other indies recomendation

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: other indies recomendation

Post by Franka »

I bought Northmark a while ago since it's the type of game I enjoy. Sadly, it is extremely unbalanced and the last third or so of the game feels horribly rushed. The first hour or so is entertaining though.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

While is a full team and definitions of indies might vary, this game from some dev friends is amazingly good:
http://www.cardhunter.com/
BEWARE, is FREE TO PLAY, but you can actually play for hours without paying :wink:
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I have mixed feelings about the "free to play" business model. It eases in players to try a game that they otherwise would pass. However, it opens doors to microtransaction schemes, especially when bought content gives the player an edge. It's been invading fighting games as of late too, although at the moment they just add options than giving a competitive advantage.

For old time's sake, I played Samorost, a short (can be finished in less than an hour) browser-based adventure game a friend introduced to me in college. It has a quirky, but appealing art direction, although the puzzles are semi-logical. I haven't tried any of the commercial games created by Amanita Design though.
Last edited by Jaeger on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Post by deathknight1728 »

"For those who don’t like scary stuff, you’ll be able to play the game with the mystery/scary stuff, or like a regular otome dating sim. Though so far based on the feedback people seems to enjoy that kind of things, at the point that I’m seriously considering doing a horror game in future!"-Jack

Owwhoo!!!!!

That is jack howling like a wolf in a vampire rpg. No just kidding. I had to say something after reading that. It is true though that the more adversity in a game and more nefariousness generally people like that kind of.

For other indies try Divine Divinity. Its got real time with pause, control 1 character and the game is adequately challenging. What have you to lose?
?
Solvus
Young scout

Post by Solvus »

This was the first indie game I'd played: http://wulfhammer.org/

it is like the old sorta rpg style of gameboy of final fantasy

Only one person develop all of that game, had some art work submitted to add flare. Download the deluxe edition, it is free
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

There is a review of Cardhunter out at RockPaperShotgun. It seems as if they do not (yet...) do the most offensive part of "free to play": Equipment you only get for cash (or for unrealistic amounts of grinding), and which is needed for progress. (For now...) Any stuff to be bought for real money is cosmetic.

That said, I did not try it out myself. Which may change... but I sure wont go PvP.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it, I'm totally against F2P, microtransactions and such, and I can't stand games that uses that. I prefer good old single player RPGs, even if I have to say that Guild Wars 2 is funny (but I play it as single player game).
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

F2P doesn't bother me that much as long as those extras aren't required to beat the game. If not buying equipment means playing at what basically amounts to the HARD difficulty level, that's fine by me. I always play at the hardest difficulty level any way.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Well ... I did register for card hunter. However, the game needs Flash 11.5, and for Linux there is no flash beyond 11.2 (and seems like there never will be), so I rebooted to Win ... and played something else. If you are doing flash, do it right. Grrr.
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

While Adobe is no longer releasing newer versions of their Flash plugin for Linux, they do collaborate with Google to ensure that Flash works in Chrome on Linux. The Pepper plugin can apparently also be transferred from Chrome to the open source Chromium. I haven't tried it out yet myself, but I probably will soon.