How To Defeat Spirit Bear In Nightmare

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
Beardy Bro
Young scout

Re: How To Defeat Spirit Bear In Nightmare

Post by Beardy Bro »

why do you even want to hurth this fluffyFurryTalkingSnowball ?! he just want your limbs ! you have 4 of 'em.
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

watersky82 wrote:That's amazing. So you are playing Hunter and Ranger in nightmare.

Isn't that a very difficult game in nightmare without the healing power of druid?
Do you have to use lots of potions in the game?
Well, I like the challenge. :P Hunter + Ranger is my favourite combo, although Hunter + Druid is a far easier combo overall, especially since you'll need a lot of purifying at Nightmare level. Unlike those two combos, I''ve never played Druid + Ranger in a full playthrorugh... only up to beating up Yeldin (I had 2 savefiles with that combo from the end of act 2, but those got borked in a RenPy update months ago and there were other people testing with D+R...), so take this with a grain of salt: regarding the overall difficulty and based on the mechanics I observed during first two acts,I'd say that H/R is the most difficult one, H/D the easiest one and D/R is somewhere in between those. Of course, this depends a LOT on your particular build. Ranger has one good healing skill, but I don't use it. :P And that one skill really does not compare with Druid's purification, anyway, especially the longer the game progresses. Hunter can heal only her/himself using the bandage skill and scrolls usable by mages only are far more powerful healing items than potions.

Especially in acts 3 and 4 there are a number of specific fights where H/R combo isn't particularly difficult. You'll have enough HPregen to cope with the help of Jariel, plus that single person purification-skill....But then there are those fights where you really wish you had picked up Druid: Done the Mysterious Assassin fight yet without a druid and party already beaten to pulp when he shows up? Dark wizards casting madness on everybody? Deceit paralyzing and driving people insane and swiping Jariel's buffs off all the time? Oh, how much fun those are without purification or tree of life.... :P

Yea, I use a lot of potions, but that's just one fun aspect to play with, I think, since the hunter (as well as JAriel and Chas) can also use those offensive potions, and not only the healing stuff. That's just more versatility to the hunter. The potion of paralysis thrown by a high attack (so that she/he is less likely to miss) hunter gives several turns of guaranteed paralysis (as long as we're not talking about bosses) to a selected enemy..backrow, frontrow... and it doesn't require stagger like some other paralysis skills.

In short, hunter is just way too much fun to not have around. Ranger is also versatile as you can go offensive or defensive with it. Variatio delectat. :P Druid is a powerful class, but more so on the healing side. Rowinda is more destructive once she joins and I've played the healer-part already way too many times in other games...
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

I think it swaps. Druid/Ranger is powerful and has great survivability in the first two acts. But when you get to Acts 3 and 4, just being survivable no longer matters since most bosses gain healing and infinite SP regeneration. The damage and flexibility of the Hunter outshines both in the second half of the game.

Plus, the Ranger doesn't really have any special consumables to use or throw around and less synergy among her skills (with separate skills for dual-weild, one hand+shield, and two-hand). Sure, you have some options, but nothing like the combo-stacking potential of the Hunter.

I also found my Druid spending more and more time healing and purifying in the late game, which makes most of the offensive skills go to waste. (In fact, I don't think I ever found a situation where you'd want to take one of the Druid's AoE skills on Nightmare.) In contrast, the first half of the game my Druid was the most powerful offensive nuker on the team.