SOTW 0.8.24.18 - Second Act Beta!

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
loverofbooks
Young scout

Re: SOTW 0.8.24.18 - Second Act Beta!

Post by loverofbooks »

jack1974 wrote:yes the previous builds could have some compatibility issues with saves :( you don't have any previous save available? from this version 0.8.24.18 until the end of beta saves should (finally!) be all compatible!

I don't have any other saves other than the one that i have saved from the other builds. I could try to roll back more on my other saves in the other builds and see if i can get it to work.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Unfortunately during betas is a good idea to save often and in several different slots, and in any case is not uncommon for saves to not be compatible, in particular if the main engine is even updated like happened in this case...!
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

jack1974 wrote:Unfortunately during betas is a good idea to save often and in several different slots, and in any case is not uncommon for saves to not be compatible, in particular if the main engine is even updated like happened in this case...!
Thank goodness you don't have Easter eggs in your game that would insult the player for much saving! :lol: I have played one RPG-maker based game where at one point you can check the number of your saves (in your upstairs cupboard) and if it's higher than a certain number, it says something along the lines, "That's quite cowardly!" :P (On the other hand, if you have a small number of saves, it'll give you goodies. )

@renke: Good to see you're alive!
loverofbooks
Young scout

Post by loverofbooks »

jack1974 wrote:Unfortunately during betas is a good idea to save often and in several different slots, and in any case is not uncommon for saves to not be compatible, in particular if the main engine is even updated like happened in this case...!
I tried to save another slot by rolling back a bit in the game and this is what popped up.
Spoiler:
"I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 328, in __call__
renpy.load(fn)
Exception: Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 29, in script
$ ui.interact()
File "C:\Users\Amber\Desktop\visual novels\SOTW-0.8.24.18-all\renpy\ast.py", line 778, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "C:\Users\Amber\Desktop\visual novels\SOTW-0.8.24.18-all\renpy\python.py", line 1382, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 29, in <module>
$ ui.interact()
File "C:\Users\Amber\Desktop\visual novels\SOTW-0.8.24.18-all\renpy\ui.py", line 247, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\Amber\Desktop\visual novels\SOTW-0.8.24.18-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 2145, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\Amber\Desktop\visual novels\SOTW-0.8.24.18-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 2746, in interact_core
rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
File "C:\Users\Amber\Desktop\visual novels\SOTW-0.8.24.18-all\renpy\display\layout.py", line 840, in event
rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
File "C:\Users\Amber\Desktop\visual novels\SOTW-0.8.24.18-all\renpy\display\layout.py", line 840, in event
File "C:\Users\Amber\Desktop\visual novels\SOTW-0.8.24.18-all\renpy\display\screen.py", line 612, in event
rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
File "C:\Users\Amber\Desktop\visual novels\SOTW-0.8.24.18-all\renpy\display\layout.py", line 183, in event
rv = d.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, st)
File "C:\Users\Amber\Desktop\visual novels\SOTW-0.8.24.18-all\renpy\display\layout.py", line 183, in event
rv = d.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, st)
File "C:\Users\Amber\Desktop\visual novels\SOTW-0.8.24.18-all\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 768, in event
return handle_click(self.clicked)
File "C:\Users\Amber\Desktop\visual novels\SOTW-0.8.24.18-all\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 711, in handle_click
rv = run(action)
File "C:\Users\Amber\Desktop\visual novels\SOTW-0.8.24.18-all\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 274, in run
return var(*args, **kwargs)
File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 328, in __call__
renpy.load(fn)
File "C:\Users\Amber\Desktop\visual novels\SOTW-0.8.24.18-all\renpy\loadsave.py", line 574, in load
log.unfreeze(roots, label="_after_load")
File "C:\Users\Amber\Desktop\visual novels\SOTW-0.8.24.18-all\renpy\python.py", line 1366, in unfreeze
self.rollback(0, force=True, label=label, greedy=False, on_load=True)
File "C:\Users\Amber\Desktop\visual novels\SOTW-0.8.24.18-all\renpy\python.py", line 1224, in rollback
raise Exception("Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?")
Exception: Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.18.0.614
Seasons Of The Wolf 0.8.24.18"
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes that's what happens if you try to load older saves. If you STARTED a game in 0.8.24.18 it SHOULD (99% but not 100%) be compatible for future updates, otherwise the only solution is start from scratch.
The betas are like this - not always, but for reason behind my control it can happen :(
loverofbooks
Young scout

Post by loverofbooks »

aww, well thanks for clearing that up for me! :) and congrads on getting the game finished!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Closing down this thread, since I'm uploading the new act beta :) I decided to not wait for the last art, since I can always add it during the beta (should be just an extra lighthouse location, nothing else).