SOTW 0.8.9 - First Act Beta preview!

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: SOTW 0.8.9 - First Act Beta preview!

Post by jack1974 »

No, are more about strategy, like in one quest you need to protect a hostage, so you pick a party member, and that party member must never die during the next battles (so even if you resurrect doesn't matter). Stuff like that :) also in the last part there are 4 quests, one for each family, but you can only pick one.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Achievement: Druid hostage, must be in frontline.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

adding some extra stuff now. After you complete the mission for any of the four families, if you go back to their palace they'll offer you to buy very powerful items, available nowhere else in the game 8) this one is a one-use potion that increases all your stats by 5% for 10 turns (so in practice at the 10th turn your character has 500% all the power and is VERY powerful).
Of course you're not required to buy them, but thought was a fun thing to add :)
And since you can only do a mission for one family, will add replay value since each one will give you a unique "power boost" that you can buy.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Karen didn't need any such potion, she just needed for the player not to have the mysterious foresight to strip her of equipment before the duel. What a poor sales pitch.

srs note: do all the houses offer the same items?
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

this one is a one-use potion that increases all your stats by 5% for 10 turns (so in practice at the 10th turn your character has 500% all the power and is VERY powerful).
Ahheemm... 5*10 is 50, not 500

Anyways, I would very likely pass up the 1* potion in favor of something bringing a bonus which can be used more often. (These 1* stuff usually ends up unused because of the "not yet - not any more" factor: First I say "not yet cause I might need it later, than I have so much better stuff I need it no longer.)

But I would like to own a house like the one of Gamesh family.
Karen didn't need any such potion, she just needed for the player not to have the mysterious foresight to strip her of equipment before the duel. What a poor sales pitch.
Well yes, Karen my favorite char after Elenor. Very useful in any situation, very versatile. And her story arc being quite tragic and touching.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha yes sorry, did wrong math :) still even at 50% is very powerful.
I don't want to give some unique equipment items, for that there are already a lot of quests that reward you with that. I wanted to give the possibility to buy some powerful item but that you can use only once, maybe to win one of the final battles of act2 which are rather tough :wink: You can buy any quantity, though they're very expensive (500g each!).
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

jack1974 wrote:I wanted to give the possibility to buy some powerful item but that you can use only once, maybe to win one of the final battles of act2 which are rather tough :wink: You can buy any quantity, though they're very expensive (500g each!).
Heh, sounds very expensive, especially in NM-mode where one's short of cash all the time anyway... Couldn't Riley as an illusionist make their cash pile look triple-quadruple times as large? :P

Anyway, one-time-only items are fine with me. As long as they kick some serious (Dingirra) butt. :P
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes they're all powerful (in case I can tweak). I wanted them to be a kind of "last resort" in desperate situations. Obviously, if you always reload the game they won't make much sense, but I cannot prevent that :mrgreen:
(or I could add a Iron Man achievement that unlocks only if you never reload a battle save! that would be quite hard to achieve though)
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

Such an achievement would be very desirable. But achieving such a feat should also require playing in Hard or NM-mode. It'd be no fun to get it in Easy-mode; that'd be more like a Tin Man achievement. :P
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes of course would work only playing Hard or Nightmare mode :)
(Like Loren's achievement for the boss fights, would work only in Hard mode).