other indies recomendation

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
Jaeger
Druid

Re: other indies recomendation

Post by Jaeger »

Iji was the first indie game I played, and lead to my interest in indie games in general. It's a action/platformer with the story that branches out depending on whether not the player chooses to use violence to against the alien forces encountered. It's not a particularly lengthy game, but it does have decent amount of replay value and a surprising number of secrets. Recently, Daniel Remar (the author), has been working on an update to accommodate modern PCs (the game is almost 10 years old) and add new content. It's also freeware, like most, if not all of his games. I want to replay Iji again, once the update is finished.

I have been thinking of getting Pillars of Eternity. How does it fare compared to Baldur's Gate 2 (which I haven't finished yet)?
Last edited by Jaeger on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Jaeger wrote:I have been thinking of getting getting Pillars of Eternity? How does it fare compared to Baldur's Gate 2 (which I haven't finished yet)?
I've owned it for years now, and only managed to play about 2 hours. I guess the intro is not so compelling. :lol: I would definitely finish BG2 and maybe Throne of Bhaal first. I've played through BG2, oh, approximately 12 times. Granted, I didn't have quite so many games to choose from back then.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha weird. I thought PoE intro wasn't interesting too! I mean looks like a cool game, but... not sure. The whole game world is not really inspiring to me :)
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

This has probably already been mentioned, but Undertale from a guy named Toby Fox is pretty cool.

RPG w/ retro 8-bit graphics/sound (mainly) in which one can befriend would-be enemies rather than kill them.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Franka wrote: I've owned it for years now, and only managed to play about 2 hours. I guess the intro is not so compelling. :lol: I would definitely finish BG2 and maybe Throne of Bhaal first. I've played through BG2, oh, approximately 12 times. Granted, I didn't have quite so many games to choose from back then.
jack1974 wrote:Haha weird. I thought PoE intro wasn't interesting too! I mean looks like a cool game, but... not sure. The whole game world is not really inspiring to me :)
I got the impression that the setting wasn't particularly original, although I'm willing to look past that if good writing or mechanics can make up for it. I have wished BG was better about giving player feedback, especially when comes to spells and buffs.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Jaeger wrote:I got the impression that the setting wasn't particularly original, although I'm willing to look past that if good writing or mechanics can make up for it. I have wished BG was better about giving player feedback, especially when comes to spells and buffs.
Well, yes, it helps to have played AD&D 2nd edition for too many years.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

For me the worst thing of all those games based on the infinity engine (I think, might be another name) is the real-time pausable combat. For BG was clear enough, but PoE was rather confusing. In practice couldn't figure out which character did what to who, unless I constantly looked at the battle log... :oops:
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

For me PoE was one of best games ever game-play wise but I thought story and characters ware pretty dull and uninteresting, half way true I kinda forgot what was I even suppose to be doing story wise, and when it comes to side quest more often then not I couldn't even figure out what is going on and didn't really care who's side i pick. Without good story and characters I often lose motivation to finish a game no matter how good game-play is and it was the same case with PoE. I just have no real filling I am advancing in game without story and if story is really bad I don't care for it witch is the same as if it's there.