general feedback thread

A VN/CCG hybrid game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/pscd.htm
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: general feedback thread

Post by Franka »

IotaOne wrote:I really like the game, only the gameplay part needs a little finetuning.
Some plot missions can be more difficult than the final battle. Mission 5 and 17 (if i recall the numbers correctly), ca get really tough even on medium.
But in general i liked the plot mission beceause it gave incentive to use different decks rather than rioting everything away.
My main goal was to balance cards, even though I also tried to get missions balanced from time to time. That's a lot harder though, because one deck might make a mission simple, while another won't be good. Sometimes you simply need to go back and tailor your deck to the mission. Now, mission 5 was always a problem child because the four variants had very different cards in them, and there was no room to customize.

After mission 10, there was only one mission I deemed "too hard", and that was rebalanced (it was one of the last ones). In general, I thought they should be harder. :P

Riot is indeed the card to fall back on if a mission is too tough for you (and it should probably have been in the one per game slot), but it does fill a neglected role, along with Kamikaze.
IotaOne
Young scout

Post by IotaOne »

I think the balance is fine the way it currently is. Like in every TCG there are always cards which are just superior compared to other cards, which are still viable and useful in plot missions except for a few cards (like scout).
"Truth is like poetry. And most people f*cking hate poetry."
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote:I don't think is fair to compare the original PS since as you know (probably? is an old game) I wrote that all myself haha. So in about 10 months did writing, coding the system, design, etc all myself and ... that was the result :lol: But I agree, Miakoda did a great job, in my story Apex Rahn were just bloodthirsty warriors and stop, instead she created a whole new race with folklore, traditions, charismatic leaders, etc. Great job :)
PS was completely made just by you? :shock: I don't give much credit for a game being "old" since I played a lot of far older games and I think that indie games aren't so much affected by age as games made by big companies since most factors affected by age are factors that are not even present in indie games. That said the game being made only by a single person does make a difference, and in that case I must give original PS more credit as it is ceternly more then one would expect from a single person made game. Offcourse I did notice great improvements from your older games to newer ones but I thought that was due to experience.

I mast thank you for raising my hopes as I myself am planing to try doing something similar in a future, True in my case story is something I have most confidence in.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

It's not easy, requires a lot of time and dedication but can be done :)
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

Feedback-time! Based on playthroughs in VN, Normal and Hard-mode (so I can't comment on easy mode...not that it would even be neccessary :) )

Presentation
Graphics
I enjoyed the more realistic vibe of the characters a lot. I like being offered something else than "everything Loli". The changing expressions worked amazingly well for me (love Galina's and Diana's horrified/surprised looks), even if a couple of them were slightly on the odd side (examples: Diana laughing felt off, Charlotte smiling looks a bit vulpine, but that's not neccessarily bad). Most of the time the chars work well with the backgrounds and I had no problem with the achievement/scene graphics being in a slightly different style.

The following minutia are the common bane of visual novels, but I'll mention them anyway:
-A few instances where the outfits do not correspond well with the text. For example, depending on the team talk options you take before continuing with the story, you might get some of the chars appearing to the briefing room in party clothes. Or, depending on the order of team talk, you might get Mizuki digging dirt and complaining about her ruined fingernails while wearing her see-through blouse. And why is Xavier trying to box with Samuel in his jacket and woolen vest and does Samuel really want to break those sunglasses on his forehead? And the little tufts of hair/fur/antennas that rise from the heads of Nator and Vialle are cut off in mid-air.
-Left right issues, yea, the bane of flipping characters around in VNs. But maybe the romance CGIs could have been flipped around as well to have Diana's tattoo on her right upper arm, like it is during most of her story?

Soundtrack
I like it a lot, although I didn't go fan-crazy on it like I did with SOTW. :P I chose to pay that little extra for the bonus content because of the soundtrack, though! (That's my main deciding factor for reg/bonus purchases, by the way) :)

Gameplay
Card Fights
-Excellent balance on Normal-difficulty, imo. Kudos for that!
-On hard there are 2 fights that I'm not sure can be won after certain choices before the fight. I'm yet to beat the save-the-sibling-mission in a timed mode, whereas without the timelimit it was pretty straightforward. Also Graciela's NPC sidequest requires serious resuffling and good luck to not get overwhelmed. Towards the end the 4 alien fights + 1 final fight were on the other hand relatively stressfree...just throw Mario's deck in there with the demolition crew and you're golden. :P

Rant about the VN-mode
Coming from a SOTW grinder, take these comments with a salt grinder...
Storyline doesn't really branch that much, so I would have little reason to go through several replays of the whole game in the VN mode...i.e. too few things change. Also, I think the pacing and the immersion is kinda lost with the battles being just glossed over. I know why this option is there, and I gave it a try, but honestly I'd use it in a novel that fully branches after the first few chapters, not here. Also, being able to get achievements like protect colony and chase Shiler without fighting at all feels like a cheap trick. :evil:

Story
Aside the branching comment related to the VN/mode, I really really liked the story. :) :) I find the slice-o'-life and alien-war/intrigue interplay quite refreshing. I also adore the level of language/writing, which is colourful and enticing and doesn't fall flat anywhere (unless it's on purpose and the characters want to send somebody to the brig for the exceptionally ban pun. :P ) I also enjoyed the approx 38267653289 references to other works of popular culture and beyond. (I LOLed when one of the descorians spoke like a friggin' unsullied. :lol:

Characters were mostly well fleshed-out, especially the two POV characters and it was fun to play their respective NPC-sidequests after switching the POV. In addition to the siblings, here are favourite characters of mine in no particular order: Alpha S'lurix, Samuel, Graciela, Galina, Mario. I kinda found that pitiful Alpha Khan (hope I got the name right) of the Palidryans endearing, too. :P

I do think that the double-entendres were overdone in some points...not because there were so many of them, but because a) they were tossed around so often and b) because almost everybody uses them. Regarding a) I think that equal amount of them concentrated in fewer scenes might've worked better for me. B) however leads in my head into a danger of blending the characters together...yes, they still react and feel differently about the choices regarding alien life and death, but they all talk and joke around like a bunch of med school students in a Frothy Friday Faculty Fair..which doesn't make sense with all their diverse backgrounds.

All in all I like the game a lot and consider it well worth the (bonus content) price! :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks for the feedback. For soundtrack you refer to the theme song, or the whole soundtrack?
Personally I liked more SOTW one overall, but for the theme song I think PSCD is better (though I know is based on personal tastes, since it's same singer/composer!)
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

I'm referring to both, actually, although the most difference comes from 3 compositions in the overall SOTW soundtrack which I uploaded to my phone and listened nonstop to on most of my busrides in late 2014. :P
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

fabulaparva wrote:-On hard there are 2 fights that I'm not sure can be won after certain choices before the fight. I'm yet to beat the save-the-sibling-mission in a timed mode, whereas without the timelimit it was pretty straightforward. Also Graciela's NPC sidequest requires serious resuffling and good luck to not get overwhelmed. Towards the end the 4 alien fights + 1 final fight were on the other hand relatively stressfree...just throw Mario's deck in there with the demolition crew and you're golden. :P
From what I gather so far, different people find different fights hard, and it seems like you're using quite a different strategy for the end fights as well, so I'm pretty sure all is good.

Everything has been cleared on hard, unless things have changed considerably, but luck and proper upgrading may be a deciding factor sometimes.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes that's the only problem of card games balancing: different builds/sets/upgrades will yield different results. That's why on UL I'm not going to implement card upgrades, since while are cool I think they make balancing harder. (It will have some new features though).
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

How can I unlock the side missions? Everyone was unavaliable to me.