Can I speed this up?

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
IgamsMan
Young scout

Can I speed this up?

Post by IgamsMan »

I'm on my 3rd playthrough and I have to say this is one of the greatest RPG's I've ever played. It really captures that old school DnD adventure feel. But everytime I update the game it becomes slower. I bought the main game when it first came out and didn't play it for a bit, but once i tried it I became immersed.
After finishing it I bought the expansion and updated to its current version and I've found it runs significantly slower than it did in the previous version. I have a pretty good computer so it seems odd that I can play Farcry 4 with no issues but have lag in this game. Is there anything I can do to improve this or is it just a limitation of the Ren'Py engine?
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Can I speed this up?

Post by jack1974 »

Hmm what does run slower, the battles, or the whole game (even during the cut-scenes) ?
I know Ren'Py should get a new release soon, I already spoke to the developer about some slow-downs I noticed too, and he is working on it. I'll do a "beta update" like always in forums first before replacing the official version live on the site.

One thing you can try is press shift+G while game is running and in the menu that shows up try picking DirectX (or OpenGL if you're already using DX). Sometimes old drivers or incompatibilities can slow down the game.
IgamsMan
Young scout

Post by IgamsMan »

It's just the battles and navigating the menu(saving/loading etc) where it's slower. Cut-scenes are very smooth oddly enough . Before I updated saving/loading was instant but now it tends to take 20 seconds or so. The lag isn't by any means bad it was just unexpected when I was running it fine previously.

Thanks for the fast reply though, I'm gonna do a fresh install and then play with the graphics settings before I continue my game. Definitely looking forward to that beta update though. I'll just have to keep replaying this and Loren to hold me over :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well I think it's something related to driver, I have a rather "low" computer to develop (i3 2120, Radeon HD4600) and here battles are fine. A stupid question but thought to ask, you know that you can speed up the battles with the button on bottom-right? :)
IgamsMan
Young scout

Post by IgamsMan »

Lol yes I always play with battles on fast. But you made me remember I updated to the latest AMD drivers around the same time I updated my game, so I just tried downgrading to the previous version and it's gone back to normal speed. So the problem WAS my drivers and not the game, except that it was the new ones causing me trouble. It seems like the newest AMD drivers always cause me problems now that I think about it :roll: I'm just gonna stick with this version until they do another update but thanks for all the help.