Can not save

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
LadyAhiru
Young scout

Can not save

Post by LadyAhiru »

So i bought the DLC and reinstalled the main game because i got a new PC (yeah me^^)
Anyway I started a new game but i can not save anymore! I get some "Traceback" Error Message and thats it

I really want to replay the game ;(
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Can not save

Post by jack1974 »

Can you post the traceback error?
I think is some file permission problem though, like you unzipped the DLC .zip badly or something like that :)
LadyAhiru
Young scout

Post by LadyAhiru »

Thats what i get:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 261, in __call__
renpy.save(fn, extra_info=save_name)
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Winter Wolves\\Seasons Of The Wolf\\zipfile.txt'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_preferences.rpym", line 29, in script
$ ui.interact()
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\ast.py", line 785, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\python.py", line 1432, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_preferences.rpym", line 29, in <module>
$ ui.interact()
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\ui.py", line 247, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\display\core.py", line 2240, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\display\core.py", line 2868, in interact_core
rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\display\layout.py", line 854, in event
rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\display\layout.py", line 854, in event
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\display\screen.py", line 626, in event
rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\display\layout.py", line 183, in event
rv = d.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, st)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\display\layout.py", line 183, in event
rv = d.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, st)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 778, in event
return handle_click(self.clicked)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 721, in handle_click
rv = run(action)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 290, in run
return var(*args, **kwargs)
File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 261, in __call__
renpy.save(fn, extra_info=save_name)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\loadsave.py", line 290, in save
location.save(slotname, sr)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\savelocation.py", line 398, in save
l.save(slotname, record)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\savelocation.py", line 141, in save
record.write_file(filename)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Seasons Of The Wolf\renpy\loadsave.py", line 226, in write_file
zf.writestr("screenshot.png", self.screenshot)
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy/zipfile.py", line 1149, in writestr
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy/zipfile.py", line 348, in FileHeader
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Winter Wolves\\Seasons Of The Wolf\\zipfile.txt'

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.1.318
Seasons Of The Wolf 1.0.7.8
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes is a file permission error, try to uninstall and reinstall the game in another folder and should work :)
LadyAhiru
Young scout

Post by LadyAhiru »

Okay id did that;)
If I just install the game everything works fine.
Where is the right place to unzip the DLC?^^
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The DLC .zip has the game+DLC so you don't need to put it inside the base game. Just unzip it anywhere in your computer and run the .exe inside, will be the game+DLC all in one.
LadyAhiru
Young scout

Post by LadyAhiru »

ahhhhh ok!
Thank you so much;)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'm having some other users with this issue: I don't know if is a problem of the latest Ren'Py or some strange system/config setting.
Those who have that problem can try to run the .zipped version in forums here: http://winterwolves.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3610
Just unzip it anywhere on your computer and run the .exe. If this one works, then it's definitely an user permission issue (the current user running the game can't create files in the installation folder).
Of course I'll try to make sure the normal .exe installer version works too!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OK Ren'Py coder replied, by mistake a debug file was left in the library that caused that issue. I'll update the game later today with the fix once is ready :)