My gambling problem - the issues with equipment

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
renke_
Elder Druid

Re: My gambling problem - the issues with equipment

Post by renke_ »

yayswords wrote:Yes but in Diablo shops are not my main source of equipment.
this :)
jack1974 wrote:Diablo was an example :)
I can't remember a RPG (with the exception of Rogue-likes*) where item upgrades are totally dependend on the RNG Gods - fixed** better equipment should be available in every play-trough (drops or shops)

*) I like those games, but they are completely out of scope here and Winterwolves's games aren't (and shouldn't ^^) comparable with this category
**) for different kinds of "fixed", but randomized *better* equipment is much easier to create when the item has not a gazillion attributes ^^

PS I don't play nightmare, my RL is creepy enough :P
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah well then if that's the problem I can reduce the amount of gold you get playing! :wink:
Jokes apart I never checked if gold was enough or low. I can reduce it more so that "buying a rare item" feels like something instead of "I just have 2000 gold but I don't want to use it".

Define "junk" also. I just loaded one of your save and entered that Trinket'n'treasures shop, and found at least 10 items (distributed between the various members of course) that were better than current equip. If by junk you mean "not Rare and that is super powerful" then yes, in shops there can be a few of those items, but not always.

I don't know how to solve this. If I change it so that shops only sell items "fine to rare", would that help ? don't know :) I surely can't change the item randomization, nor I have time to manually create 500+ items like I did with Loren.

Loren also didn't had item levels, was easier to spot good items? Maybe all the new features I added on SOTW only made things worse, lol next time won't do that and save my time! nothing worse than working like a crazy to only get worse results... :(
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

yayswords wrote: Hello Jack. I'm about to start act 3. I have 20,000 gold. Can you design a skill that allows me to throw it at enemies, because I can't seem to find any other use for it.
I'm totally in love with this: New weapon cat sling, usable by Krimm, ammunition is one coin wrapper (15 gold) per shot
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Ah well then if that's the problem I can reduce the amount of gold you get playing!
You could probably at least nerf the Lugal loot. Not only do their frequent plate drops sell for tons, they also mean I don't really buy plate armor/leggings because I count on them to give me.

If you nerf my income I will probably roulette less for SPR yes. Still would want items worth my gold though, but I sure wouldn't hoard 40 SPR because "I'm rich enough to afford semi-convenience".
found at least 10 items (distributed between the various members of course) that were better than current equip.
Not sure which save that is. But by "better" do you only mean green background? I can tell you I don't quite value Weakened resistance on my mages quite as much as the game thinks I should ;)

Lots of +armor, +attack, +magic or +speed is what I'd typically consider to be not junk.
I don't know how to solve this. If I change it so that shops only sell items "fine to rare", would that help ?
Item quality isn't as huge a factor as the "primary affix". A rare water resistance ring is most likely gonna be less attractive than a normal +speed ring.

As for Loren, no I don't think you did anything bad between them. I think Loren hard was just so easy I didn't bother whoring over gear.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

please be careful with reduced income: not everyone optimizes encounters (max amount of enemies), at the end of Act 2 my party doesn't drown in gold and sellable items (no example values, my end-Act-2 savegames crash with "could not find label c:\\[..]/scene14_shacklesplit.rpy" :))
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

not everyone optimizes encounters (max amount of enemies)
That could be an interesting topic in itself. I'd contend that it's a legitimate way to increase risk and reward. It's still a reroll though.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes by better I meant green background, and they had + attack, speed etc, not the resistances :)

I guess I can reduce the amount of items drop from enemies. I'll do it so that you can get some powerful items but are rare to get. Makes no sense to fill player's inventory with garbage items that will be good only to resell them. I'll try that, enemies dropping more good stuff but in less quantity.
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

oh, I never meant this would be some kind of bug using or so, it is a matter-of-fact statement about the different ways to play SotW. I believe your approach is alright, but I wouldn't like it if I have to follow your example when Jack reduces my income ;)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No the income should still be good, but instead of getting, say, 2 "standard" platemail, you'll get 1 masterwork one with less frequency. Still the masterwork one would cost 1500+ gold, and if you sell it you'll still make plenty of money, but in the first testing I did, in many occasion was better than what I was wearing already. So at least from battles you get good equipment now :)
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

renke_ wrote:please be careful with reduced income: not everyone optimizes encounters (max amount of enemies), at the end of Act 2 my party doesn't drown in gold and sellable items
I bet there are enough players who do not even fight all the enemies that are there on the map, let alone reroll. I mean, there's no obligation to go fight the mercs at the red arrows after delivering the invitations. Even the invitation quest doesn't require one to fight mercs at every single red arrow on the territory (except for Lugal)

I'm not rolling in gold at the end of act 2, either. However, I do confess that this is because I stock up with bombs and potions and scrolls at the very end of the act when they are cheapest to buy in quantity (reputation benefits :P)
Nothing against less loot but more usability from enemy encounters.
Last edited by fabulaparva on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.