PSCD art restyle might be done

A VN/CCG hybrid game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/pscd.htm
Katicflis
Young scout

Re: PSCD art restyle might be done

Post by Katicflis »

For me, at the end of the day, it's more important for the game to sell than how it looks. As far as 'which of your games is the most fun to play' ... this was literally the one I sunk hours into enjoying the gameplay. It came out feeling pretty damn balanced and fun as hell to play. I want this to sell so you're willing to make more card games in the future. :?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well, as balanced as a card game can be :mrgreen:
Jokes apart basically everyone who played it said the gameplay and story were great. Problem is that not many people played it because of the art. That's why the art reboot, though of course there are no guarantee that it will work. At least I've learned the lesson on what kind of art to never use again in one of my games (at least when romance is involved).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

ImageImage
starting to update the steam banners (of course they won't go live until I have published the update).
When I look at it, I wonder HOW I thought that kind of art was OK. Maybe I was possessed by some demon? :mrgreen: Well at least I managed to stop in time for Roger Steel :lol:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

So, today I checked the texts changes to make to match the new hotter CGs, and surprisingly they were really few!
The only two were Alex/Mira and Alex/Samuel. In particular this last one since they're fighting in front of a crowd, they can't get suddenly naked!! :lol:

But all the others could work. I mean, it's normal that in the romance CG texts the writer describes the "whole process" from dressed to naked and kissing, and in many other games I had either only the couple in underwear, or both naked (depending on the game). So they work fine.

I am going to upload a test build with the new art, before putting this on Steam. The musician also made a cool remix of the theme song, more slow, I think sounds nice :) Of course remember that the manga version CG are MUCH HOTTER (full nudity) so if you don't want to see that, remember to turn the suggestive content option off when you play the game. And obviously when I update the mobile versions, the suggestive content option won't be available there because of the appstore policies.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

It's still too early to say if was really a good move or not (but I have no regrets) though at least during the Steam Summer sale, PSCD was NOT the worst seller like in the past (and in "the top10" even). Might be the "new art" effect, we'll see in 3-6 months. But I'm optimistic that it was a good idea. And I'm 100% sure I'll never do "realistic/painted" art styles EVER AGAIN! :lol: :lol:
The most popular titles are as always the RPGs. Good thing I'm making another right now... :mrgreen:
pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus »

Mark me as super disappointed by this. Personally the new art is so much worse than the original. I am sad that there aren't others that like that style, at least enough to make it viable for you.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

When they say that as indie you have freedom, is a big lie. It's enough to make stuff slightly different from what people want, and you might throw months of hard work (and money) in the toilet... :roll:
Callista
Young scout

Post by Callista »

From what I understand, the old art style will still be available, right? The manga one is to give players a second option. I'm thinking it's kind of like how Hanako had two different art styles for Black Closet and you could choose which one to use. I think it's fine to have the new art style as long as the old one is kept, too, for those who like that one better.
Looking for a high quality editor? Then check out my page here: https://callista.itch.io/
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes of course the old one is still available :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

All realistic art romance CGs seem to crash the game in the Steam beta (if it's still in beta). Manga works fine though.

Only got a text output file from one of the crashes, this is the short version:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 256, in script
python:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 260, in <module>
renpy.call_in_new_context("_main_menu")
File "renpy/common/00action_other.rpy", line 375, in __call__
renpy.call_replay(self.label, self.scope)
File "game/plot/romance.rpy", line 4298, in script
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object