development thread

Classic VN/RPG, all romance combos, social talent system https://www.winterwolves.com/cursedlands.htm
Player00013
Young scout

Re: development thread

Post by Player00013 »

jack1974 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:46 am Image
Finished both nagas first "camp talk". Now I could make the game demo. Of course I'm going to send the texts to the writer first.
I am not sure if doing the demo right now is a good idea though. I mean, it will be useful to test the combat and spot some bugs. But then, people will probably need to wait 6 months before the game is finished :o
I mean I'll keep working on it, I have a lot of side quests and camp talk to code. But I still need the main parts of the story from the writer, and without those the game story can't go on :mrgreen:
Why does he look so innocent while she looks so bloodthirsty? I really want to romance that cute naga and was it decided if they are siblings or just friends?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Writer didn't tell me, however I'm thinking they're friends only, considering their backstory.
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

Backstory?

I don't think we've heard it yet, Jack. Could ya tell us? :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Nothing big, but it's clear from it that they're not siblings.
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

jack1974 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:15 pm
Pace675 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:40 pm Such. A. Tease! :evil:
No in this case no teasing. Initially I just wanted to code the battle, like the QoT "battle demo" I did one year before its release. But then, a bit for the heat and other various issues, all the other games in the works didn't make much progress. So instead of staying idle, obviously I kept working on this game, and now I'm at a point where what I've done so far it's almost of "final quality" but I can't go past a certain point because the main plot (castle infiltration missions) is still not written :mrgreen:
So once again depends mainly on how fast the writer finishes the missing parts.
Still a tease :p
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Writer was at PAX, I was a bit worried because didn't get a reply in last 10 days and he usually was reliable before :)
He sent the fixed texts (the scenes I wrote myself) and said should start with the main plot mission when he gets back. Next week I'll focus on Love Bites though, since I have whole Viktor path to playtest!

Lol I love this extra bit he added to Sylrissa. They start talking about the swamps smell:
player "The odor here is quite...strong."
sylrissa "I know! Isn't it delightful?"
player "I was thinking the opposite. It smells like rotting meat mixed with the vomit of buzzards that tried eating that meat."
sylrissa "I know! It's so nice!"
player "...perhaps we should lay this topic to rest. I'm beginning to see why you and I have differing opinions about the swamp."
:lol: :lol:
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

jack1974 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:37 am Lol I love this extra bit he added to Sylrissa. They start talking about the swamps smell:
player "The odor here is quite...strong."
sylrissa "I know! Isn't it delightful?"
player "I was thinking the opposite. It smells like rotting meat mixed with the vomit of buzzards that tried eating that meat."
sylrissa "I know! It's so nice!"
player "...perhaps we should lay this topic to rest. I'm beginning to see why you and I have differing opinions about the swamp."
:lol: :lol:
Haha, seeing that I gotta ask: Is Sylrissa always so...unusual? :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes she is! It's unlikely you'll find a similar character in whole Aravorn (even compared to her own Naga friend Enok, she's very different).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'm coding Dasyra's sidequest now. Even if you won't be able to rescue "the other" team member for the first infiltration mission (otherwise the choice would be meaningless - you need to do that mission with the people you decided to rescue!) I thought that you could at least start the various sidequests, since all of them takes several in-game days.
In my testing I was able to do all the recruiting and stuff with more than 12-13 days left, so was a bit weird to let people just click to advance days until the first big story mission :)

I am also not going with "realism" too much: for example in this scene, Dasyra stays in Hammerhands for several days to do some tests on her brooch. Initially I thought to make her unavailable during fights for the duration (would be 3-4 days) but on the other hand wouldn't be good for gameplay reasons. So she'll still be available in arena fights and during shopping.

It's NOT realistic - however when you do games with multiple quests open, it's normal. I remember in Dragon Age or other games stuff like "you must hurry there's this super-critical mission!". And I did 25 other side-missions before it taking it easy instead :lol:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Finished coding Dasyra's sidequest: in practice all the sidequests will let you recruit the "other" character of same race, in this case Galan. But beside that, there are some variants, in some cases you also get an item / skill reward. Like in this case the most powerful item that Dasyra can use in her accessory inventory slot 8)
I believe it will take me about a month just to code all those sidequests, not all of them involve combat, some require decisions but still need to script and test everything.