Powergaymer review

A fantasy yaoi dating sim set in the world of Aravorn https://www.winterwolves.com/heirsandgraces.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Powergaymer review

Post by jack1974 »

http://www.powergaymers.com/heirs-graces-review/
haha the reviewer didn't like the character art of this game either! Though personally I thought was well done. But of course that's just the first person that said didn't like it, so very different from PSCD where I got a LOT of complaints about the art instead.
Anyway, I don't think it's my best game to date (overall), but glad to see that the writing was praised since I think has a very good story/characters.

Also glad that this writer is going to work for me on a RPG in future... oops, this is a secret, ignore it...
Harbinger1975
Young scout

Re: Powergaymer review

Post by Harbinger1975 »

Reviewers are picky and review games that aren't in their "genre pool". Honestly, Jack, I would ignore reviewers. The only 'reviews' that matter are the ones from your loyal customers.
"Direct intervention is necessary. Assuming direct control."
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No, no I know, I wasn't being polemic! I was just surprised since while I have to say that now I can see the "uncanney valley" effect of PSCD, for this game the sprites I thought they were well done. Maybe most people are used to cell-shading and cute manga stuff, since for example everyone loved C14 Dating art (obviously, Deji is also very good!).
But I wasn't angry or anything, just curious :) Well at least the next game (Queen Of Thieves) has in my opinion a very cute art. And also hot :mrgreen:
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Everyone has certain expectations when it comes to video games. Reviews are a reflection of an individual's preferences. Personally, I think too many people either take too much stock in reviews or use them to affirm their own biases. Nevertheless, since we can't change their behavior, you can only make the best game you can and hope the publicity and sales will work in your favor.

On a related note your game is featured on Siliconera as well.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/06/08/ya ... ords-city/

There are few negative comments about the art as well. Honestly, I do think the characters look a little stiff. On a positive note, the art quality of your more recent titles is at a higher standard than what it used to be.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ugh, I hope the artist doesn't read that, since I think could be bad to read such comments about your work. Personally, I've been insulted in every possible way, but I have my Zen way of dealing with it, also known as "I don't give a f..." :lol:
Joking, as you know I appreciate constructive critics and even insults if AT LEAST they point out something wrong in the game! Saying "art is ugly" is an opinion and very subjective IMHO, since I know a lot of people follow that artist on tumblr.
But anyway, in the end what matters it's how the game does. The game is doing well, so they can say what they want about the art, writing, gameplay, whatever! :)
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

Well I too think that art is beneath your other games witch use similar art style (Loren, SOTW, QOT) when it comes to characters and it's true that C14 art is on completely different level but that is because art in C14 is a top class on par with high budget Japanese VNs. That said I think those people are being too harsh, then again rude people exaggerating things on internet is noting new and I don't think you will have big problem because of art as long as you don't try something like in PSCD (Real life people art style) and even then it is not definite that you will fail but it is far harder to succeed that way then to stick to what people who are into genres of your games already love (Manga/Anime and game art styles).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yup there are some people that definitely don't like "realistic art" or painted stuff. Probably it's harder to draw, so the mistakes are more apparent or something (not sure, I'm not an artist!).
But anyway now I know what to do at least. Indeed nobody is complaining about my more manga looking games (QoT, Amber, etc).
And as you said people exaggerating is nothing new on internet: one of the comments says my games are too short! Yes, sure :lol:
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

I think the art is great, and was really impressed with how different the two scullery maids looked when they didn't have to be. The main character's arm on hip is a bit at an awkward angle and the butler and Doctor were not as fully visually distinctive from each other as I would like, but Kamal looks phenomenal, able to make him look clever and tough, not too easy. I think she's a wonderful artist.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Perhaps it is because the contrast with background is more noticeable?
Usually in games the character art is done with cell-shading, so that might be the issue some people see. I'm sure if I showed them the SOTW CGs (this artist did also the ending CG+DLC CGs), or even this game CGs, nobody could argue about the quality :)
mastro
Young scout

Post by mastro »

Or maybe are just people being ass**les :wink:
I've seen a lot of angst against developers lately, in particular indies. Totally gratuitous offenses, I don't get it. Don't let this get at you (or your collaborators).
The writer Umberto Eco a while ago said about internet, that it gave any random idiot on internet the possibility to talk, even if was drunk (something like that if I remember correctly). He was right!