general feedback thread

A VN/CCG hybrid game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/pscd.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

general feedback thread

Post by jack1974 »

If you want to say anything about this game, good or ... good (:mrgreen:) feel free to post here, I'm always interested in feedback.
Perhaps stuff related to romance can be posted in the two specific Alex/Diana romance thread, while here can be more general consideration about the game.
kadakithis
Druid

Re: general feedback thread

Post by kadakithis »

I really loved the characters, their personalities and such as well as the humor. I love in your games when the other main player is still a character. Whether it is Diana/Alex or Anne/Max. Althea and Shea to a lesser extent since they were less defined. I hate to say anything at all negative because the art was lovely, the writing superb and the pace exciting, but the main plot was very meh compared to the characters and side plots. Until queen shiler and the ending fights, it felt like most of the enemies were there to just be there unless the base was specifically attacked.

I guess I mean I would have liked it if the Matrick King, Shiler, the Apex Rahn and the Dredans had the full thrust of the plots rather than the crystal people who died and seemed to take from the build up as the main opponents. And maybe just a bit less exposition. There was a lot of exposition.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The problems in the main plot are because we were forced to change the game type while writing the story... so it was a bit messy. In the beginning was like "write short sentences, will be mostly a game with gameplay AND a story" or even "we'll voice the whole story so keep it short" and so on.
Then after a few months when was obvious that doing a TD game was a crazy thing, we changed it completely.
Honestly the writing result is even more amazing considering the big change Miakoda was forced to do while still writing it.
When/if she'll do PS2 (she should but of course we're not talking about this year) we'll know from the start that is a RPG, so the main plot will be more interesting :)
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

Awesome, and that makes a lot of sense. I can't wait to see what she can do with a full main plot as well. Also I love the Apex Rahn, I really really hated betraying him in the manipulative playthrough. Like if I had to name a favorite character it may just be that Apex Rahn, and the ability to characterize him in such a short period of time was really impressive.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

kadakithis wrote:but the main plot was very meh compared to the characters and side plots. Until queen shiler and the ending fights, it felt like most of the enemies were there to just be there unless the base was specifically attacked.
I always saw characters interactions and talks about events as a main story rather then war itself. To put it this way I saw this game as a more of slice of life in a SCI-FI war setting then as a SCI-FI war action. If you think of it that way I think story was very nice (- problem witch I mentioned in official release thread, witch post should probably be moved in this thread). Also even when it comes to war events I thought they had more story and twists to it then original PS.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I don't think is fair to compare the original PS since as you know (probably? is an old game) I wrote that all myself haha. So in about 10 months did writing, coding the system, design, etc all myself and ... that was the result :lol: But I agree, Miakoda did a great job, in my story Apex Rahn were just bloodthirsty warriors and stop, instead she created a whole new race with folklore, traditions, charismatic leaders, etc. Great job :)
IotaOne
Young scout

Post by IotaOne »

I really like the game, only the gameplay part needs a little finetuning.
Some plot missions can be more difficult than the final battle. Mission 5 and 17 (if i recall the numbers correctly), ca get really tough even on medium.
But in general i liked the plot mission beceause it gave incentive to use different decks rather than rioting everything away.
"Truth is like poetry. And most people f*cking hate poetry."
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks, I spent a good amount of time designing/fine-tuning the cards. During beta the testing was basically done just by me and Franka... :lol: so it's possible that some missions weren't carefully tested.
For Undead Lily (my next card game, maybe at end of this year or next year) maybe there'll be more testers so I can balance it even better :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

DarkWolf wrote:I always saw characters interactions and talks about events as a main story rather then war itself. To put it this way I saw this game as a more of slice of life in a SCI-FI war setting then as a SCI-FI war action.
In my coming steam review, that is actually my one complaint - that the story is so much slice of life while we're fighting for the survival of our colony. But I also mention that for some people that can be a plus.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I think that done this way, even people who don't like sci-fi stories will enjoy the character interactions. There's still plenty of sci-fi stuff (holodiscs etc) but less focus on the war and so on, that's true.