other indies recomendation

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
User avatar
ValHallen
Druid
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:56 am

other indies recomendation

Post by ValHallen » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:50 pm

hey guys and gals i would like indication for good indie games
the only thing i dont want is it to require steam

Foelhe
Young scout
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:23 pm

Re: other indies recomendation

Post by Foelhe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Hanako Games is a pretty good one, if you like VNs and life sims.

User avatar
thesleepykitten
Official writer
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 4:52 am
Location: Canada

Re: other indies recomendation

Post by thesleepykitten » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Anything from http://www.sakevisual.com/ is sure to be great. I recommend the Jisei series if you're into murder mysteries.

fleetp
Druid
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:17 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: other indies recomendation

Post by fleetp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:50 pm

If you are looking for free (legal, not pirated) visual novels, there are lots at http://www.renai.us/

Many of these are made by hobbyists.

deathknight1728
Woods ranger
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: other indies recomendation

Post by deathknight1728 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:52 am

fleetp wrote:If you are looking for free (legal, not pirated) visual novels, there are lots at http://www.renai.us/

Many of these are made by hobbyists.
I have to admit I have not seen many other indie companies like Winter Wolves out there. I do not consider Winterwolves to be like eastern/anime because the games are serious without a heavily cartoon-type look of other anime games. The premise is very much like western style rpgs.

Ive tried to get into other based games but couldn't find any that were worth it. I tried deadly sin and aveyond but didnt like them much. If anyone knows of any other indie rpgs like Wwolves games, I'd be glad to know.
?

Mariko
Young scout
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: other indies recomendation

Post by Mariko » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:18 pm

deathknight1728 wrote:
fleetp wrote:If you are looking for free (legal, not pirated) visual novels, there are lots at http://www.renai.us/

Many of these are made by hobbyists.
I have to admit I have not seen many other indie companies like Winter Wolves out there. I do not consider Winterwolves to be like eastern/anime because the games are serious without a heavily cartoon-type look of other anime games. The premise is very much like western style rpgs.

Ive tried to get into other based games but couldn't find any that were worth it. I tried deadly sin and aveyond but didnt like them much. If anyone knows of any other indie rpgs like Wwolves games, I'd be glad to know.
Ditto on that. I've looked around too and WinterWolves seems to be an a class by themselves.
"umm... They were like this when we found them."--- Dora

deathknight1728
Woods ranger
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: other indies recomendation

Post by deathknight1728 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:56 pm

I found one game a little while back. It was being advertised under planet stronghold. Its called: Northmark Hour of the Wolf and it looks a little like some of Winter Wolves games. It got reviewed well but I never played it. Have you or anyone else had the luck to?
?

Mariko
Young scout
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: other indies recomendation

Post by Mariko » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:36 am

deathknight1728 wrote:I found one game a little while back. It was being advertised under planet stronghold. Its called: Northmark Hour of the Wolf and it looks a little like some of Winter Wolves games. It got reviewed well but I never played it. Have you or anyone else had the luck to?

I just downloaded the demo and played just a few seconds. Just through the first battle. I have no idea how big the story is but at first glance it does seem like a well made game just based on the music and the art. I'd say it's worth checking out the demo at least.

http://www.rakeingrass.com/game_northmark.php
"umm... They were like this when we found them."--- Dora

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 13499
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: other indies recomendation

Post by jack1974 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:17 pm

I often promote other indies games as affiliate in my newsletter, and Northmark is one of those :)
Regarding the games, thanks for the kind words, I'm trying to do the best! I actually started making RPGs because I really can't stand RPGMaker games. I hate tilemaps, exploring them, wasting hours walking in huge 2d maps to reach a place, and so on. I prefer more immediate gameplay and eye-candy 8)
You won't find many games like those I do also because they are much more expensive (2d pixel sprites vs a LOT of hand drawn artwork, and usually of good quality) and also because they take MUCH MORE TIME. So more money+time=more risks of artists disappearing (which seems their favorite skill :lol:).
Just as example: Loren 1 art took TEN MONTHS to make, used a main artist + 2 colorists + GUI/icon artist. Other games like Planet Stronghold 2 use mainly one artist but she's working on the art since 2 years (well, she's not working on it full time though :wink:).
I always wonder if the next game I'm starting will get out, but so far I've been lucky :)

User avatar
Jaeger
Druid
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:30 am

Re: other indies recomendation

Post by Jaeger » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:56 pm

I played the demo of Northmark a while back. The art is good quality all around. The card-based battle system was fun and easy to get into, although the selection of abilities you get from cards could be fleshed out more. There is more narration/dialogue than expected, but the writing falls flat, to put it gently.

For those that like point-and-click adventures, I recommend the Blackwell series. They are on the short side though, only taking about 3 hours to finish.

Platformers are a dime a dozen, but are there are any that were particularly interesting?
Last edited by Jaeger on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply