Card Rewrites

A VN/CCG hybrid game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/pscd.htm
Franka
Elder Druid

Card Rewrites

Post by Franka »

Before I get started, there are some cards that do something slightly different than what's written on the card. Please let me know whether you intend to:

- Make the card do what it says.
- Make the card say what it actually does.

These are the cards I've found so far (more to come):

Alien Scavenger:
Says: +1 HP and +1 Resource at start of turn.
Does: +1 HP at end of turn, +1 Resource at start of turn.
I recommend you make the card do what it says, otherwise the game text becomes too long.

Apex-Rahn Slaver:
Says: 1 damage to random friendly unit for +2 Atk one turn.
Does: I'm not sure how this works. It doesn't use the ability on units with 1 HP. It doesn't use the ability on itself. So clearly it's written to actually do something specific. Also, like many other cards, the +2 Atk lasts until the start of this player's next turn (do "turns" actually mean "rounds", because that would make some sense).

Optimization:
Says: +3 Atk until end of turn.
Does: +3 Atk until start of your next turn.

Boragrub Swarm:
Says: Get a new one at the end of turn.
Does: The new ones don't put new ones into play.
You can either fix them or make the new ones different beasties with no ability.

Skella:
Says: Put 3 Horcoos Chargers into play.
Does: Put 3 Baby Chargers into play.
Baby/Horcoos Chargers have Charge, but it doesn't work.

Razorwings:
Says: 1 damage to 3 enemies.
Does: 1 damage 3 times, may hit the same enemy multiple times if there is less than 3 enemies in play.

Vause Psionicist:
Says: Stun target and hit enemies on the side.
This is probably bugged. There's something wrong with the targeting on the stun. It may hit my units when Vause attacks the player. Also, it doesn't seem to hit any units "on the side."

Baby Horcoos: Explain Untouchable trait, please.
Anima_
Druid

Re: Card Rewrites

Post by Anima_ »

Franka wrote: Apex-Rahn Slaver:
Says: 1 damage to random friendly unit for +2 Atk one turn.
Does: I'm not sure how this works. It doesn't use the ability on units with 1 HP. It doesn't use the ability on itself. So clearly it's written to actually do something specific. Also, like many other cards, the +2 Atk lasts until the start of this player's next turn (do "turns" actually mean "rounds", because that would make some sense).

Optimization:
Says: +3 Atk until end of turn.
Does: +3 Atk until start of your next turn.
All temporary boni last until the units next turn. Or to be more specific on the start of a players turn all temporary stat changes are reset.
Boragrub Swarm:
You can either fix them or make the new ones different beasties with no ability.
No unit summoned by an ability instead of from the hand can summon another unit.
Skella:
Baby/Horcoos Chargers have Charge, but it doesn't work.
That's a bug. Will fix it.
Razorwings:
Says: 1 damage to 3 enemies.
Does: 1 damage 3 times, may hit the same enemy multiple times if there is less than 3 enemies in play.
Also a bug, though a bit mysterious.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Anima_ wrote:
Boragrub Swarm:
No unit summoned by an ability instead of from the hand can summon another unit.
Then either call the new unit something else, or remove the game text from the new unit.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Franka wrote:I recommend you make the card do what it says, otherwise the game text becomes too long.
Yup will do.
Franka wrote:I'm not sure how this works. It doesn't use the ability on units with 1 HP. It doesn't use the ability on itself. So clearly it's written to actually do something specific. Also, like many other cards, the +2 Atk lasts until the start of this player's next turn (do "turns" actually mean "rounds", because that would make some sense).
Yes turn=round. I think I used turn everywhere in the cards, so probably I should change round in the combat screen. The ability does what it says but of course doesn't KILL its own allies if have only 1HP! :lol: So it could be changed into:
"deal 1 damage to random friendly unit with more than 1 hp for +2 Atk one turn." ?
In any case I thought was obvious that it wouldn't kill its own cards! :mrgreen:
Franka wrote:This is probably bugged. There's something wrong with the targeting on the stun. It may hit my units when Vause attacks the player. Also, it doesn't seem to hit any units "on the side."
Uhm but the Vause shouldn't even appear in the base game :shock: it does show up in a mission? sorry but with so many I forgot (probably is a NPC sidemission).
Franka wrote: Then either call the new unit something else, or remove the game text from the new unit.
I'll do like I did the volunteers, so in practice the new card is a copy of the first one but for the game mechanics it's actually a different card (so can have a different description).
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

jack1974 wrote: Yes turn=round. I think I used turn everywhere in the cards, so probably I should change round in the combat screen. The ability does what it says but of course doesn't KILL its own allies if have only 1HP! :lol: So it could be changed into:
"deal 1 damage to random friendly unit with more than 1 hp for +2 Atk one turn." ?
In any case I thought was obvious that it wouldn't kill its own cards! :mrgreen:
Ok, that's fine. You don't have to change any text yet, I just needed to know exactly how it worked, I'll make the text make sense.

The problem with rounds and turns is probably that I've done something very specific in the rule book. So far what I'm doing is writing:
"Gains yada yada until the start of owner's next turn."
Uhm but the Vause shouldn't even appear in the base game :shock: it does show up in a mission? sorry but with so many I forgot (probably is a NPC sidemission).
There are Vause in the Mira side mission.
I'll do like I did the volunteers, so in practice the new card is a copy of the first one but for the game mechanics it's actually a different card (so can have a different description).
How about we make the "token" units a new card simply called "Boragrub" that doesn't have any card text?

Boragrub Swarm (1/1, Organic): Put a "Boragrub" unit into play at the end of owner’s turn.

Boragrub (1/1, Organic): "We are nasty because there are so many of us! Also, we're really small!" (j/k game text)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Franka wrote: The problem with rounds and turns is probably that I've done something very specific in the rule book. So far what I'm doing is writing:
"Gains yada yada until the start of owner's next turn."
No you're right, I made the confusion in the first place. I'll change everything to turns! I think I mentioned something about rounds too elsewhere in the game code but will make sure to always use turn now :)
Franka wrote: There are Vause in the Mira side mission.
Ah OK. Will check that. Vause originally were reserved for the DLC (like Arnox) so I didn't test those cards well yet :)
Franka wrote: How about we make the "token" units a new card simply called "Boragrub" that doesn't have any card text?
You've read my mind, it's actually what I just did :) I made a new card, with different art, that way is clearly that's just a summoned boragrub and nothing else :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Franka wrote: Baby Horcoos: Explain Untouchable trait, please.
I missed this one. In practice it's only for the computer AI, so the enemy units won't try to kill his own cards when there's the Horcoos infiltration. But it shouldn't show up, I'm going to hide it on next update (is an internal thing only, players don't need to know it).
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

jack1974 wrote:
Franka wrote: Baby Horcoos: Explain Untouchable trait, please.
I missed this one. In practice it's only for the computer AI, so the enemy units won't try to kill his own cards when there's the Horcoos infiltration. But it shouldn't show up, I'm going to hide it on next update (is an internal thing only, players don't need to know it).
Ok, good, then I won't need it for the rule book. :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Franka wrote: Skella:
Will you call these Horcoos Chargers or Baby Chargers? I suggest Horcoos Chargers. Baby Chargers sounds somehow... offensive. "Charge those babies, soldiers!" :lol:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No are chargers (Horcoos Chargers). When I made it I copied the Baby Horcoos card, so I've messed up the names :mrgreen: