pre order bonus

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
renke_
Elder Druid

Re: pre order bonus

Post by renke_ »

I don't see the big issue with Shea - 4 of the 5 according to Wikipedia notable Shea's are: Male
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

renke_ wrote:I don't see the big issue with Shea - 4 of the 5 according to Wikipedia notable Shea's are: Male
Shea is a fair male name. The few Sheas I know, most are male.

And I still remember Shea Ohmsford from the Sword of Shannara series after all these years.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I think you find it instinctive at a certain age (by which I mean past infancy where you don't have a concept of normalcy) to find names that end with a, female. I could name some exceptions too but I had already heard of those when I was a toddler. I have never heard of someone named Shea before so I saw a at the end and thought female name. And still do :P
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

yayswords wrote:I think you find it instinctive at a certain age (by which I mean past infancy where you don't have a concept of normalcy) to find names that end with a, female. I could name some exceptions too but I had already heard of those when I was a toddler. I have never heard of someone named Shea before so I saw a at the end and thought female name. And still do :P
Oh, certainly understandable. What can make it also difficult is someone seeing "Shea" for the first time, and finds out, at least in the US, it is pronounced as "Shay" (rhymes with Day). As the versions I know come from Celtic origin, it makes sense.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Shay does sound male, or at least neutral enough. Would it be the same deal with Althea, then?

ps yours was the 1000th post on this forum, grats ;p
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

yayswords wrote:Shay does sound male, or at least neutral enough. Would it be the same deal with Althea, then?

ps yours was the 1000th post on this forum, grats ;p
I've also seen one variation of Shea where it was Anglicized with Shaye.

As for Althea, it is how one would expect it, pronounced as Al-thee-ah, and of Greek origin I believe.
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

jack1974 wrote:Letting the player customize the names would mean that I should browse through all the text replacing explicit references to it. Also, the big golden font that shows up in inventory and vendor is not software but hand made. And I'm sure I'm missing something else :) Is doable but is definitely not a small change, and can lead to extra bugs, so for now I'm not sure if I'll add that.
Though I still don't like the random junk route [:P] it is probably the only way without much custom development.

But it would be great if the special item is memorable - make it literally twinkling. The function "Animation" already exists and if you restrict the item to one type two more images should be doable - I thought of something like this.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

I like the name of your (?) domain, renke_.

But yes, twinkling should be possible. IIRC RenPy can display gifs, and what a GIF can contain ... well, there are websites full of example films. Simple blinking should be relativly painless to do. As long as the item is not to powerful to unbalance the game ("sword of easy fights on torment level") it should be OK.
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

afaik renpy doesn't support animated GIF, but something like

Code: Select all

image ring animated:
    "ring1.png"
    pause 0.5
    "ring2.png"
    pause 0.5
    "ring3.png"
    pause 0.5
    repeat
should be possible.

PS "whois <domain>" should solve your question, my first name is nearly an UID :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah yes, I can easily add those effects to the unique item, that's a good idea :) writing it down now!