Weird Shadows

A VN/CCG hybrid game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/pscd.htm
Ultralord45
Young scout

Weird Shadows

Post by Ultralord45 »

Why do all the characters faces have these weird shadows on them? Their cheekbones seem over-pronounced to the point that the mere act of smiling can cause their face to wrinkle and make them seem much older than they actually are. Why am I the only one talking about this?

...sorry :( :oops:
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Weird Shadows

Post by jack1974 »

I don't think they're so terrible as you say honestly! :lol: making the "wrinkles" softer shouldn't be a problem though.
OhHaiMe
Young scout

Post by OhHaiMe »

I have to admit I found the exaggerated shadows and highlights a bit off putting at first,mostly because it makes the faces look a bit flat. But I've really grown accustomed to the artist style and appreciate it for it's unique look now.

But this has reminded me of something I did think was really bad with the art and I don't think I mentioned it at the time, the Marada faces. Have they changed any since they were first shown? Because they are WAY too human like, in a disturbing uncanny valley kind of way. And it's doubly odd because in the first game they had a very feline like appearance.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well first of all: it's hard to compare a manga style with a painted/realistic one. It's almost impossible to make one looks similar to the other. However, if you look at this comparison pic:
they seem VERY similar. I think the artist did a great job here! The faces are very similar. The only noticeable difference is the eyes, but I could always ask artist to try making them like the original manga image.
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

Overall I prefer the newer version of the Marada, it's less cartoon-like and a better 3d rendering, making for a more realistic appearing image. OTOH, facially speaking, the old eyes were more alien-looking, but the old lips had a more human light pinkish cast. I'll admit that I preferred the older eye/smile combination over the newer one. Somehow it seemed both more alien and more striking at the same time. Aside from the ferengi ears which are present on both, the new face seems more ordinary.
OhHaiMe
Young scout

Post by OhHaiMe »

jack1974 wrote:Well first of all: it's hard to compare a manga style with a painted/realistic one. It's almost impossible to make one looks similar to the other.they seem VERY similar. I think the artist did a great job here! The faces are very similar. The only noticeable difference is the eyes, but I could always ask artist to try making them like the original manga image.
I realize the different style means it's going to look different,and I think this is why I never said anything before.

It is specifically the eyes that look too human new version,Like it's just a human wearing Special effects makeup.
But another major point of difference is the short flat nose of the original,much like the square snout of a cat.
A minor point is the hint of fangs in the teeth of the original.

Without these it definitely falls into the uncanny valley for me.
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

i actually really like the new art, especially the shadowing on the body as it seems to have fuller detail and dimension. As far as the Marada, kinda glad she doesn't look speared through by her own gun. I know it was off to the side, bt every time I fought them I always had to double take. lol