fixed items

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
renke_
Elder Druid

Re: fixed items

Post by renke_ »

to answer my question: with Assassin no one is able to equip the dagger :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes you need either to put characters' name, or in case of the twins the Class (Ranger,Hunter,Druid).
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

too bad. but in general I think the dagger would a fitting second item for Chalassa to push some regen in her direction.

yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

renke_ wrote:the party gets the dagger before Chalassa joins for good - it would feel weird to own an item restricted to someone not in the party ^^
This problem is easier to solve - just let Chalassa ninjaloot the dagger.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

he, I like it.

"Give me that, the dagger is MINE. And you're anyway not able to tap the full potential."

it should be possible without dirty hacks to define 2 Sliths - one w/o regen, the second one Chalassa-specific with the whole set of attributes - when Chalassa claims it the first one is removed and the second version added to the inventory.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Anyway even if not restricted, as it is now, probably nobody but the Hunter and Chalassa would want to use it (other heavier blade/weapons should be more powerful).
renke_ wrote:it should be possible without dirty hacks to define 2 Sliths - one w/o regen, the second one Chalassa-specific with the whole set of attributes - when Chalassa claims it the first one is removed and the second version added to the inventory.
this is a hack. Sorry but the engine has reached the maximum amount of hack allowed: 65535 :mrgreen:

Since players need to restart is easier to define another "tier", "Assassin" and give it only to Hunter and Chalassa. But then if you want to add other items like this, it won't work unless you start again from beginning. And I'm sure once I allow it once, people will want this again. It's a drug!

I honestly don't think is such a big deal how an item in act1 is restricted.
I think I need to get ACT3 out quick before you start getting bored and come out with the most crazy ideas :lol: (doesn't depend on me though, waiting for tileset artist...)
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

I think here's a misunderstanding - I want use Slith as Chalassa-only item to complete the Blood Band. But the party finds the dagger before Chalassa joins the party and I thought it would be nicer to see "Assassin only" instead of "Chalassa only" (the effect is the same, though).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ahh OK. Well I can do this: replace the "char name" with his/her "class name". So you'd see:
Chalassa=Assassin
Vaelis=Mercenary
Rowinda=Warlock
etc. If is not too confusing this change is acceptable :)
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

this woud be valid for most items so far but one: The engagement ring works _much_ better with Rowinda only ;)

most flexible would be to allow both notations (name or class), but to avoid more delay: Just keep it the current way, "Chalassa only" without Chalassa in the party is only a negligible immersion breaker.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I think ninjaloot is a better solution. And the assassin could yell something about Slith as he attacks you so it's not totally weird that Chalassa ends up having a dagger with that name.

Consider that the personal items feel a lot less personal if they are class restricted rather than character restricted, even if there are no class duplicates.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.