How Do You Plan For Your Games?

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: How Do You Plan For Your Games?

Post by jack1974 »

Lonestar51 wrote:I remember at least one interview with you at RPS, which may have been some years ago... But basically you are right: I have never seen any coverage of your games at RPS in the last few years.
Yes that interview was back in 2008, BEFORE I started making the manga games. I think in particular, western journalists have a problem with manga art. Even when they reviewed games of popular indies like C.Love, they added "a pity about the manga art" or "if you ignore the manga art" like if was some negative thing. I don't care, I like manga art and I'll continue make such games :mrgreen:
Vera Blanc for example was reviewed in many more sites, and even got positive reviews by some famous journalists. Yet is one of my worst selling games ever, so... :lol:
Lonestar51 wrote: Does social marketing also attract new customers? I would have thought that it is a way to make satisfied customers returning customers, but not that many new customers go your way that route. How does one stumble to your games? (Except via Desura, like me...)
That's hard to tell - that's basically one of the main problem of marketing. You cannot never be sure of what works unless you have a clear way to measure it. When I do promotions with a code I can measure the success, but apart that? I have tracking cookies but they're not really reliable. Is more like I know that NOT doing it would be bad, so I do it. Besides I like to interact with people/customers when I have time.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Re: How Do You Plan For Your Games?

Post by Lonestar51 »

Interesting insights. Usually people will do whatever for getting an article in whichever relevant magazine - but you thrive without, so they may be wrong.

Thanks for letting us in to your most precious secrets.