Alpha video preview

A VN/CCG hybrid game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/pscd.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Alpha video preview

Post by jack1974 »

Made a short video showing a bit of the gameplay. Clearly the battle screen GUI is unfinished :mrgreen:
Those familiar with Hearthstone will understand it very easily. There are units with charge, and instead of taunt there are "Walls", which includes turrets. Differently from Hearthstone though they cannot attack. They retaliate if attacked, but cannot directly attack enemies.
I tried to put some text in the video to explain what's going on, but there are so many mechanics that I only managed to explain some.
I am unsure if to use the "flash" on the card to show it can move, or something else. Right now I use a pulsating green outline when is selected (you don't use drag&drop in this game). Maybe I should swap the two effects, green outline = can move, white flash = currently selected unit. I'm not sure though...
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: Alpha video preview

Post by Franka »

Looking forward to it. I know it's unfinished, but just wanted to say I hope there'll be a death animation, like an explosion or something.

I'm fine with the effects you're using right now.
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

The graphical effects are the last item on the todo list. Actually pretty much the last item, aside from a bit of AI work. Of course that's my todo list, not Jacks...
At the moment only text is used to communicate events.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes the FX will be added as very last thing, after everything works, and I want to include some attack/death/etc animations !
And I just spent the afternoon rebalancing all 120 cards...posted a screenshot on twitter of the crazy spreadsheet thing I'm using but I won't clutter the forums with it :mgreen:
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

I didnt understand what the turrets can do, they cant attack the enemies directly, so how they attack?
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

They don't. But they will shoot back if you're audacious enough to attack them.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes they can only retaliate. But are Wall units, so unless you attack with a flying unit or unit with breach, you MUST attack them before the other units (or the player/colony if present).
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

Ok, now I understand, thanks.

And how did the enemies get more attack?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

In this case was a spell cast by "Vanguard Nator", one of the various enemy NPC. It's not displayed yet, but will show up as portrait on top of the screen in the final GUI. Not all battles have an enemy boss/hero behind though, some are just "survive enemy waves" and other "reach 10 energy" or "survive 10 turns" and so on. There's a good variety of winning/losing conditions available :)
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

Variable win conditions is always a great thing in games like these.