Request: The Developer's Take on His Own Games

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
Leadman
Young scout

Request: The Developer's Take on His Own Games

Post by Leadman »

Yeah, I thought something like this could be fun, if you have he time.

Jack, out of you games, which ones do you think are the best, and why?

When I say best, I don't mean graphics or story-wise, unless that's what you like better than everything else - but it can also mean the best games in terms of your creativity, or best selling or the one were you liked the original concept and ideas the most etc. - YOU decide why it's the best.
But I'd like to hear it, if you please.

How about you make a... Hmm... Top FOUR of the best of your games/visual novels/things you've developed and a quick backstory as to why you choose those? Anything goes!
Oh and it's not a prioritized top four - so it doesn't have to mean that number 1 is 'better' than number 4, just that these four games you consider your best among the ones you developed for different reasons :D

(And yes I chose 'top 4 games' because that's not a regular number and I like being strange on purpose! :P)
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Request: The Developer's Take on His Own Games

Post by jack1974 »

Yes is fun, will do it but will be short because... no time :(

1. Loren Amazon Princess - this is obvious. Is the biggest, the better. It has the biggest cast, a very detailed RPG framework, best artwork (though this might be beaten in future games) and took me longer to make so was quite satisfying (even if stressing while doing it).
2. Planet Stronghold - I like it mainly because I made it all on my own, even if can't compete with Loren for the writing, I think the plot is more original (even if characters/characterization is weaker). Art is cool, might not be for everyone's tastes but this artist is really good at making romance/kiss scenes. The combat while different from Loren is more "old school" and I like that. Plus I love sci-fi :)
3. Spirited Heart - for several reasons, because was one of my first manga games, because I loved playing Princess Maker, because I like to design life simulation games, and because was one of my first games to become a bit popular!
4. Bionic Heart - because I think is the best story I've written, even if the game didn't do particularly well. Now I don't write stories myself anymore (at least for now) but again, I like sci-fi and I like "space opera" as literature. I was a big fan of BattleStar Galactica, but more than anything else I loved the romances of that series. BH2 might become my new favorite, if I can fix all the plot holes in time :oops:

Of course, I liked also writing Heileen and the other games but if I had to pick 4, I'd chose the one above.
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Post by deathknight1728 »

There is one thing about you the developer that I dont understand. Are you Jack Norton or Celso Riva? Im not trying to pry into your life but I just want to know who the great maker is of these games.
?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Jack Norton is my internet nickname, but my real name is Celso Riva :)