Road to demo release

A VN/CCG hybrid game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/pscd.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Road to demo release

Post by jack1974 »

True, probably I should do it only in the first hand, like Hearthstone you could choose which cards to keep and which ones to discard and draw again. Right now Anima and I are trying to solve a strange bug happening on the very first mission, but will ask him if he can add that :)
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

jack1974 wrote:OK I'm almost there. I rebalanced the cards a bit. I also thought to add a "Shuffle" option, which let's you put back one card from hand into the deck: this because you can have max 6 cards in hand, so by very bad luck (also depends how you built your deck) you could end with 6 cards requiring a credit. But you get them only killing enemies, so you could get stuck.
With this shuffle you can get another random card, and unless you built your deck with ONLY cards requiring credits (which would be a bit crazy) you won't get stuck.
How big are your decks?

Hearthstone is 30 and I've had decks that have 15 cards that cost 2 mana or less and still not been able to play until turn 3 (even with the mulligan). Sometimes you just get bad luck.

I kinda prefer starting with two credits for a resource you only gain by killing creatures. Just because you play a card doesn't mean the opponent can't take it out and then you're still stuck with no credits on your initial hand. (If people really insist on not having credits, maybe make this a difficulty-dependent value? 2 for normal, 1 for hard, 0 nightmare)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

It might be too soon to pass judgment on that. I think we need to see the game and the cards in action first.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Decks can be 30 too, but the problem is that the hand is 6. I limited it to not clutter the layout, but there's no fixed limit in the framework. But I think will keep at that value.
So the only problem was that case in which somehow people picked all cards requiring at least 1 credit, and couldn't play anything. It would be a mistake probably since means people didn't pick any of the common cards, and doesn't make much sense, but I must prevent casual players from getting stuck :)

In any case, giving just 1-2 starting ones should be enough, since cards can require max 2 credits (the rarest card have other high requirement for the more common resources). And after you summon one, you should be able to kill enemies and get more. So far in all the tests I made, I was never stuck, also because enemies in general don't have high HP, so most of them can be killed rather quickly.
I still think will ask Anima to add the possibility to discard any cards from the first draw.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Most games force you to discard a card if you go over the limit. You could force people to discard if they're about to draw card #7.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No I prefer to just not have player draw any card when reached the limit. But I'll do the "keep or replace" for the first hand you've drawn :)
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

We ended up with a slightly different approach. (Since I was too lazy for this one.)
You can redraw your hand cards at any time, but you will draw one card less than you had beforehand each time.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

In any case since I plan to always give some starting credits, I don't think will be very used. But it's good to have the option available :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

hopefully it's clear enough. I was a bit skeptical at first, but then I tried it in a random battle and works quite well. The 1 less card penalty is enough to make people think twice before abusing it, but in desperate situations is fun to "try the luck" :)
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

Laziness is one of the strongest drives towards innovation. :wink:

In the last week alone I got almost a hundred mails from Jack. And we aren't even in the Beta yet. That's crazy. Hopefully sleepykitten and Deji can distract him with C14 soon, I could use the break. :|
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI