Character Poses

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
ChaosMorning
Young scout

Character Poses

Post by ChaosMorning »

One thing that I would have to say really makes a VN for me is character poses - when a character's only change is a switch of clothes or a different expression, it starts to feel a little weird, looking at this forced position that they're always in.

A few Winterwolves games have had minimal character changes (Planet Stronghold, I believe to be the best example - I don't believe there were any poses and there were very few expressions); while others have been very good in terms of having many expressions and different character poses (such as the Flower Shop games).

I can understand if these aren't always implemented for financial reasons, but I believe that whenever possible they should be put in (I understand that 'camp poses' are being done, but I find them to be a bit unrelated and not nearly as 'necessary' as different poses for character sprites), perhaps not for lower budget games but perhaps in future RPG games like Roger Steel.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Character Poses

Post by jack1974 »

Yes that's true is a good suggestion... for SOTW and Loren 2 I have already the base sprites without any extra poses apart a few characters (I forgot about this), but for Roger Steel might consider having alternate poses!
Ageha1304
Young scout

Post by Ageha1304 »

Well, despite having lack of poses, the games are still very good. I mostly get caught in text anyway, so I guess I'm exactly looking from characters to change poses.
Every rule has an exception. Even this one.
ChaosMorning
Young scout

Post by ChaosMorning »

jack1974 wrote:Yes that's true is a good suggestion... for SOTW and Loren 2 I have already the base sprites without any extra poses apart a few characters (I forgot about this), but for Roger Steel might consider having alternate poses!
Oh good! Hopefully it'll make it into the game :D
Ageha1304 wrote:Well, despite having lack of poses, the games are still very good. I mostly get caught in text anyway, so I guess I'm exactly looking from characters to change poses.
Oh yeah, Loren was still a good game despite this - however I'd say Planet Stronghold's best aspect was its art, so this detracted a bit from it - but yes, they can still be really good games without extra poses, it's just that I believe they really make the game more visually appealing, which is something VNs do need, time from time, as it can get a bit dull when looking at purely static images.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Having alternate arm/hands poses is not much effort, different poses is because you also need to change the face angle and the expressions. I think it would also be nice to have more CGs to represent the key moments of the plot, is what I am trying to do with Loren 2.
ChaosMorning
Young scout

Post by ChaosMorning »

Which I think is a great idea, (the more CGs the better!) I simply think that having different sprites enhances the more 'mundane' parts of the game :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes for sure, and is not that much expensive. To be honest for Loren 2 I had planned that but then I forgot to tell the artist before the sprites were colored :oops:
ChaosMorning
Young scout

Post by ChaosMorning »

:lol: Well perhaps we'll still have them for Roger - btw, do you have an artist planned for Roger?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I hope to use Loren's artist again since he's great :)
ChaosMorning
Young scout

Post by ChaosMorning »

Oh, he is!

What about backgrounds?