about enslavement and losing your possessions!

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

about enslavement and losing your possessions!

Post by jack1974 »

Made a different topic since is a question that could pop up often and don't want it to be buried in a thread somewhere during beta :)

As you know if you played the game, the party gets enslaved at end of Act I (not a spoiler since the story starts as they're fighting in the Arena).

Normally you could expect that being captured and enslaved, you'll lose all your possessions.
I thought about this. Is possible to do it, but since there are no unique items in the first act, and since the party will level up during second act (not sure yet how much but probably around lvl 12-13) even if I have all the items stripped, and then restored if/when they escape, wouldn't be worth much because all your level 5-6 items would look crap :lol:

So I decided to let the player keep the possession, except money. Makes sense since they must fight in the Arena so they need to be equipped, also as you'll read more in details, the party will be free to move but because of a very powerful spell cast upon them, unable to leave Dingirra.
renke_
Elder Druid

Re: about enslavement and losing your possessions!

Post by renke_ »

Ah, good to know - thanks. [And I will buy crap from the 700-1000 gold at the end of act 1, to transfer at least some of the money :)]
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Maybe there should be a FAQ (I could maybe even run it) for this and other concerns. We have threads running 20+ pages after all.

Oh and under 0.8.5 nightmare spare gold seems a distant luxury. My party is constantly broke :P
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

A FAQ seems a goo idea, if you want to do it go ahead :)
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Yeah well while thinking about it I realized I don't think I've really seen a single frequently asked question here :P so not yet anyway.
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

yayswords wrote:Maybe there should be a FAQ (I could maybe even run it) for this and other concerns. We have threads running 20+ pages after all.

Oh and under 0.8.5 nightmare spare gold seems a distant luxury. My party is constantly broke :P
pah, FAQ. Winterwolves forum is not meant for the fainthearted.

I just checked and my last to play-throughts on normal had a net result of 1800 (0.8.6a+b) and 1500 (0.8.6c) [fucking hunter, I was in the pub all the time. no idea how you can work with this class :)]. Is your brokenness in nightmare related to higher healing costs or are you not able to loot all traps?
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Oh yeah I meant 0.8.6 but anyway.

I would say economy has a nice cycle. You kill mobs which gets you gold which gets you better gear which lets you kill more mobs. Then you add the parts where the mobs are part of a quest and you get fame to make gear cheaper. And it can snowball like that.

Or it can not snowball. It used to be that I could have 7/8 quests completed in chapter one with very few traps left instantly unmolested and buy the smallest upgrades I could find, and I'd end the season with a gold pile like yours. This time, it was 4/8. I don't think I will be killing a SINGLE random spawn/trap here in chapter three. I killed the kodiak the first day and Mormont the first night. Now I have two days left for the spider and the bear cub. And it's not looking bright...
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

yayswords wrote:And it's not looking bright...
Trapped in a nightmare, eh?
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

Well, obviously it's a nice "emergency bank" to have in form of weapons. Good to know that not all of the weapon shopping will have gone to waste, even if their power will be worth nothing at the end of Act II. ... Or one could just invest in potions and bombs (especially bombs!! :lol:) at the end of Act I and take those with them.
Having said that, I would have actually preferred to have everything taken away from them, possibly making an exception for what they'd have equipped. The Dingirra arena could just give them some crappy weapons in the beginning for show. Losing all possessions would make the story feel more real and all that jazz, despite powerful spells, etc. :D
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

From a story PoV it makes sense they wouldn't let you keep your gold. But maybe there's some way you could hide it from them? Gameplay-wise it's just going to encourage spending it all on stuff you don't really want. Maybe some people will even become scared to keep gold around.