update on gameplay

A VN/CCG hybrid game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/pscd.htm
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Re: update on gameplay

Post by iWeasle »

I have some friends who have logged like 100 hours in Hearthstone :P .
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

made this test for fun. 50 animated sprites on screen, the game runs considerably fine, 50-55 FPS on my desktop PC, and it's even in debug mode (so slower than normal). On Android I have no clue how to calculate FPS but was playable enough. Of course right now there were only the enemies walking towards the left of the screen with a population counter decreasing every time one reached the border :mrgreen:
Anyway, big speed improvements have been made recently in Ren'Py. Will need to make more experiments :twisted:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OK the experiments with real-time stuff failed :lol:
Besides, since even Undead Lily has turn based card gameplay I thought to kill two birds with one stone and do this game with this gameplay system as well (though technically won't be a CCG since in my current idea you don't get random cards).
This is a very ugly/rough attempt at the battle screen:
in summary gameplay should be similar to Hearthstone (you have to copy from the best :wink:) but you'll have two heroes, several special actions, etc. So of course, not identical but with several different variations. Because of this change I need to code everything from scratch (can't reuse Loren/SOTW framework because would be overkill) but I've asked Anima to help :)
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

I think it's a beautiful GUI, that should definitely be the final product :lol: .
Hearthstone style gameplay could be really cool, I know some people who might buy the game just for that... Muhuhahaha, been trying to get them to try a WW game for years... :) .
Matenshi
Young scout

Post by Matenshi »

Hey Jack, have you ever played some of the Dragon Ball RPGs on NES/SNES? They were traditional turn-based RPGs that used cards for the battle system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rVT-V7h7y4#t=8m35s

From what you've said, it sounds like you could combine this gameplay with the tactical map movement of an SRPG like Fire Emblem. :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah thanks for the video was interesting :)
I'm still in the experimentation stage - for example I don't want "random cards", though I think might change this as I test the system, because random would probably add more fun to the battles. I also have several resources (credits, energy, population, materials) and each unit costs some resources, etc. I want to make it a bit more complex than Hearthstone but not too much. The heroes wouldn't fight in the map, but could use special attacks. But in practice (of course, this is the current idea that could change) they can never "die" in a battle. The battle is lost based on some mission specific condition but in general if the colony HP reaches zero.
The enemies would come in several waves, I'm thinking always fixed so people could develop some strategies maybe.

Anyway, since Undead Lily will use something similar too (of course with some changes), I thought was better to do an engine that I know already would be used in at least two games :)