development thread

Classic VN/RPG, all romance combos, social talent system https://www.winterwolves.com/cursedlands.htm
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: development thread

Post by Troyen »

I guess they're talking about Fate Stay Night which allegedly had ~800k words (about the length of two and a half Robert Jordan novels), though FSN had three routes so you had a little break after each third. Most of the VNs seem to come in significantly less. It's hard to find reliable stats, but I'm seeing numbers of around 250k-500k for your average Japanese VN.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

On the other hand japanese VN have usually x10 times the budget of the average indie western author :lol:
Anyway I might move this discussion in another forum if you want to continue it, since it's a bit OT vs the game thread :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

By the way I just added Sylrissa edited texts in the game and... total wordcount is now 275k :lol:
OK at this point I don't think anymore the 300k barrier is too high, since there are still a few main plot scenes and all the endings/epilogues left to write!
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Troyen wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:51 am I guess they're talking about Fate Stay Night which allegedly had ~800k words (about the length of two and a half Robert Jordan novels), though FSN had three routes so you had a little break after each third. Most of the VNs seem to come in significantly less. It's hard to find reliable stats, but I'm seeing numbers of around 250k-500k for your average Japanese VN.
The word count in F/SN is definitely insane (I've heard >1M, but I'm not going to count), but there is soo much repetition and endless internal monologue, it nearly breaks the game. For every great idea, there's a character repeating a phrase 50 times in slow motion on a dark background, to show mental deterioration or something.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

Franka wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:01 pm
Troyen wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:51 am I guess they're talking about Fate Stay Night which allegedly had ~800k words (about the length of two and a half Robert Jordan novels), though FSN had three routes so you had a little break after each third. Most of the VNs seem to come in significantly less. It's hard to find reliable stats, but I'm seeing numbers of around 250k-500k for your average Japanese VN.
The word count in F/SN is definitely insane (I've heard >1M, but I'm not going to count), but there is soo much repetition and endless internal monologue, it nearly breaks the game. For every great idea, there's a character repeating a phrase 50 times in slow motion on a dark background, to show mental deterioration or something.
Well if you think about it there are western books series that are also about that long they just tend to separate them in several books. Lord of the rings trilogy has 733,023 words, it still is a one story and it's not stretched out.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

started coding the Sylrissa's path since editor finished it :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OK the ONLY thing left for act2 are the new vampire lieutenant bossfight texts. For that I was waiting the game writer but I just emailed him to see if we could do it differently and speed up things.
The good thing is that I have already coded a lot of things for act3, and also written all the epilogues. I need only to write the final boss battles. I'm rather happy how the endings turned out since it answers some questions people had in Loren, like why Karen was kidnapped by lizardmen, etc.
Harbinger1975
Young scout

Post by Harbinger1975 »

jack1974 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:52 am Image
started coding the Sylrissa's path since editor finished it :)
I love how vulnerable Sylrissa looks in the image. :air_kiss_2:
"Direct intervention is necessary. Assuming direct control."
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Cool, there are more scenes in which she is like that :)
(also many others where she just run around cutting enemies in half of course :lol:)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

the text above is seen only if you play as Bard profession. This game is so big also because there's a lot of branching depending on race/profession. Hopefully people will take time to play it more than once picking different options to enjoy it :)