What are you playing?

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
BobTheMob
Druid

Re: What are you playing?

Post by BobTheMob »

I keep seeing this thing Doki Doki Literature Club pop up everywhere and from what I understand there are references to Edgar Allan Poe in that game.

Does anyone know if I'm right about that? 'Cause if there are I GOTTA check that out! :twisted:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

That game is a "break fourth wall" one. It's super popular, though I haven't had time to play it yet. In practice starts a normal dating sim and then becomes creepy, you can't control your screen, etc (like makes your computer feel possessed and such). I am not a fan of breaking 4th wall, but it's so popular that must be done well :)

I found an "interesting" game (for me as game developer): http://store.steampowered.com/app/67139 ... x_Obscura/
very fanservice obviously (you can see it already from the screenshots!) but to me is interesting the art style since it's basically to what I wanted to accomplish with Vera Blanc but obviously in that game is done 100x times better :lol: (better art quality I mean).

The match3 game is not particularly fun or bad, but the story has full voice acting and "animated panels". I love manga art and as said I'll do only games with it, but playing that game and seeing it was well received on Steam, made me consider if to make a last attempt at something similar... but without minigames :mrgreen:
Ayacast
Young scout

Post by Ayacast »

I played Doki Doki Literature Club recently (at night, baaaad idea), I didn't catch any particular literary references? It is a compelling and fairly short visual novel and I get why it was included in several lists "Top games of the year" but it can get gimmicky at times. Anyway, the less said about the plot, the better, going into the game blindly constitutes the best experience ^^

I haven't seen Metropolis: Lux Obscura before, I'm not a fan of the art style, the in-your-face nudity and violence seem rather crude and pure fanservice without substance... Well, that's just my opinion judging by the apparence ^^'
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ayacast wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:21 pm pure fanservice without substance
Like 99% of the top selling VN on Steam :wink:
Jokes apart, yes I was looking at that one purely from the art style, not the actual contents, I would want to put some story/romance and not just sex and stop :lol:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

jack1974 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:02 amI found an "interesting" game (for me as game developer): http://store.steampowered.com/app/67139 ... x_Obscura/
very fanservice obviously (you can see it already from the screenshots!) but to me is interesting the art style since it's basically to what I wanted to accomplish with Vera Blanc but obviously in that game is done 100x times better :lol: (better art quality I mean).
Already completed all the endings - it's a pretty underwhelming game, but the premise isn't that bad, and I like the comic style. The match 3 game is pretty broken though.

I do prefer http://store.steampowered.com/app/594680/Shuyan_Saga/
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Nice, that is definitely way above indie levels though! :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Battle Chasers: Nightwar -- I dropped this game months ago, but now starting again after the patches got released. I like the presentation, but the story so far only does enough to move the game along. The turn-based combat on the surface is familiar to those that played a lot of JRPGs, but it has a few nuances that make it more interesting than most of its ilk. Most notably, you can use certain basic Actions generate Overcharge. Overcharge, in practice, allows the characters to use their more powerful Abilities while reducing the drain on their mana pool. During longer battles, the player must deciding between accumulating Overcharge to conserve mana or unleashing their abilities as soon as possible.

King's Bounty: Dark Side -- I enjoy the turn-based battles and variety of units you can use. It's definitely made for people who are already familiar with the series, since there is no tutorial.

Street Fighter 5 -- I need my fighting game fix. Honestly, the game was mess on launch, but I enjoyed the base game and the updates are slowly improving the experience.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I've finished playing the bonus episode of Life Is Strange: Before The Storm and it was awesome (even if heart-breaking).
Why AAA companies don't make more games like that instead of the 500th generic boring shooter? they should be even easier to do since clearly lower budget :)
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:45 pm I've finished playing the bonus episode of Life Is Strange: Before The Storm and it was awesome (even if heart-breaking).
Why AAA companies don't make more games like that instead of the 500th generic boring shooter? they should be even easier to do since clearly lower budget :)
Part of the problem is that the AAA companies are a lot like movie companies; they see something that becomes a blockbuster seller, earning billions of dollars, and they have to chase that bandwagon. Some of this is also attributable to the fact they answer to shareholders who normally demand the highest return on their investment in the least amount of time.

It also doesn't help that when something gets big, they also try to follow the trend. The problem with this is that if something makes it big, the companies are already behind the curve. Whether it is Call of Duty, or PUBG...and you can see it when it was MMORPGs, etc...they think if they make a similar product, they can get as much money. The problem is that people are normally invested in the thing which garners their attention.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes true, but I think both the life is strange games got a LOT of money (they were super successful) and I believe their ROI is much better than many other games. I think many AAA companies are still led by... "incompetent people" who think the main character must be a male, there must be blood, etc.
Less blood and more boob-ahem, more love :mrgreen:
I'm joking as usual but it's clear what I mean, if we consider that the most popular thing of Bioware games (both Dragon Age and Mass Effect series) wasn't the gameplay, but the story/romances...seems clear to me what many people want :)