Romance instructions and Strategy Questions.

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
Pale_Enchantress
Young scout

Romance instructions and Strategy Questions.

Post by Pale_Enchantress »

I was rather let down with my first play through in that I failed ALL the romances. I was trying for Riley with Shea but he told me he wasn't interested at Rowinda's hot baths and then all the others did (Jariel, Krimm, and then Chalassa in that order). The game was much different from Lauren in that it wasn't obvious what I needed to do for the romances. I believe it was stated that Shea can only romance Riley and Krimm while Althea can only romance Jariel and Chalassa. Does that still hold true even with DLC and all 4 saying "Romance" at the hot baths? Im going to be starting again and either trying Shea Riley or Althea Jariel so any tips for getting those will be appreciated,

After that I was wondering which non warriors do best in the front line. First play through was on normal having my front like be ranger Althea, Krimm and Jariel. (Back was Chalassa, Druid Shea, and Riley). I didn't feel like using Valis. The mages can't front line at all. Out of the three rogue types Jariel, the Hunter Sibling, and Chalassa do any of them have something that makes them better suited for front row than the others?

The four families you can chose one to be the slave of for a day, whats the benefit to each?

The blacksmiths father, can he be found? I never did.

Edit: Forgot super important question. The Stats Are the mage classes the only ones with abilities keyed off "Magic". Like Jariels songs are they based on attack, skill, or magic? What about rogue types elemental attacks? In fact are mages magic bolts attack or magic? Attack affects basic attacks and skill says it affects skills so are fighter type classes skills affected by both strength/attack and skill? Is magic only affected by magic or does skill and/or attack affect it as well.

Finally what is the effect of the potential answers you give for the twins during character creation?

PS: Actually one just extra question I want to know for fun. Does anyone else tend to "spoil" the main characters love interest prioritizing upgrading their gear and buying them things? I always tend to do that.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Romance instructions and Strategy Questions.

Post by jack1974 »

In the DLC after you beat it once, you can then set the initial relationship with menu, so you can choose any main character/romance combo you want independently of what you managed to do in the base game.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Pale_Enchantress wrote:I was rather let down with my first play through in that I failed ALL the romances. I was trying for Riley with Shea but he told me he wasn't interested at Rowinda's hot baths and then all the others did (Jariel, Krimm, and then Chalassa in that order). The game was much different from Lauren in that it wasn't obvious what I needed to do for the romances. I believe it was stated that Shea can only romance Riley and Krimm while Althea can only romance Jariel and Chalassa. Does that still hold true even with DLC and all 4 saying "Romance" at the hot baths? Im going to be starting again and either trying Shea Riley or Althea Jariel so any tips for getting those will be appreciated,
? Did you offend Riley or something? Should be fairly straightforward to romance - most of them happen at the bathhouse
After that I was wondering which non warriors do best in the front line. First play through was on normal having my front like be ranger Althea, Krimm and Jariel. (Back was Chalassa, Druid Shea, and Riley). I didn't feel like using Valis. The mages can't front line at all. Out of the three rogue types Jariel, the Hunter Sibling, and Chalassa do any of them have something that makes them better suited for front row than the others?
I had a lot of success with Chalassa on the front line, especially with her skills. The only downside is she seems to have to sit out fights most frequently for story reasons, so often you'll need another filler. Thieves (your hunter or Jariel) can fill this spot, but don't expect to be using your bow. You can buy bombs to compensate for the loss of ranged abilities.
The four families you can chose one to be the slave of for a day, whats the benefit to each?
I think the special item you get is different for each family.
The blacksmiths father, can he be found? I never did.
I thought this storyline had a resolution as well, but there were multiple missions involved. Maybe you missed something in Act 3?
Finally what is the effect of the potential answers you give for the twins during character creation?
You get minor stat buffs. It should tell you when you pick an answer what your character gained. Different options provide different buffs.
pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus »

No, you never find the Blacksmith's father, but it is hinted that at some future point he will wonder into Shacklespit.

I can't see not using Valis, his only real weakness is he is single target oriented. He and Krimm were always my mainline warriors if the Shea/Althea wasn't one. Chalassa is the next best in my opinion. Then thief Shea/Althea. I never used Jariel as his abilities are just bad. The best mage bar none is Rowinda, then Druid Shea/Althea and finally poor Riley. Riley shines more on the higher difficulties, but on normal his lack of high damage was a bit annoying. I personally almost never used the Thief Shea/Althea either. Preferred the warrior version.

Prior to reaching the bathhouse, you should have Riley at I believe 1 1/2 hearts or maybe its 2 hearts. You need to back him at every opportunity, choose to hear his story, ask his opinion etc. Always choose your love interest over anyone else when given the option. Remember also he like diplomacy over combat.

Magic is just for the spells, and Jariel's songs, skill appears to be for defense only and Attack for any physical combat, at least that is the way I remember but it has been awhile.

Your other questions were answered by the poster above.
Pale_Enchantress
Young scout

Post by Pale_Enchantress »

Thank you both. Jariel's songs still do damage. They have both an initial hit and a dot component. The main reason to use them may be the buff/debuff but some stat affects it. Also it's really funny you consider Riley the worst mage and Jariel not worth using. My experience last game (played on hard) was the entirely inverse. Riley wasn't just the best mage, but the most powerful member of the party entirely and the second most powerful character was definitely Jariel. As far as other mages to I found Druid good but not anywhere near Riley level, and Rowinda to be so weak that she may be the weakest character in the game. I wouldn't say she's a waste of a slot but I can't see any reason to use her unless you just like the character. I don't think I ever offended Riley, just don't know why he didn't like me.

Valis is a fine character, quite strong. Just fitting him in can be an issue since my back line is set in stone Druid/Riley and Jariel (I can't fathom not taking Riley and Jariel, they are way to good. FIrst run though Jariel tanked in the front.) I may take him over Krimm this run. I just got to Chapter two. Using the Rogue + Druid twin combo as I used Warrior + Druid the first time. With a lot of defensive abilities the rogue is working good in the front. We will see if it remains that way. I thought of doing nightmare this time but I am going with hard again.
pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus »

As I said, Riley''s value goes up on the more difficult settings. On normal setting it is all about the damage, and his damage output is not in the same league as Rowinda or the Druid twin. I use an AOE strategy, thus I love Krimm, Chalassa, Druid twin, Rowinda. They have the strongest AOE damage. I use Valis purely as a tank for more difficult fights. Jariels does absolute squat for AOE thus he doesn't fit my style.

When you are in the arena, there are about 3 chances to impress Riley. In one you have to chose to hear his story over that of Krimm. Not easy to realize. Also remember, that Riley is vain and sarcastic until you get him to open up. Also there is no way to pursue multiple romances, if you get a heart with Krimm or have a serious discussion with her, that means you are likely losing a chance to impress Riley. Also never side with Krimm, ever.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Attack is both hit chance and a damage multiplier. Conversely, defense is chance for enemy to miss (or have their attack blocked etc; there are too many flavors of miss) as well as how much damage they do even if they hit.

Attack vs. defense is actually relevant for mages too. You CAN fail to land your spells if the attack:defense ratio is extreme, and IIRC it's not as rare for Magic Bolt.

For completion, magic vs. target magic is the damage multiplier for spells. Also there's a damage cap on everything, I believe it's double base damage. If you're not seeing a "damage range" in the prediction, you've hit this cap, and cannot improve your damage against that target even by increasing your own attack/magic or lowering its defense/magic. However, damage amplification effects will still help.

If you want to see extreme defense in action: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3467
If you want to know why Riley is the best character for extreme nightmare minmaxing: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3443
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.