games for masochists? :D

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
DarkWolf
Druid

Re: games for masochists? :D

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote:Couldn't those top AAA companies learn from super small indies like me? Just use a tiered system which it's already 1000 times better!
Unfortunately now days many of those AAA companies will just copy/paste a system they already know without much thinking instead of try to improve it, that actually played a big part in fall of western gameing industry in last couple of years. True I guess from a point of indie game developer this is actually a good thing as it opened many possibilities for smaller game developers.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well they could at least offer different options, like I did with QoT (hit/miss chance on/off). Doesn't really take long and I think it would improve even their sales. Even if probably they don't need it :lol:
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

jack1974 wrote:Lol reviving this thread, since today played a bit that Mordheim game (I got it in this month Humble's monthly). I was very enthusiast about it until the first battle. In practice with a hit chance >60% you regularly miss 99% of the attacks. It's hard to explain but differently from XCOM2 (which still has that HORRIBLE hit/miss thing) this one seems like the AI really cheats.

Hit/miss chances should be banned in RPGs and combat systems FOREVER!!! I really don't understand the benefit, beside ruining the game experience. Couldn't those top AAA companies learn from super small indies like me? Just use a tiered system which it's already 1000 times better!

Instead of:
70% => full damage
30% => miss/0 damage

Simply do:
70% => full damage
25% => 25% damage
5% => half damage (or whatever balancing requires)

simple, no? no more ragequitting! :mrgreen:

Hit/miss chances are not inherently bad, thing. Random setbacks can help in adding a sense of tension and even encourage players to adapt when things go wrong. Players can experience failures, but they should be able to prevail when they make mostly good decisions. However, it's true some games don't balance risk and reward very well. Although I liked Fallout 2, those early levels are can be rough when a string of bad luck is a high probability.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

I think the game that did it worst for me lately was Darkest Dungeon. Even on playing easiest mode, and having appropriate levels and equipment, etc. I was getting wiped out way to often in the last levels for my tastes. Having finite time, and having to rebuild parties...

So, I basically just saved/copy/pasted the save file, making it similar to scum-saving to keep a party alive so I can see the ending.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The fun thing of those games is that many have a lot of complaints/negative reviews, but usually they're all very popular.
Maybe I should make such a game too :mrgreen: (joking)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Miakoda wrote:I think the game that did it worst for me lately was Darkest Dungeon.
I used Cheat Engine for that, and even then I didn't finish it, it was just such an insane, endless grind.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha wow. I only played it for a few hours. It's nice but as with other similar games, extremely punishing. But apparently it's what people want now :lol:
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Generally, I shy away from roguelikes. The last one I played was Guided Fate Paradox, which is supposedly one of the more accessible games of its ilk. Unfortunately, I hit a wall at the 4th Chapter, and haven't played it since.
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

Felici wrote:
jack1974 wrote:The fun thing of those games is that many have a lot of complaints/negative reviews, but usually they're all very popular.
Maybe I should make such a game too :mrgreen: (joking)
Maybe you actually should make a game :-D :lol:
Watch what ya say; he will do things if we push him too far! :lol: