games for masochists? :D

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
Harbinger1975
Young scout

Re: games for masochists? :D

Post by Harbinger1975 »

There use to be a place called MekTek.net that use to help keep the games playable on today's systems. But...I just went looking for them and they are pretty much only focused on the next Heavy Gear which looks to be an Arena game. No thanks. God I miss those old Mech games. And no, I don't consider Mechwarrior Online a true Mechwarrior game. I was sickened by the sell outs to make it a multiplayer deathmatch.
"Direct intervention is necessary. Assuming direct control."
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Well, the most common criticism in many games today is they are too easy, especially for those who grew up playing games from the 90s or older. Being more challenging than most games in recent years is where Demon Souls and its successors found their niche.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I started playing games at end of 1980, but still nowadays I prefer easier games, or well balanced but it's hard. For example I'm playing DA:I in Normal difficulty and found it perfect for me, but in some other cases the "Normal" difficulty was just insane.
I played Demon Souls/Dark Souls (don't remember which one) for about 10 minutes and then quit it! :lol: I got it free with PS+, otherwise I would have been angry to have paid for it, because for me it's zero fun, though of course I understand it's a great game and some players love it... to death :mrgreen:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I don't have the patience I did as a kid though. I can't try the same bloody level over and over until I get it right (or start the game from scratch if I run out of lives). I mean, back then I could play Aztec Challenge over and over and over just to get to the fricking pyramid, and that was just level 1 (admittedly, that was the hardest level).

It's different with (most) roguelikes though, they're designed with limited progression in mind, so dying is part of the design. Same thing with Souls games, but I cheated in those. ;)
Taleweaver
Official writer

Post by Taleweaver »

The Wonderful 101, on 101% Hard difficulty. Ugh. THAT's a game for masochists alright.
DX5536
Young scout

Post by DX5536 »

Touhou man...just touhou xD Getting reap while listen to great musics
"But there was no such thing as an eternity..."~ Orihara Kouhei from One ~Kagayaku Kisetsu e~
Alex81
Woods ranger

Post by Alex81 »

Games for masochists?

Jack's games on Nightmare settings :p

(Seasons of the Wolf was -extremely- hard, but still fair and rewarding)

As for Darkest Dungeon? It's fantastic, the music, the mood, the -dark- feel of it all is truly masterfully done.
I can't imagine I've seen gothic horror done better. (Got this kindof Warhammer Fantasy feel over it all)
pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus »

Well I am a fan of most of those Rogue-lites, Darkest Dungeon, Sunless Sea, etc. Have them and your games on my Steam account. One set is for challenging myself the other when I just want good stories, though Sunless Sea has a really great setting, the story gets old quickly as lots of it repeats on itself.

I also love the really long epic RPGs like Witcher and Dragon Age and even other genres. Guess I am a sampler like player. Thing is I like individual games more than a specific genre or even setting. Guess I am just an odd duck is all.
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

You all forget about Lorean MMOs.....nothing but a grind fest....XD
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Lol reviving this thread, since today played a bit that Mordheim game (I got it in this month Humble's monthly). I was very enthusiast about it until the first battle. In practice with a hit chance >60% you regularly miss 99% of the attacks. It's hard to explain but differently from XCOM2 (which still has that HORRIBLE hit/miss thing) this one seems like the AI really cheats.

Hit/miss chances should be banned in RPGs and combat systems FOREVER!!! I really don't understand the benefit, beside ruining the game experience. Couldn't those top AAA companies learn from super small indies like me? Just use a tiered system which it's already 1000 times better!

Instead of:
70% => full damage
30% => miss/0 damage

Simply do:
70% => full damage
25% => 25% damage
5% => half damage (or whatever balancing requires)

simple, no? no more ragequitting! :mrgreen: