skills suggestions

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
DunKalar
Woods ranger

Re: skills suggestions

Post by DunKalar »

I meant if the barbarian is hit she (at least you spoiler her gender) gets a bonus on damage :D not if she hits a target.

Memo: train my english to better influence Jack
#ChambarasArmy #ChalassasFreedomFighters
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes that's what I meant - since she will be ALWAYS be hit at least once in combat, that skill will always trigger, and I think it would overpower her a bit 8) unless you meant that the effect only last one turn. But I don't want to have "passive skills" in this game. At least for now, I might change things later in the game during testing.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

the mercenary skilltree also has some interesting skills. Dirty tricks will be another very powerful skill as long as you can keep the SP up (so SP potions and skills will be very important). Leap attack is also very useful against enemy mages hiding in the back row :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Illusionist class done. As expected, lots of buff/debuff/mind tricks and only Paralyze does some direct damage. Now you see that the Druid is quite a powerful offensive caster after all :mrgreen: As always all is work-in-progress and might change from now to the final game release.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

How should I understand the abilities "Dirty Tricks" and "Study Opponent"? Is it like the char spends x SP when the ability is chosen, and the round ends now. Next round (until it wears off/is dispelled) it gives bonus damage, and costs more SP in case of DT?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes exactly. Like in Loren all the skill have a timer, so even if in those the wait is very short, it cannot be "instant". However you'll be able to move again in most cases before some other enemies (depends on their speed).
By the way I'll have the text checked/proofread but if you have better suggestion on how to write the description of the skills more clearly, I'm all ears :)
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

There is a catch: I could provide a more clear description, but it would be a wall of text which noone ever would read. :shock: In the short version, I do not see how it could be done better.

Right now, in developer documents, you need to know what is what, and the rest of us will just ask if necessary.
at-a-glance
Young scout

Post by at-a-glance »

jack1974 wrote:I'll add it once I officially announce it, including the title. All I can tell for now is that there will be the word "Wolf" in the name :wink:
What's the timeframe of Mystery Wolf's :) release?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Tsk you don't read CAREFULLY all my blog posts! :wink:
This fall COULD begin the beta testing but all depends on the artist/writer (and my own time) as usual. I even have another dating sim in progress but I don't even want to talk about it until is at good point. I know people are curious but don't want to start talking about a game anymore if I'm not sure it will be out reasonably soon (where soon=within the next 10-12 months! :lol:).
Seloun
Young scout

Post by Seloun »

Without costs it's pretty hard to do analyses...assumption is that version 1/2/3 all have the same time/SP cost.

As a general note this probably makes almost all of the active abilities scale too well. Even if abilities have scaling costs, it'll be quite difficult to balance to make anything besides (take 1 point) or (max first) to be a relevant choice.

Illusionist:

Slumber - this is a pretty nice debuff, though I would suggest making it scale against duration rather than effect. Something like a 2/3/4 or 3/5/7 would be a pretty nice progression.
Vigor - Seems reasonable, though without knowing cost/pool scaling it's hard to judge if percentage based is the right way to go.
Ghost Form - would keep attack debuff constant (50%?) or more likely have it go down with scaling, unless you are looking for lower levels to be more useful than higher level at times. Something like 300% defense always (or something like 300%/350%/400%) with attack scaling of (75%/50%/33%), making it always a good emergency defense, but more widely usable with higher rank.
Paralyze - Personally, I really hate RNG status effects; I'd say make the paralyze effect 100%, and just scale damage. Scaling damage alone still makes it worthwhile assuming the time cost doesn't go up, since you are effectively getting the bonus for free. I'd suggest making the scaling somewhat bigger, however (50%/100%/150%, perhaps). The actual values would have to balanced depending on how hard it'll be to apply staggered; this should compare favorably to Slumber against non-bosses (since Slumber is usable against bosses, presumably). Overall though this is a pretty weak effect, since it's unclear how often you'll really keep a minion around for 3 turns after it's been a) staggered and b) hit with this.
Haste - Again would scale based on duration rather than effect.

Mercenary:

Rally: Again, I would choose to scale duration for buffs. The Rally bonus is pretty small and should last a fair while - you're giving up an attack to do this, so unless the debuff duration reduction is what you're actually going for, the damage buff should be comparable to your lost attack. May also scale the debuff reduction too; for Rally duration alone seems insufficient since it's dual-effect. Alternatively, increase the types of debuffs with scaling.
Dirty Tricks: This sounds ridiculously overpowered; +150% would mean 2.5x damage, presumably? Something like 30%/40%/50% is probably more than sufficient (depends a bit on duration vs. activation time). It's little unclear why this has a cost per round instead of just a cost, and then a buff; mechanically it feels essentially identical. FWIW, as with most buffs, I would recommend scaling the duration if ability costs/times aren't going to scale.
Study Opponent: Sounds like it's in the same design space as Dirty Tricks. Also unclear if it's multiplicative, or if Study+Dirty (Sturdy?) will really result in 8.75x damage. This is dangerous because this is almost like giving 6 (or maybe 9) ranks of scaling Dirty Tricks. This feels like it should be replaced with something else (maybe a useful-against-boss type active, to go with the mage-removal and minion-removal, like a DoT-applying attack).
Leap Attack: Unclear how easy it'll be to stagger someone in the back row, and if you can stagger someone in the back row, why you really need other sources of hitting that person. Also, still dislike RNG status effects...scaling duration on confuse would probably make more sense (1/2/3). In that case I'm not sure this really needs a damage scaling as well given that you're already getting a bonus from 0% - since you can't attack the back row otherwise. Model might make more sense if it involves leaping over a staggered person in the *front* row (or an empty spot).
Final Blow: Still dislike RNG status effects...I'm not sure why this can't just be an instant kill that improves % health threshold. Should hit, then check threshold (not sure if that's the intended design) so that weaker enemies still are more easily affected. Critting feels rather unnecessary, and has potential to scale too well with all of the damage buffs in this tree already.