Mass Effect: Andromeda

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
jack1974
Pack leader

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Post by jack1974 »

It's just me or... this game is boring? :(
I pre-ordered it, but honestly right now I am even considering if I'll ever finish it.
The romance dialogues are still OK, but overall the story/characters etc aren't up to the usual Bioware standards. And the combat is TERRIBLE. Literally the worst ever, respawning enemies, etc
The best moment was when I cleared a kett base and saved. Then after 5 minutes I died in a stupid way, but I thought "well I'll reload previous save" and then bam, the base was full of enemies again!! The base I just finished to clear! ROFL
In that moment I moved the difficulty to "narrative" :lol:

But even doing the quests etc feels like a chore and not fun at all. Doesn't help that I just finished the best game of the year (Horizons: Zero Dawn) so the difference of quality was rather shocking... :mrgreen: :twisted:
Madance
Druid

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Post by Madance »

HA! I wondered when would someone talk about that poor excuse of a game.
After the disaster that was the Mass Effect 3, I refused to buy any subsequent Mass Effect game. That colorful ending was just too much for me, and I was (like a lot of players) pissed with how they made all our choices meaningless and the end just nonsensical.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut, back to the Andromeda... I haven't really played, but I saw(oh god, have I saw this) how the internet broke over how terribly buggy the game was! IT WAS HILARIOUS! I actually wanted to try it just for the lol factor it got me.

Seeing these two youtube videos ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MEKM2amQ2E , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KWkao73HuU ) can show us how a game made with a budget like 40 MILLION OF DOLLARS ended up like it did...

I think I will buy it when the price gets very very low, and will make a lol let's play it in youtube.

It's unacceptable that in this age in gaming(specially with THIS BUDGET) this is happening. The first Mass effect was way more well done in so many terms compared to this. What is really sad it's that I loved the first and second Mass Effect...
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I liked the third too to be honest, ending aside :lol:
But yeah, if was an indie game (on a different scale, not 3d, etc) or something else, but a 40 M budget with I don't even know how many people working on it... it's really too much!!
The best thing are some romances dialogues, but the gameplay... ugh.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Well, maybe I'm on crack, but I played the game from start to finish in a week's time or so, had a great time after the first couple of planets (those were pretty boring though), and barely saw any really noticeable bugs. Yeah, there were some bad facial animations, strangely most of them were very early on, but let's get real here, people were intentionally wriggling their controllers around in strange ways and calling it "animation bugs" just to get on the hate train.

I'm honestly excited to see where the story goes from here.

Then again, I'm also one of those people who had zero issues with the graphics of PSCD, so maybe I'm just easier to please.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well for me wasn't the art, or bugs (it only crashed once, but for example I was never able to finish Deus Ex since would always crash at one specific point!!). It was the overall story not much interesting and the gameplay which was super generic shooter (and the respawning enemies was really a bad idea) with too many logic puzzles or jumping (I hate platformers though). I don't know how long it is though, I just saved the Moshae :)

Could just be that coming from the best game of the year (Horizons Zero Dawn) I am now biased :mrgreen:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I played the majority of the game as a sniper, headshotting most enemies without them ever noticing me, only bringing out the fully automatics when forced to, thus avoiding most of the traditional shooter woes. I loved exploring, both the galaxy and the planets. I mean seriously loved that! While I liked ME2's structured missions and storytelling better, exploring a foreign galaxy was dope to me.

I'm not playing Horizon Zero Dawn until they figure out to bring it to the PC, I don't like playing action games on the PS4.
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

I actually like it, yah some of the animations were janky and the cc was a huge step down from DA:I and only Skyrim has more woefully unattractive random NPCs....even with that said I have over 200 hours played game time think I am at level 101 or something lol...

I will parrot what Franka said, after you are given full freedom the game gets more fun, and you are now at that point Jack XD.

And @Bioware for the love of that all that is holy give us a damn option to skip the whole damn tutorial planet/zone...(They are evil that way) Maybe one day ME:A will have a dungeon be gone too XD.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Franka wrote:I played the majority of the game as a sniper, headshotting most enemies without them ever noticing me, only bringing out the fully automatics when forced to, thus avoiding most of the traditional shooter woes.
Yes, I started using one too and it's better. I had spent lot of points on shotgun... but basically it's useless, you have such a poor aim with it!! :lol:
Franka wrote:I'm not playing Horizon Zero Dawn until they figure out to bring it to the PC, I don't like playing action games on the PS4.
I don't mind, despite the PS4 inferior HW, the game is really PRETTY (probably the prettiest landscapes I've seen in any game!) and the protagonist is just... aww. But the gameplay is what really stands out, the most fun I ever had in ages!
Pace675 wrote:I will parrot what Franka said, after you are given full freedom the game gets more fun, and you are now at that point Jack XD.
Haha good, I'll try to stick with it more then! To be honest, Suvi makes everything more interesting :mrgreen: 8)
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

While I haven't played ME:A yet as I would need to upgrade my PC for it and considering that there is only one other game I want to play and can't with my current PC as big fun of ME series as I am I am not in a rush to do it. And while I heard so much negative stuff about it honestly to me it just seems like people jumping on hate train for every little thing. Like how many people complain that characters look ugly and I went and looked at characters and found those complaints to be a lot of BS.
There is also a fact that people are still unjustly hating on ME3, don't get me wrong when a game was out and I played it for a first time I was among those who took touches and headed toward all their websites to complain as well as among those who claimed it wasn't enough after they released an extended cut DLC. But after couple years past and I calmed down and took and replayed the ME trilogy I found that ending aside ME3 was actually a best game in trilogy, and after extended cut even the ending wasn't that bad, in fact I even liked the synthesis ending after extended cut.
My bet would be that a combination of anger toward ME3 original endings and EA in general combined with ME:A not being ME trilogy is what brings all the hate.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Given Bioware's past success, expectations for Andromeda were very high. Falling short of those expectations magnified the negative reactions. EA's sordid reputation and the fact that key employees left Bioware doesn't help things either.

Personally, I can't give an honest opinion of my own until I actually play it. However, I'm not in a hurry to get Andromeda when there are other games I could be playing. Heck, only finished ME1 and still working on ME2.