other indies recomendation

Post by ValHallen »

hey guys and gals i would like indication for good indie games
the only thing i dont want is it to require steam
Foelhe
Young scout

Re: other indies recomendation

Post by Foelhe »

Hanako Games is a pretty good one, if you like VNs and life sims.
thesleepykitten
Official writer

Post by thesleepykitten »

Anything from http://www.sakevisual.com/ is sure to be great. I recommend the Jisei series if you're into murder mysteries.
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

If you are looking for free (legal, not pirated) visual novels, there are lots at http://www.renai.us/

Many of these are made by hobbyists.
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Post by deathknight1728 »

fleetp wrote:If you are looking for free (legal, not pirated) visual novels, there are lots at http://www.renai.us/

I have to admit I have not seen many other indie companies like Winter Wolves out there. I do not consider Winterwolves to be like eastern/anime because the games are serious without a heavily cartoon-type look of other anime games. The premise is very much like western style rpgs.

Ive tried to get into other based games but couldn't find any that were worth it. I tried deadly sin and aveyond but didnt like them much. If anyone knows of any other indie rpgs like Wwolves games, I'd be glad to know.
?
Mariko
Young scout

Post by Mariko »

deathknight1728 wrote:
fleetp wrote:If you are looking for free (legal, not pirated) visual novels, there are lots at http://www.renai.us/

I have to admit I have not seen many other indie companies like Winter Wolves out there. I do not consider Winterwolves to be like eastern/anime because the games are serious without a heavily cartoon-type look of other anime games. The premise is very much like western style rpgs.

Ive tried to get into other based games but couldn't find any that were worth it. I tried deadly sin and aveyond but didnt like them much. If anyone knows of any other indie rpgs like Wwolves games, I'd be glad to know.
Ditto on that. I've looked around too and WinterWolves seems to be an a class by themselves.
"umm... They were like this when we found them."--- Dora
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Post by deathknight1728 »

I found one game a little while back. It was being advertised under planet stronghold. Its called: Northmark Hour of the Wolf and it looks a little like some of Winter Wolves games. It got reviewed well but I never played it. Have you or anyone else had the luck to?
?
Mariko
Young scout

Post by Mariko »

deathknight1728 wrote:I found one game a little while back. It was being advertised under planet stronghold. Its called: Northmark Hour of the Wolf and it looks a little like some of Winter Wolves games. It got reviewed well but I never played it. Have you or anyone else had the luck to?

I just downloaded the demo and played just a few seconds. Just through the first battle. I have no idea how big the story is but at first glance it does seem like a well made game just based on the music and the art. I'd say it's worth checking out the demo at least.

http://www.rakeingrass.com/game_northmark.php
"umm... They were like this when we found them."--- Dora
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I often promote other indies games as affiliate in my newsletter, and Northmark is one of those :)
Regarding the games, thanks for the kind words, I'm trying to do the best! I actually started making RPGs because I really can't stand RPGMaker games. I hate tilemaps, exploring them, wasting hours walking in huge 2d maps to reach a place, and so on. I prefer more immediate gameplay and eye-candy 8)
You won't find many games like those I do also because they are much more expensive (2d pixel sprites vs a LOT of hand drawn artwork, and usually of good quality) and also because they take MUCH MORE TIME. So more money+time=more risks of artists disappearing (which seems their favorite skill :lol:).
Just as example: Loren 1 art took TEN MONTHS to make, used a main artist + 2 colorists + GUI/icon artist. Other games like Planet Stronghold 2 use mainly one artist but she's working on the art since 2 years (well, she's not working on it full time though :wink:).
I always wonder if the next game I'm starting will get out, but so far I've been lucky :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I played the demo of Northmark a while back. The art is good quality all around. The card-based battle system was fun and easy to get into, although the selection of abilities you get from cards could be fleshed out more. There is more narration/dialogue than expected, but the writing falls flat, to put it gently.

For those that like point-and-click adventures, I recommend the Blackwell series. They are on the short side though, only taking about 3 hours to finish.

Platformers are a dime a dozen, but are there are any that were particularly interesting?
Last edited by Jaeger on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.