development thread

Classic VN/RPG, all romance combos, social talent system https://www.winterwolves.com/cursedlands.htm
Madance
Druid

Re: development thread

Post by Madance »

Well, the Amazons don't consider themselves to be human, so you don't really need to change it, unless you think it would be necessary.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well from narrative point of view "soldier" works just fine, so I've changed it :) that was the only point of the story in which she calls the human empire that way, so...
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

After the intro you're brought to Grimoire, where our old friend Apolimesho will do a simple test... to verify if you're android or human! :lol: :lol:
I'm joking obviously but the whole thing reminded me of Blade Runner somehow :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'm also pleased to say that I got all the final sketches for the portraits: for the main character there will be 40 unique portraits x 3 hair colors x 3 eye colors x 3 skin colors = 1080 unique faces! I'm including male/female obviously, so "only" 640 unique combinations each :lol:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Holden: The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not with out your help. But you're not helping.

Leon's upper lip is quivering.

Leon: Whatya means, I'm not helping?

Holden: I mean you're not helping! Why is that, Leon?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha, exactly! :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

/nods to myself
This is going to be a great game. Doing the portrait thing was a great idea I think, I just have the female elf and I already am having fun! 8)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

more tests :lol:
I'll stop here otherwise I'll spam the forums with various character portraits! The combos possible are many, sadly for the skin color I won't be able to go darker than the one above (I should redraw all the noses/mouth/etc to match it... insane work for all the combos!). Hopefully people will appreciate the efforts nonetheless!
Katicflis
Young scout

Post by Katicflis »

Why can't the skin color go darker than that? I'd barely call that tan ... and that's a shame when you can't even make the customizeable avatar anything darker than 'pretty damn white' in a game that doesn't really have much skin diversity in the main character pool.

I like my pirotess'esque elf characters.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Because all the shadings done on the mouth/nose and even the shadow on the skin cast by the hair uses same palette as the skin and it's a separate photoshop layer :(
So I should separate all the shadows into a new layer, basically the same amount of work x3-4 times. Also this way the VRAM used by the texture would be insane (portrait is 720x720px), and probably it would slow down everything on mobile (or perhaps not even run in low-end devices).
There are many technical issues, but of course I understand. Doing customizable stuff in 2d it's a super pain in the ass.
I'll see what I can do, probably it's easier to just ask artist to recolor it doing a separate version...!