About the DLC

A VN/CCG hybrid game currently in development
Post Reply
User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 13629
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: About the DLC

Post by jack1974 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:48 am

Yes of course but that works with all the games :) I have drawn my conclusions comparing ALL my other previous releases with this one. For comparison, SOTW in the first 24h did better than PSCD so far in almost a week. So the gap is quite big :wink:

Dankovsky
Young scout
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:53 am

Re: About the DLC

Post by Dankovsky » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:51 am

Jack, I think you really need some steam reviews. As a core steam user I would never buy a game if it has only 1 review - it basically means nobody plays it, and it's a red flag. But if it has at least 10-20 reviews - it's a totally different story. Maybe you should personally ask some people that bought the game to review it or, I dunno, at least host a thread asking for steam reviews.
The game really needs some visibility too, since all the potential playes simply don't know about it. Probably too late to run some marketing campaigns now, but you can put some updates and run a steam sale. I also heard the steam dev page has a button that can put your game on the front page for a little while, although it might be more complicated than that.
By the way, was meaning to ask you - how do you market your games? Do you send press releases, post on outside forums or something? Or did you stop bothering at some point and decided to just stick to your fan audience on blog/forum? What do you think about indie marketing in general?

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 13629
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: About the DLC

Post by jack1974 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:16 am

It's a long story, in summary I stopped bothering since the press has been ignoring me and my games for years (not ALL, but the most important / most sites). And I tried a lot. I was getting replies. People saying "ah interesting game, will try it". Or even "will do a review". Then inevitably nothing happened. After a while I gave up since I was wasting too much time for NOTHING :)
It's too early to do a Steam sale, I will do one at some point.

Haha sorry I need to calm myself and stop whining since you think this was a failure but it really wasn't - just expected more. But it's doing fine.
It's not like "boo hoo I'm bankrupt I'm not going to do DLC and any more card games ever!" :lol:
It's more like: all things considered I prefer to spend energy to finish all the current games in progress to clear "the queue" a bit, and maybe do a "proper" card game later without mixing it with unsuitable genres like VN/Dating sims. That's it.

Not like I don't appreciate your help/suggestions of course, thanks! But I probably gave the impression that this was a much bigger problem than really is :)

Dankovsky
Young scout
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:53 am

Re: About the DLC

Post by Dankovsky » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:33 am

Haha, sorry, Jack, I probably also sounded more concerned than I was. As a beginning VN dev myself, I admit I'm afraid of losing good developers to "indieapocalypse despair", so seeing one being sad about the recent release does break my heart a little bit every time. I guess I'll try not too overreact anymore!
I actually have full confidence in your abilities and success - you're the longest player in this game, after all, somewhat a titan of endurance. So have a great time, and meanwhile I'll be sure to grab some of your games on the next steam sale ;) I'll probably also pop up from time to time to criticize everything horribly and give very srs business advice, or maybe even ask for some myself.
Be seeing you!

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 13629
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: About the DLC

Post by jack1974 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:12 am

Dankovsky wrote:Haha, sorry, Jack, I probably also sounded more concerned than I was. As a beginning VN dev myself, I admit I'm afraid of losing good developers to "indieapocalypse despair", so seeing one being sad about the recent release does break my heart a little bit every time. I guess I'll try not too overreact anymore!
Haha no no, it was surely my fault. Many fans and friends were worried. I blame the language barrier and my current situation (I'm going nuts managing all the games). But for sure it's much tougher now than ever :)
Dankovsky wrote: I actually have full confidence in your abilities and success - you're the longest player in this game, after all, somewhat a titan of endurance. So have a great time, and meanwhile I'll be sure to grab some of your games on the next steam sale ;) I'll probably also pop up from time to time to criticize everything horribly and give very srs business advice, or maybe even ask for some myself.
Be seeing you!
Thanks! Your critiques (and purchases :mrgreen:) are always welcome :P

Rebly82
Woods ranger
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: About the DLC

Post by Rebly82 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:23 pm

I just realized! You don't have trading cards yet up for PSCD, but you do have cards for all your other games. Perhaps that will help!

Metagenesis
Young scout
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:57 am

Re: About the DLC

Post by Metagenesis » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:25 pm

Most indie games on Steam come with a release sale, usually a pretty small discount (10-15%), but that green tag is an eye-catcher even if it's only a slight discount. I noticed PSCD didn't have one; maybe something to consider for the future?

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 13629
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: About the DLC

Post by jack1974 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:30 pm

Rebly82 wrote:I just realized! You don't have trading cards yet up for PSCD, but you do have cards for all your other games. Perhaps that will help!
Uh, no I have them! Weird if they don't show up, I need to ask Steam (I submitted them and published like before).
Metagenesis wrote:Most indie games on Steam come with a release sale, usually a pretty small discount (10-15%), but that green tag is an eye-catcher even if it's only a slight discount. I noticed PSCD didn't have one; maybe something to consider for the future?
I didn't want to put a launch discount for the people that bought direct, but maybe next time will do the same for direct buyers who preorder it :)

User avatar
Miakoda
Elder Druid
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:05 pm

Re: About the DLC

Post by Miakoda » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:00 pm

As far as the Steam Cards go, I did get 3 of them to drop for me.

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 13629
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: About the DLC

Post by jack1974 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:05 pm

I found out I forgot to set it active on the store page, even if in the game they should drop correctly already :)

Post Reply