identifies me as a human.)

Text is initially set to auto-forward. This is obnoxious. I hate it. Also, you have to fill the auto-forward speed bar to slow it down, this is rather counter intuitive.

First line of the game has a typo:
"I breath in," should be "breathe".

Changing game difficulty then rolling back undoes the change. Shouldn't changes in the options screen be saved when making them?

"Thank gods your still alive."
Since this is dialogue, I'm hesitant to cry typo, but "Thank the gods you're still alive." would be what I'd expect. In any case your / you're is definitely something that should be fixed.

"As I glance to my left and ride,"
I'm assuming this is supposed to be "left and right"

Unequipping the armor/helm I start with, then opening the armor inventory (before the first fight) causes an error.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/gameflow.rpy", line 12, in script call
  File "game/plot/mainevents.rpy", line 308, in script call
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1355, in script
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 471, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 232, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 347, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 352, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 1032, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 1107, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 1108, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 796, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 834, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 838, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 840, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 841, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 842, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 763, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 780, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 793, in execute
AttributeError: 'Cuirass' object has no attribute 'seen'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/gameflow.rpy", line 12, in script call
  File "game/plot/mainevents.rpy", line 308, in script call
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1355, in script
  File "F:\Temp\CursedLands-0.6.1-steam\renpy\ast.py", line 1706, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "F:\Temp\CursedLands-0.6.1-steam\renpy\ast.py", line 1724, in call
    return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "F:\Temp\CursedLands-0.6.1-steam\renpy\statements.py", line 145, in call
    return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 471, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
  File "F:\Temp\CursedLands-0.6.1-steam\renpy\exports.py", line 2526, in call_screen
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "F:\Temp\CursedLands-0.6.1-steam\renpy\ui.py", line 285, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "F:\Temp\CursedLands-0.6.1-steam\renpy\display\core.py", line 2526, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "F:\Temp\CursedLands-0.6.1-steam\renpy\display\core.py", line 2793, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "F:\Temp\CursedLands-0.6.1-steam\renpy\display\core.py", line 495, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "F:\Temp\CursedLands-0.6.1-steam\renpy\display\core.py", line 495, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "F:\Temp\CursedLands-0.6.1-steam\renpy\display\screen.py", line 399, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "F:\Temp\CursedLands-0.6.1-steam\renpy\display\core.py", line 2793, in <lambda>
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "F:\Temp\CursedLands-0.6.1-steam\renpy\display\screen.py", line 409, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "F:\Temp\CursedLands-0.6.1-steam\renpy\display\screen.py", line 578, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 347, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 352, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 1107, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 1108, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 834, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 838, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 840, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 841, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 842, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 780, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 793, in execute
  File "<screen language>", line 793, in <module>
AttributeError: 'Cuirass' object has no attribute 'seen'

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.2187
Isn't the time delay on Reason kind of excessive? We already have a pretty bad negative if we fail, but we also have to wait forever before we can try again.

Trying to flee (using Reason) from the first battle tells me that the Zombie will never surrender peacefully! I wasn't trying to get them to surrender, I was trying to run away.

"But for you sake" typo, should be "your"

I only used 3 people for the first fight, when the boss fight started I put the fourth guy in, but the battle started with only 3 people.

"And yet they many stand in place, doing nothing." Probably delete "they" from that sentence in order for it to make sense.

"The fog was thick - to thick for me" should be "too thick"

I don't care much for my own character in the intro - commanding soldiers more efficiently than their own trained commander, smugly identifying and dealing with a vampire. I'm already getting horrible Mary Sue vibes. I hope my character isn't a perfect idealized entity that can do anything, knows everything, saves the world without breaking a sweat, and is home in time for dinner.

Anyway, that's all I had time for. Most fun so far? Fiddling with the character creator! (Sorry the feedback is all jumbled together like that, I took notes as I was playing so no formatting.)
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Cursed Lands alpha demo 0.6.2

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks for the feedback, regarding some points:
Franka wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:49 am All race options are unlocked in the portrait creator, regardless of what race you to chose to play. Not that I don't like freedom, but pointy-eared dwarves and bearded human women are maybe a little bit immersion breaking. (It's actually worse than that I see, I'm being referred to as "elf" because I picked an elf portrait, but my character screen identifies me as a human.)
This is a bug, I wanted the player to be able to change the race again from that screen, without the need to go back. But maybe isn't a good idea? Anyway the issue is that the change of race in the screen it's not stored in the game, so that's why you had those problems! :mrgreen:
Franka wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:49 am Text is initially set to auto-forward. This is obnoxious. I hate it. Also, you have to fill the auto-forward speed bar to slow it down, this is rather counter intuitive.
Another bug :)
Franka wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:49 am Changing game difficulty then rolling back undoes the change. Shouldn't changes in the options screen be saved when making them?
I didn't change that part from previous games, so I guess it happened there too. Honestly I don't think I can change it, I do everything as it should be in Ren'Py, but somehow using rollback it changes it back. I'll see what I can do :)
Franka wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:49 am Isn't the time delay on Reason kind of excessive? We already have a pretty bad negative if we fail, but we also have to wait forever before we can try again.

Trying to flee (using Reason) from the first battle tells me that the Zombie will never surrender peacefully! I wasn't trying to get them to surrender, I was trying to run away.
Yes, I was using that delay because that talent was quite powerful (being able to skip a battle). But that was before other changes, like you get no loot from fleeing a battle/having a draw. That's already a penalty big enough. The text needs to be changed maybe, however Reason skill says: "negotiate a temporary cease-fire, allowing player to either flee, or get a pre-emptive strike."
So in practice you tried to talk with the skeletons bu they don't want a cease fire. I'll change maybe surrender to cease-fire then!
Franka wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:49 am I don't care much for my own character in the intro - commanding soldiers more efficiently than their own trained commander, smugly identifying and dealing with a vampire. I'm already getting horrible Mary Sue vibes. I hope my character isn't a perfect idealized entity that can do anything, knows everything, saves the world without breaking a sweat, and is home in time for dinner.
No in later scenes, are the other characters who "teach" the player (in some cases depends which choice you pick).
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: Cursed Lands alpha demo 0.6.2

Post by Franka »

jack1974 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:02 amThe text needs to be changed maybe, however Reason skill says: "negotiate a temporary cease-fire, allowing player to either flee, or get a pre-emptive strike."
So in practice you tried to talk with the skeletons bu they don't want a cease fire. I'll change maybe surrender to cease-fire then!
Well, you can talk them into a pre-emptive strike, so apparently they're not immune to being talked to. :P
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: Cursed Lands alpha demo 0.6.3

Post by Franka »

jack1974 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:23 am- fixed crash when unequipping the default items (related to the new feature of marking new acquired items with a small white (i) icon)

- change party minimum size to 4 for first encounters to avoid the bug of adding a fourth only for the vampire battle (I think it happens becase they're not real party characters buy NPCs). This way you need to use all 4 :mrgreen:
You should know by now that I like to do unexpected things when beta/alpha testing, just to see if I can break the game. :wink:
Player00013
Young scout

Post by Player00013 »

I played the demo and Enok is so sweet just like I imagined, he's still dangerous like Sylrissa but still cuter and more innocent, even if she is "without sin", definetely the first romance I want to try :give_rose:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Franka wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:24 pm You should know by now that I like to do unexpected things when beta/alpha testing, just to see if I can break the game. :wink:
Yes lol. That's a good thing for me though! :)
Player00013 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:24 pm I played the demo and Enok is so sweet just like I imagined, he's still dangerous like Sylrissa but still cuter and more innocent, even if she is "without sin", definetely the first romance I want to try :give_rose:
Glad you liked him. I think the two nagas are going to be the most popular romances of this game :mrgreen:
Palmettogamer14
Woods ranger

Post by Palmettogamer14 »

There are some other typos as well but I can't remember where.

One bug I noticed is the when you've used the Assist bard skill it causes the screen where it says do you want to ignore the bug, rollback, or exit the game to appear.

But overall it's quite impressive and has many features I haven't seen in other games so I'm looking to see the rest of the game. Although again I can understand why you don't want to make the entire game accessible at this stage.

One other thing: I'm confused by how are we supposed to get a full relationship meter when we only have a limited time to gather our party together?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Palmettogamer14 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:22 am One bug I noticed is the when you've used the Assist bard skill it causes the screen where it says do you want to ignore the bug, rollback, or exit the game to appear.
I think I fixed that, but I'm going to look :)
Palmettogamer14 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:22 am But overall it's quite impressive and has many features I haven't seen in other games so I'm looking to see the rest of the game. Although again I can understand why you don't want to make the entire game accessible at this stage.
The main plot missions are missing, so even if I made the whole game available players wouldn't be able to play it (I do it using developer tools to skip parts/set variables).
Palmettogamer14 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:22 am One other thing: I'm confused by how are we supposed to get a full relationship meter when we only have a limited time to gather our party together?
You have limited time for the first full moon, but there are 3 more, each one with 30 days of time between each other. I am testing and I am at day 75-80 when I reached the romance CG + the 2 bonus pin-up CG scenes with Nuala/Vaeril already :)
Palmettogamer14
Woods ranger

Post by Palmettogamer14 »

jack1974 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:14 am
Palmettogamer14 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:22 am One bug I noticed is the when you've used the Assist bard skill it causes the screen where it says do you want to ignore the bug, rollback, or exit the game to appear.
I think I fixed that, but I'm going to look :)
Palmettogamer14 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:22 am But overall it's quite impressive and has many features I haven't seen in other games so I'm looking to see the rest of the game. Although again I can understand why you don't want to make the entire game accessible at this stage.
The main plot missions are missing, so even if I made the whole game available players wouldn't be able to play it (I do it using developer tools to skip parts/set variables).
Palmettogamer14 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:22 am One other thing: I'm confused by how are we supposed to get a full relationship meter when we only have a limited time to gather our party together?
You have limited time for the first full moon, but there are 3 more, each one with 30 days of time between each other. I am testing and I am at day 75-80 when I reached the romance CG + the 2 bonus pin-up CG scenes with Nuala/Vaeril already :)
Oh wow! So once we get our party together we can go past the first moon and we won't fail our mission as long as we complete the game before last full moon, right?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, there's also an achievement if you manage to recruit ALL characters before the second full moon :)
(since it's an optional step, in theory once you recruit one for each race/faction + Jasper, you have a team big enough).