PSCD art restyle might be done

A VN/CCG hybrid game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/pscd.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

PSCD art restyle might be done

Post by jack1974 »

I've mentioned this in the past, but now I'm seriously thinking to go ahead. An art restyle for PSCD (CGs excluded since I think those are OK).

I KNOW that simply an art change can't do miracles. However, just observing Steam stats (I suppose something similar happens on my site but I don't have such advanced tools) makes it quite clear that the first impact of people with art causes less people to just click/visit the game page.

This doesn't mean that more people visiting will translate to more sales :) I know it well. But for sure wouldn't hurt. It's also something I'm thinking to do for my own ego haha. I hate to have a game that whenever is mentioned, they say "good gameplay/writing/music but the art... UGH, CREEEPY!" :lol: :lol:

Anyway, about the stats, I compared PSCD with Roommates (a good title) and Spirited Heart (a very old game!). One year stats. Here are the results:
Roommates = 3,74%
Spirited Heart (6 years old game) = 1,87% clickthrough
PSCD = 0,58% clickthrough!!!

Tag page:
Roommates = 4,24%
Spirited Heart = 2,84%
PSCD = 1,99%

Recommendations Main (more like this, etc):
Roommates = 6,34%
Spirited Heart = 7,51%
PSCD = 2,4%

Note this is just clickthrough, which means: players see the game banner, and with the new Steam system also the game screenshots. Then they click based on what they see. They clearly don't like what they see :mrgreen:
When a SIX YEARS OLD game like Spirited Heart gets higher clickthrough... and I just compared those 3. I just quickly looked at Heileen (another game not exactly new): 2,84%. Even Bionic Heart 2 which probably has the less well done art is at 2,13% !!
Heirs & Graces, my other "painted style" game: 3,1%!!

I could go on, but you get it :lol:

Of course this is just the long tail and I don't expect miracles, but my idea is that if the game stays the same, if I can get 2-3% more click to the game page (so more potential buyers) over the course of the next 2-3 years... might be worth it.

I haven't made my mind yet, but now that I have 1 year of data, I think it's not a crazy idea as I initially thought! :twisted:
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: PSCD art restyle might be done

Post by Franka »

Well, just don't expect people to go back and change their reviews, that ship has already sailed.

But I'd love to see more love given to PSCD of course!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No of course (besides, the reviews were just 5! :lol:).
The bigger issue is all the CGs...I said I wouldn't redo them, but I am not sure if having manga characters and then the realistic style on the CG is a good idea. Damn I forgot how insanely big that game was :mrgreen:
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

I think if you do this it would be better to make it a new release instead of replacing an old one, call it PSCD Remaster or something, this way you can in a way reset peoples opinions. I would also recommend if you are doing this to give people exactly what they want, like Deji style, since it takes more for people to change a negative opinion to positive then to get positive from a start.

True it would be nice of you if you ware to give a nice discount to people that both the original :mrgreen: .
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

If I do it will change the name, and people who already bought it will get it for free of course :)
As for artist, I think something on level of Queen Of Thieves art or a new artist I'm working with (you can see some images of her here:viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3946 first image) would be enough (Deji is busy for the next 2-3 years!).

The other popular sci-fi VN games on Steam like Sunrider have an even more stylized manga art, so something like the two examples above should be already quite good I think :)
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote: and people who already bought it will get it for free of course :)
Wow :) , I didn't expect that since you said after PSCD DLC that you won't be giving free stuff any more.
jack1974 wrote:As for artist, I think something on level of Queen Of Thieves art or a new artist I'm working with (you can see some images of her here:viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3946 first image) would be enough (Deji is busy for the next 2-3 years!).

The other popular sci-fi VN games on Steam like Sunrider have an even more stylized manga art, so something like the two examples above should be already quite good I think :)
Yes, that is a very good art.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well wouldn't be fair if people bought the old version, to charge them only because I changed art (even if it's going to be quite expensive). I know some people here that bought it "despite the art" just to support me, so... :)
Anyways, of course finishing Amber and the other games will have the priority.
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

jack1974 wrote:
I haven't made my mind yet, but now that I have 1 year of data, I think it's not a crazy idea as I initially thought! :twisted:
You would have a day one sale with me! XD
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks, I suspect also a few more other people just in this forums :)
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

Me as well, you know you've got my support!. i still find time to read up on thing here, even if I'm often too busy to post much anymore. ♥