development thread

Classic VN/RPG, all romance combos, social talent system https://www.winterwolves.com/cursedlands.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: development thread

Post by jack1974 »

Today added two very important talents. First, the possibility for an enemy to attack another enemy (they won't use skills since would be too complex but they still do melee damage to each other and it's fun!).
then, the possibility that an enemy completely flees the battle:
it was a super productive morning :) the only talents left involve enemies giving the player a random item and attacking an enemy of the player's choice. Not much left to do anyway. I think I could have an alpha version later this week :)
mastro
Young scout

Post by mastro »

Hey let me say this.
I have to really admire what you do with the RPGs. I mean I think I read somewhere a comment, a stupid one. They said you were just reskinning the same game. Haha. That is true for many people using renpy, but how someone can say this about you, I don't understand.

Looking at it:
Loren - was the first
SOTW - you did so many changes, randomized loot, iso map, no skilltrees, traits, new AI system
QoT - yes I didn't like much the randomized missions, but still talking about hte RPG, you removed front/back row, added the defense system, paperdoll characters, and the gems!
now this game seems to be once more different with the talents and enemies personalities.

Keep the good work and ignore what people say, I have yet to play a RPG from you that looks the same of a previous one you made!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks, I don't claim I'm making innovative games but at least I try to change a bit between games :)
I've been working on the last talents but today was really a pain because of some idiocy with Google Play... Amber was rejected and the email was hilarious, it was like "yeah your app was rejected for several POSSIBLE causes. But we're not going to tell you WHAT! Would be too easy! You need to find out yourself WHY! Let's play a game!" :lol:
I removed the screenshots with Ruby since all I can think about is the "sexyness" of that outfit. Otherwise I have no clue (it's not like Amber is a particularly sexy game!!).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Back to this game I just managed to code the last few talents, including the ones that give an item to the player. Obviously now need to tweak them, since obtaining a free item it's not something incredibly powerful, (you can still buy the items after all) but if I allow it to work too much could become a sort of cheat mode (well this is true for most talents, that's why you will be able to earn only a few in the whole game).
I'm also thinking if to have them work maybe only once per battle. Or increase the SP/time cost greatly.
Anyways will do some more tests and then in the next days have an alpha version for those who're curious :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

haha this is probably the biggest hack I've done to this framework :lol:
I tweaked the enemy AI so that using the Sympathize talent, the target enemy would fight for you. As you can see from the screenshot, the skeleton crusader used shield bash on the skeleton warden stunning him, and in the second one of the skeleton above used protect to one of your party members! :lol:
Of course it will need to be tested carefully, I'm not yet sure it will work on all cases, but for now I want to keep as it is (if gives too many problems I can always replace it with something else).
This was the last thing to code, I'm still missing the new talents icons and the protagonist's portrait but a good amount of stuff is done :)
Madance
Druid

Post by Madance »

Well, I'm not against having all the talents if the level permit it, maybe if this "cheat" could be unlocked after beating the game. T____T
Now, I'm glad things are going well...
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I have a cheat mode system myself to test. Maybe I'll tell slightly crazy people how to enable it :lol:
But really, some are so powerful that I've already nerfed them. Like this one, at one point I had only 3 enemies, all "charmed", that would just fight each other. Was hilarious to see, but a bit overpowered!! :mrgreen:
Madance
Druid

Post by Madance »

But as a "cheat" I supposed it would be ok...
Gods know how much I wished the SOTW had a cheat mode, since I really wanted to get all those skills... Oh, the pain!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Actually there was a cheat mode on SOTW... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
But I disabled it in the final game! haha sorry
Madance
Druid

Post by Madance »

WHYYYYYY?! T___T *sob*
You should update it and add the cheat mode after the player beat the game(Like Loren did). PLEASE.