Steam feedback

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
DarkWolf
Druid

Re: Steam feedback

Post by DarkWolf »

I too think that SOTW is best Winter Wolfs's game, in fact SOTW is one of my favorite games of all time. Also I don't think that 19h in 2 days is much, my common peace of playing games is 14h-16h daily until I finish them.

And by the way it's necroposting not necro-resurrecting.
DarcieCobalt
Young scout

Post by DarcieCobalt »

Hey, I have a question about the Steam edition of SOTW. I noticed that PSCD had a 'synch achievements' option which really helped me out because I got most achievements on the game I bought directly from the site. My question is, will other games like SOTW, Loren and Heileen get this option as well eventually or is this only for newer games?
It hurts because I hit something important <3
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Unfortunately those games were done long time before the achievements were officially implemented in Ren'Py (I used a library coded by a friend) so that system wouldn't work :( but for all newer ones, yes will be possible!
randomfeedback
Young scout

Post by randomfeedback »

SOTW is the first WW game I purchased and it is still the one that endures as the better title for me. However, there are numerous criticisms I can make:

*You don't get all the companion characters until Act 3, which makes replaying A1 and A2 very dull.
*A2 is overly long in my opinion. There is some repalyability, but it would've benefited from fleshing out the city & four families more.
*The flashback missions are interesting design-wise but don't actually play well a second time.
*There are a number of pretty worthless skills (any buffs that only increase a stat by 10-20% for a few turns is pretty meaningless considering it consumes a turn to use it) that could use a buff
*It feels like some elements are way better than others. Water is really good for A1, Earth and Fire for A2. It's not really balanced, I feel.
*It really bugs me there's no alternative to saving Chalassa (a character who seems to grow the most in the story) besides "picking female as your main and romancing her" - that seems like a really arbitrary requirement you couldn't know in advance and would need a lot of meta knowledge to deduce. It would be much cooler if you had an alternative way to save her that just cost you sacrificing something else.
*There is way. Too. Much. Fighting. I like challenge - I play the game on Nightmare on my first run through after all - I don't mind grinding to get stronger, but the number of FORCED meaningless non-challenging fights, especially in A2, is really, really ridiculous. They could at least have been spaced out more. There's too much fighting for the sake of fighting. I wish you could do things to avoid fighting.

But these are all surface-level problems with the game. It's still very well done.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks for the feedback :)
Yes it's more or less what other people said. It's curious though since another member here, a die-hard fan of the game (fabula) played both Loren and SOTW, doing only the SOTW battles absolutely REQUIRED by the plot (so for example, not the side quests or the traps in A1). The result was that the total amount of battles was more or less the same in both titles :shock:
I admit I was surprised too, because I thought the same as you. So probably in Loren they were just paced better between the plot/writing/scenes. But also, they lasted less (something I tried again to reproduce in QoT).

However in future RPGs I'll do several changes whenever possible:
- reduce the amount of REQUIRED battles. I'll allow grinding but only for those who wants to do it
- reduce the random/randomness of battles. The main criticism of my latest RPG Queen Of Thieves was the random robbery missions. Despite having made over 100 unique variants of the rooms, it's inevitable that people will encounter the same chain of events several times. So, randomness=bad!
- have most characters bisex, unless we have a BIG cast, like Loren 2 or Roger Steel. But when there are only 4 romanceable characters, it's much better to have them all bisex, so people will have more options (and won't require much extra art/writing)
- design the RPG gameplay smarter. As you said, there are too many skills that feels duplicate. From now on, I won't have different skills doing basically the same thing, since it's pointless. Also, inventory! Haha, no way I'll have 10+ inventory slots like in SOTW or even Loren. Probably just weapon, armor, item. Then the variations can be done by having socket/gem/whatever system for the items, but not a big amount of slots for sure
Thenais
Young scout

Post by Thenais »

honestly, 22.99€ on steam must be the reason this game sales are so-so. much too high.
i would have bought it ages ago if it had been at 15€.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I did several sales since its release, one was just a month ago half price, so about 12 eur :) You only need to add it to the wishlist and you'll be notified by Steam when a game is on sale. I do the same on my site with the mailing list.
Thenais
Young scout

Post by Thenais »

i bought loren amazon princess recently and i really loved it, it is a fine game, so i will buy its sequel as soon as afordable ;o

my feedback on loren :

+ lot of characters : i'm loving it :p
+lots of items to customize the characters ( i read that you planed to restrict the number of item slots in your futur games, plz dont be too drastic because playing around with a ton of different stuff gives replayability to the soft imho)
+ music
+ character design
+ combat system is fun

- we cant kick rei from the group XD ( i can't stand him ! )
- cant create a mage saren/eleanor (this character is always the worst in my team, it's sad)
- monster design is quite average (especially a dick faced orc :p )
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

There were 12 equipment slots total, 6 of them just for pieces of armor. Honestly, it was overboard since the armor pieces don't really provide unique bonuses. Most RPGs only really need one slot for armor.