New Comp

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
Franka
Elder Druid

New Comp

Post by Franka »

Yeah, so I finally got a new stationary gaming PC. Installing everything from scratch, I find that I'm not 20 years old any longer. Back then, I'd be done in a couple hours, including writing an autoexec.bat and config.sys to handle all my devices and memory allocation...

Spent 2 days on this sucker already, and I've yet to even get rid of all the /!\ in my device manager.

BAH!!
Pace675
Druid

Re: New Comp

Post by Pace675 »

Mmmmm days of MSDOS 3.0; where computing was a thing for the brave and bold. ^_^
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

When I was 20 I used to build my own computers from scratch! Now just thinking about it, gives me headache...
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Everything resolved, transferred from old comp, installed all my progs. Now to find a graphics heavy game to test this sucker out on!

When are you releasing World of Aravorn 3D?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Lol for that you'll have to wait a while!
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I wanted to build a gaming PC one day. However, lacking both funds and the know-how, that will have to wait.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yesterday had a mini-nervous break down :lol:
I wanted to play Far Cry 4 (during holidays I give myself more time to have fun) and discovered that doesn't work on dual core CPUs. I bought the computer 2 years ago, and basically even if other games say "quad core" for minimum requirements, I could play any game just fine (I only had to lower the gfx quality in some cases).
Instead I found out that the game was made ON PURPOSE this way, and that if you install a crack it will work on dual core... :roll:
Then had other issues like swapping a HD to another computer and almost wiped out all data and so on. When I have a bit of free time I want to have fun and play game and not mess with HW!
Long story short: I'm getting a PS4 :lol: to play those classic games (Fallout 4, GTA V, etc) but also because there are some specific games like Until Dawn which looks interesting (sort of VN/horror) and is a PS exclusive.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Isn't Fallout 4 also available on PC?

The fact there still console-exclusives that interest me is part of the reasons why I didn't invest in a better PC. I like really fighting games, and that genre is leans heavily on consoles.

That being said, I'm currently playing Wasteland 2 on the PS4, but it's only because I don't have a capable enough PC. It's definitely made to be played with mouse and keyboard, especially when controlling the camera. I also want custom portraits since I don't like the scant selection that they have...and the choices for character models are not great either.
Last edited by Jaeger on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I already have a PS4, that was my choice for getting new games. But my gaming PC was getting so old and cranky it could barely do anything, so it was time to treat myself. You can only replace parts for so long, it was indeed time for a quad core.

Oh, and Until Dawn is a most excellent game. As long as you're not OCD about all your characters surviving. :twisted:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes the ideal solution would be to have a PS4 AND a PC :lol:
My PC was fine, I mean even if it's dual core, was able to run most games. So Far Cry 4 is a problem on its own. Anyway, I thought to swap the MB+CPU with the "backup PC" I got for work, which is an AMD A10, so quad core and quite powerful (luckily to code my games I don't need a powerful computer!).
Now though Windows thinks I am using a pirate copy... :roll: I have three computers with all original licenses WTF!! I know it's because I changed the MB/CPU but it's getting a bit tiresome, treating everyone like a pirate :(
About Until Dawn no worries I am not OCD luckily. I usually play those games once, and then maybe if I can resume quickly to see different endings, otherwise I use youtube.
Definitely the renpy games are better since with fast-skipping you can easily replay to see different endings.
Oh and they work even on 5-6 years old computers :wink: (as long as it's not a Mac, but that's another story due to the OS breaking support with older version every time)