To those who DIDN'T like the game...

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
Taleweaver
Official writer

Re: To those who DIDN'T like the game...

Post by Taleweaver »

rooke30 wrote: I don't think the story is strong enough to stand on its own (I really feel like the ending was rushed and the last Act was a bit of an anti-climax.)
Nothing I couldn't give a workover.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well as long as I don't have to code more battles, is fine :) but maybe wait for the DLC to come out (talking to rooke30) since I think that one should be interesting!
MegaDissu
Young scout

Post by MegaDissu »

As someone who was... underwhelmed by the game, I found that while the combat focus was a bit annoying, I had more of a problem with the way the story progressed by having days counting down to the next plot event, and the romances seeming to have less chemistry and development than previous games. The days counting down meant I would do all the quests in the first few days, and then only be able to further the games by going to bed a couple times in a row. Then later, when that wasn't an option because the game wouldn't let me do more than one quest a day, that was even MORE annoying. As for the romances, I realize fewer romancable characters means I'm going to have only one or two I really like as opposed to four or five, but I was hoping not having to write as many relationships would mean more time to develop them. Overall, while I would like to see a non-combat version so I can quickly go back and complete character convos I haven't seen before, I don't think that's going to fix the game for some of us.
Alex81
Woods ranger

Post by Alex81 »

Though I love Visual Novels as well, trying to turn a game that was built as something else entirely into one, is a ...difficult decision, especially due to such efforts, though good intention, risk hurting the quality of the entire experience.

Regarding Seasons of the Wolf, perhaps your best rpg yet, I`m not sure it`s got enough meat to make a great VN as well.
That said ,you`re the expert here, I am not, I like lots of genres of games, I can`t claim to know the VN genre nearly as well as I`d like to (even though I`ve -seriously- loved short VNs in the past), but perhaps by making the easiest difficulty -really- easy, almost god-mode easy?
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

jack1974 wrote:I understand about "because you designed the game to make the RPG characteristics the focus, I don't believe it can be fixed with a VN mode", but regarding Ren'Py I don't see how it is an issue. The problem might have been only on mobile where the battles are slow (so it's engine-related), but on desktop the issues are only related to game/battles design and by the fact that people didn't like to play too many/too long battles, but not because of the engine itself :)
The hardest issue was definitely the choose who to talk to, since it may only be 1 at most 2. I found myself annoyed and frustrated because I like many of these type of games for the characters and not even being able to talk to Rowinda and Vealis(?) was hard to take. A VN mode would be hard with that in place.

That was one of the harder things to swallow, no party banter. And when I did get party banter it was solely for romance and a bit extra for 1 non romanceable character. I couldn't become friends with Riley/Krimm/Rowinda and Vealis I could romance Challasa and pick one of them to befriend. In a game about traveling around collecting allies that was a hard pill to swallow.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes it depends on what you're looking for in a RPG, for this SOTW was quite different from Loren. Some preferred this, but the majority preferred Loren's approach, probably also because of my "background" as dating sim creator :mrgreen:
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

It did make me realize I enjoy party mechanic for more than just the romance though. I found any worrying over romance quickly subsided to who I could befriend. I almost skipped romance entirely just to befriend another person. But that is just a testament to how great the characters were written. Wanted to talk and hear backstory to everyone. That was made up by putting their backstories in their quests, but that worked better for some characters than others.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, there wasn't enough time for "quantity", so writer focused on quality, I think he did succeed :) When I think about it, and how "relatively" quickly SOTW was made, I still can't believe it :lol:
weaselton
Young scout

Post by weaselton »

My own 2 cents on this. I do not really fit the description of someone who did not like the game. Between the two I find it hard to decide which one I like better.

I will try to put it in perspective a bit with this.

Loren IS the game that got my attention and the sole reason I looked into your other productions. With that said it is always going to be the standard which other games are measured against.

I think when all the pros and cons of each game when compared to each other are weighed this is my final verdict.

Gameplay. SOTW wins. It is simply a better RPG. There was just more to do in that fashion, plus.
Spoiler:
The fact that there is a full ending for losing the final fight with Chal alone is a superb step. Not sure how many have done this, but if you have not load up that fight, and when you lose pick quit rather than continue.
Story. Loren edges out SOTW barely. Loren was overall a superior tale with more to do. If you include the Bad Blood Seasons picks up most of the ground, but Loren still has a slight edge.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Cool thanks for the feedback :)
I think the main problem was that the story was written quickly. Not "in a hurry", but with some specific deadlines in mind, and limited cast/characters. That's why Loren 2 is taking so long, I want it to be good story/character wise. Then as for the RPG aspect, I think I can do a good job (at least I hope).