about this RPG

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: about this RPG

Post by jack1974 »

I just added the possibility to win a battle by killing a specific enemy.
I was going to add also a time limit... when I realized looking at the code that is really not possible to calculate "a turn" :lol: since there aren't fixed turns but it all depends on the various party / enemy speed, which effects/conditions they have, and so on.
So I'm afraid but no time-limited battles :mrgreen:
Already having the "kill a specific enemy" makes more interesting though.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

I was going to add also a time limit... when I realized looking at the code that is really not possible to calculate "a turn" :lol: since there aren't fixed turns but it all depends on the various party / enemy speed, which effects/conditions they have, and so on.
You could always add a "soft" time limit, that everyone - friend or for - takes x HP each round. And find an explanation why a faster figure takes the damage faster (stepping more often on the spikes or whatever). Of course you would claim "the battlefield environment did it" and specifically select enemies which have lots of HP but other disadvantages (so same level, more or less, but better suited). This way the player would want to win, and win fast, but could survive even a long fight with lots of potions.
Already having the "kill a specific enemy" makes more interesting though.
Assuming I win by killing a specific enemy, will I get full XP, or just the XP for the enemies killed?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I can have damage dealing debuff at beginning of battle, so probably will do that, but not as a generic "you need to survive 8 turns" like I was doing before.
And yes you'll get the full encounter XP even if you kill just the target, otherwise wouldn't be fair :wink:
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

You could always just have higher speed victims take less damage from it. But I sure hope the mechanic won't be used often, if at all.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

jack1974 wrote:when I realized looking at the code that is really not possible to calculate "a turn" :lol: since there aren't fixed turns but it all depends on the various party / enemy speed, which effects/conditions they have, and so on.
I don't see the problem, one turn are imho n actions, with n=number of participants. This would mean that a turn can end before all participants take part but this is a logical consequence of your speed dynamics. Place a small marker (with a turn counter) at the order column on the right side of the combat screen and the current turn should be transparent for us players.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well I made some tests, but was resulting a bit weird. I mean maybe for me, the coder, you, etc is clear. But I can imagine already many people getting confused "what, that enemy hit me two times and I just cast a fireball!". Is hard to explain well how it works to everyone, even more casual gamers. Also, playing it a bit, wasn't really fun/working as intended.
I managed to add pre-existing conditions on the battlefield though:
in this case is a bonus for the player, all enemies start with a bleeding condition. I can add any kind of condition at the beginning, I'm sure I'll find some good uses to it :twisted:
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

in this case is a bonus for the player, all enemies start with a bleeding condition. I can add any kind of condition at the beginning, I'm sure I'll find some good uses to it :twisted:
Why do I get the feeling that usually it won't be the enemies who get bleeding/poisoned/frozen condition? :mrgreen:
gamesempie
Young scout

Post by gamesempie »

Another option you could try for the turn counter is if the reason for the time limit is because a mage is charging up for a powerful spell or a specific unit is about to escape you could use their turns for the counter so killing them before the turn limit is an unmentioned exploit and in harder modes you could give the other units a priority to keep that unit under the guard ability to make that harder.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes but I wanted something simple to add, since from now on I want to concentrate on finishing the game. So if is something simple/quick to add I'll do it, otherwise will save the idea for another game :)
OtterFace
Young scout

Post by OtterFace »

So when's the estimated release date then? :D