General discussions not necessarily related to our games
jack1974
Pack leader

games for masochists? :D

Post by jack1974 »

Haha, forgive the title, but... if I check the most recent hits on Steam, like:
- Sunless Sea
- Darkest Dungeon
or even the old ones like FTL or Dark Souls, they seem to have all in common one thing: they're INCREDIBLY difficult and unforgiving. Dying seems part of the story. Now personally I hate this so I never played them much. I liked FTL, but every time seems like I KNEW I was going to lose, so after a while I quit. Dark Souls was even worse for me, I got it as part of the Playstation plus subscription, played maybe 20-25 minutes then immediately uninstalled it. If I had paid even $1 for it I would have been angry.

Yet the market clearly wants more of those hard, unforgiving, frustrating games. I definitely am out of the loop :o
Taleweaver
Official writer

Re: games for masochists? :D

Post by Taleweaver »

Don't ever start playing Nethack, then :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha I played it but was years ago. I don't think has changed much though :)
Anyway, I think that those games have great setting/atmosphere, but probably aren't just my cup of tea. I would prefer something difficult but not THAT difficult :oops:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

It's the nature of Roguelikes. They appeal to a certain kind of audience, both for their difficulty and for their procedurally generated content. I still remember getting to level 50 in Rogue, then being told, "You have to climb back out now." NOOOOOOOO
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

Reminds me a bit of the first Witcher game.
Spoiler:
If you failed to obtain spectre oil to rub on your sword, you could not defeat the first boss (helldog), with the added inconvenience of not being able to go back and get the oil. Even with the cream, defeating that first boss was very hard (I had to use a cheat to get higher power potions to get past him).
If I hadn't paid full retail for the game, I would have tossed it in the trash.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
Alex81
Woods ranger

Post by Alex81 »

jack1974 wrote:Haha, forgive the title, but... if I check the most recent hits on Steam, like:
- Sunless Sea
- Darkest Dungeon
or even the old ones like FTL or Dark Souls, they seem to have all in common one thing: they're INCREDIBLY difficult and unforgiving. Dying seems part of the story. o
You mean , like Seasons of the Wolf? ^^

(:o I get eaten alive by the enemies there, and ...only 50 percent health/mana back after sleeping at home in Chapter one? That's your toughest game so far!

All that said? I didn't really that much trouble With Dark Souls, I quickly learned to jump out of harms way when enemies attacked, and luckily ,their attack patters weren't that hard to learn.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha SOTW Nightmare difficulty is nothing compared to those new roguelikes... Darkest Dungeon & Co! :wink:
Harbinger1975
Young scout

Post by Harbinger1975 »

I think the toughest game for me (at the time) was Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. If you got caught not paying attention to your radar, your heat, your ammo and the damage to your Mech, and you got jumped by the Draconis Combine? Yeah, you were screwed. I can't tell you how many times it took me to try and beat one particular mission.
"Direct intervention is necessary. Assuming direct control."
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

I wish GoG would get a hold of Mechwarrior games, I'd enjoy playing through those again.

I still remember the time I completed a mission and my mech was busted up all to shit and I needed to get to the extraction point outside the city. so here I was slowly hoping on 1 leg with barely any systems left running for like the next 20mins to make it. Felt really good :D
Last edited by Sylrissa on Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I played those Mechwarrior games too, they were quite cool indeed :)