new card game idea

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
jack1974
Pack leader

new card game idea

Post by jack1974 »

I'm posting this here, because I am NOT working on this. It's just an idea. Just to talk and see what people think. I haven't started anything, there's no art, prototype, nothing. It's just an idea :)

OK now that this is clear enough :lol: here's what I was thinking to do: it would probably be one of my first gameplay-focused games in a long time. It would be low-priced, maybe something like $9.99.

The basic gameplay would be:
- several races/faction to choose, each one with its own cards set
- a map with towns/fortresses to conquer
- each town or region would give bonuses (have to figure out yet what)
- the map would be randomized every time. if I manage to do a tileset map it would really be completely random, otherwise the map layout would be the same but the town/region name/bonuses/whatever would be randomized
- different winning conditions: destroy everyone, or who control most map after X turns, etc

IF I do this I would do it in my spare time, which as you can imagine is very limited now. Probably I wouldn't start this year. It wouldn't delay any other game in the works (the biggest delay for all my games are the writers anyway :mrgreen:) so my usual fans don't need to worry. I would this all on my own so I could pause it anytime to finish any other "regular" games I usually do.

Since I enjoy doing such games, and I would keep the costs down, I wouldn't even worry too much if sells a lot or not. It would be an experiment and I might even try to sell first only on Steam, with launch discount and everything else, to see what happens (later would be available on my site too).

This would be one of my first experiment to do "something different" (but REALLY different) both in term of game but also launch/selling philosophy. Another game could be that CYOA with black/white art I wanted to do since long time, but for that I'll still need to write the story so would take me longer.
IotaOne
Young scout

Re: new card game idea

Post by IotaOne »

Quite Interesting, sounds like Heroes of Might and Magic with cards.
"Truth is like poetry. And most people f*cking hate poetry."
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I guess you could summarize it very well with that sentence! The setting could be anything from fantasy to dark gothic or steampunk or whatever :)
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

jack1974 wrote:Yes I guess you could summarize it very well with that sentence! The setting could be anything from fantasy to dark gothic or steampunk or whatever :)
Make it so! You haven't really hit on that genre yet...And the steam punk is in the works....... :twisted:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well Amber it's a bit dark gothic, albeit not like Darkest Dungeon of course :mrgreen:
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

jack1974 wrote:Well Amber it's a bit dark gothic, albeit not like Darkest Dungeon of course :mrgreen:

A little more dark plox XD, although buying Amber....when it releases XD.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

So I am not sure if I got this right but from last two points it sounds like you plan to make one of those games without campaign, if that is a case I am not very interested as I think any game should have campaign and at least a little bit of story.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I could do a campaign, but maybe first I would do without it to test the mechanics better (maybe in beta).
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote:I could do a campaign, but maybe first I would do without it to test the mechanics better (maybe in beta).
Now that makes me more interested :) .
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Well, I hope you don't make it vanilla fantasy. It sounds like a very generic game so I think it should have some personality in the setting at least.

In any case, you know I'm up for it no matter what.