development thread

Classic VN/RPG, all romance combos, social talent system https://www.winterwolves.com/cursedlands.htm
Callista
Young scout

Re: development thread

Post by Callista »

I must say that I really like the screenshot of the map. It looks totally great. :D
Looking for a high quality editor? Then check out my page here: https://callista.itch.io/
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

finished the profession screen, and also made some consequences more obvious (like showing the talents you unlocked after you choose race/profession). I also found out that the merchant bonus (reduced prices in all stores by default) wasn't correctly applied until now :mrgreen:

There are a small of details like the one above that I still need to check, and I should also add a few more camp talks before I can put the demo out.
Also the demo will be a bit cruel... since will show the basically finished game, but you won't be able to buy/play it until next year :oops:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I also implemented another missing "feature": if you don't have the Acuity talent, you won't be able to see enemy HP/SP, skills and elemental resistances.
Might not seem much (I remember some user saying "who on Earth would pick that talent!") but honestly, playing the match it made some difference: for example an enemy has a very low HP... without seeing the exact number, you don't know if your 8dmg hit will kill him or not. So, it definitely has some impact on the fight, much more than I thought. Of course, unless you play in Easy/Normal difficulty :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Extra scene with Kusho and a nice Myrth cameo added. It's a fun scene, and there's also some bits about Rei. Kusho and Rei are two "bragmasters". It must be natural for elf assassins to behave like that :mrgreen:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

jack1974 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:14 am I also implemented another missing "feature": if you don't have the Acuity talent, you won't be able to see enemy HP/SP, skills and elemental resistances.
Might not seem much (I remember some user saying "who on Earth would pick that talent!") but honestly, playing the match it made some difference
I'm still not convinced! :P
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah so it was you!! Well, as I said if you play in Easy/Normal, probably yes it's not so important. In nightmare, if you don't know if enemy has 10 or 12 HP, and your next attack does 10, in some situations you could risk to attack an enemy that still remains alive and maybe in the next turns they kill you :mrgreen:
But if doesn't have a BIG impact it's fine, since it's a passive skill, and all other passive skill don't have any big advantages in battle (they just give a bonus in the chances of success of the relative talent category).
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Anyway, does this mean that damage is fixed and not random?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes the system is derived from Queen Of Thieves, the only thing I changed* is that now the evasion/avoidance can't be disabled (since some skills rely to that). But even if you miss, you only do 25% less damage, so not half like in QoT.
Also, weapons now have more impact since they have a damage value that it's added AFTER all calculations. So even a weapon with +2 dmg bonus can make quite a difference during a battle :)

*related to damage, because I changed (as usual) 32109873 things vs my last RPG. It plays quite differently IMHO!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Jasper is the only character (well also the protagonist can, if you want!) to use guns. There aren't many (are rare in Aravorn) but they're quite powerful.
Because I like to complicate my life, and I don't want to make one RPG similar to another, I even added a specific skill for guns items (the icon is just something I put together quickly, but I'll have a good one made by artist).
Some guns like the Blunderbuss even do AOE damage 8)

Lol, the more I work with this framework, and the more I realized how great it is, very versatile once you get to know the code well. I'm almost wishing that Anima takes longer to code the new one :mrgreen:
(I'm joking of course, but this sytem was really good!)
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

jack1974 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:07 am Image
Jasper is the only character (well also the protagonist can, if you want!) to use guns.
They can no matter what ya mean? That'd seriously OWN!!!!!! :twisted:
jack1974 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:07 am Image
Some guns like the Blunderbuss even do AOE damage 8)
Sweet! 8) Is there a limit to how many can be equipped?

Which just made me think of this: what about dual-wielding pistols?! Could we see that? :twisted: